Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:53 AM

230 posts, read 626,364 times

Advertisements

Funny thing is when I got on the plane in Afghanistan to come home from deployment, the temperature in Southern Afghanistan was still WELL in the 90's. Two weeks later when I got to Sioux Falls with my family, our first day here in town saw a temperature of -23 when I arrived and it was snowing like crazy !!!

Even funnier is now I'm looking forward to the coming winter and snow !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 11:03 AM

41 posts, read 131,994 times
Hey GI Mark, you served in Afghanistan??? Well a big Thank You, Mahalo, Arigato from my family to you. I really appreciate everything that you have done for us. We appreciate the sacrifices made on your behalf. Once again MAHALO...

Old 08-07-2008, 11:26 AM

I will simply say, "thank you" and add this...

Having people thank me for my service has given me the opportunity to always add in return, "Thank you for telling me thank you, because service members of the past wars didn't have the great reception that service members are enjoying during these conflicts today."

Vietnam vets have been and continue to be a motivating force in how I have conducted myself in service to my Country. So once again, "thank you"...

Old 08-07-2008, 05:14 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_Mark View Post
Funny thing is when I got on the plane in Afghanistan to come home from deployment, the temperature in Southern Afghanistan was still WELL in the 90's. Two weeks later when I got to Sioux Falls with my family, our first day here in town saw a temperature of -23 when I arrived and it was snowing like crazy !!!

Even funnier is now I'm looking forward to the coming winter and snow !!!
That's funny Mark. When I'm outside in this summer heat, I just look up the temperatures in the Middle East. Today it was 111 degrees in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Makes me feel a lot cooler!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:43 PM

Yep, the temperatures here have not bothered me in the least. Even when in the 90's, I've been quite comfortable. Not hard to do when you spend the majority of the year in the 100's. The highest temperature recorded over there during our year was 140. I actually have a picture in front of the thermometer. That weeks average temperature was 135. So yes, I'll take 90 any day !!!

I am loveing the weather here in Sioux Falls !!!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:43 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,510 times
It has been nicer today in Sioux Falls with the drier air. Danny, you could have some of our humidity that has been around off and on this summer (dewpoints in the mid to upper 70s-New Orleans type humimdity).

The drier air is nice. I swear, some of the humid days this summer make me feel like I was in St. Louis or KC, even Memphis and Mississippi on bad days (really high dew points and around 90 degrees) where one can cut the humidity with a knife.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:08 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Oh yea, bring on that humidity. That is about the only thing that I don't like about the Hills area. I like to have my humidity.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:17 AM

41 posts, read 131,994 times
OK guys, so now is the dilemma. My husband did get offered the job in Sioux Falls (Harrisburg), but it is with a small pay cut. I know the cost of living in Sioux Falls is much lower than in Hawaii, but I still have Hawaii size bills to pay, loans etc.... So where do we go from here. Wish us luck.
GI Mark, my hubby says thank you to you. He served in the last few days of the Vietnam conflict, and he is very patriotic. With a passion. Hope to hear from you guys again.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:31 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
Chris, we've been having a pretty good share of humidity out here in the Hills this summer. Probably not as bad as out east, but everyone keeps saying, "Feels like Sioux Falls out here."

Old 08-08-2008, 05:23 AM

Kaohinani, tell your husband I said thank you. Many times people forget who came before them and helped pave the way for their own successes. The Vietnam era was always an interesting time for me to go back and read about. There were many lessons to be learned from that conflict and I have personally taken some of that and applied it to expectations I have applied to myself. I think I'm not only a better Soldier, but a better person for having an understanding of those Soldiers.

I truly hope that things work out for you and your family and if that means you end up in South Dakota, then Happy Happy. Good luck and once again, if there is anything I might be able to do to assist, please let me know.

Happy decision making !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls