Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:09 AM

106 posts, read 344,369 times

Advertisements

I need to keep track of this my friends! Is this my third or fourth My Opinion Thread? Anyways, this next topic is about my opinion on what is going to need to happen between Sioux Falls and Harrisburg between Minnesota and Cliff Avenues and just to the east of Cliff:

Between Sioux Falls and Harrisburg are cornfields and houses, along with roads that continue to increase traffic wise (Minnesota and Cliff). There is so much that needs to happen in this area within the next few years, in 'my opinion'. Currently, everyone continues to focus on the east sides and the west sides. The Dawley Farm Village and Foss Fields development, and on the west side the continuation of Meadows on the River. The north side is of course growing, however the north side was not growing nearly as fast as the south side was growing in the past. Right now the city continues to invest into road construction on the south side. With the paving of 85th Street and also getting it ready to make it four lanes, along with completeing 69th Street between Tallgrass Avenue and Southeastern Avenue and even further east from that towards a new residential development.

But as this middle to upper class part of the city continues to grow, and as Harrisburg continues to rocket towards 5,000 (currently at 4,500, second largest city in Lincoln County) and even up to 10,000 in the future, so is the need for more retail on the cities south central side.

Between 69th Street and 101st Street (between Minnesota and Cliff) is where I believe something needs to happen. This area continues to grow, maybe not as fast as some may think, but it still continues to grow at a dramatic rate. Im going to put something in proportion here for you. If you live around the 57th and Cliff area, the two Targets in Sioux Falls (im counting the new one) are over 4 miles from you. Same goes for WalMart, Menards, Applebees, and many other popular businesses. In average cities, those locations are usually under 2 1/2 miles from you. I've looked at other cities and many other cities our size have 3 Wal-Mart's and 2 Target's on average. Even Fargo is building their third WalMart on their south side. If you think about it, with Moorhead, Fargo is very similar in layout with us, however their north side isnt growing nearly as fast as ours.

So to me, (I live on the south side), there needs to be another development on the south side. Why? Well to wrap it all up, it would be very nice to drive in from out of town, get off at the Tea Exit (101st Street), drive down to Cliff, stop at Wal-Mart or some place like that, get some fast food (not every day, thats unhealthy!), and then head home to either the south side or Harrisburg.

Whats your view?

-Flyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 11:27 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,925,813 times
I agree. But most cities our size (outside the upper Midwest) do not have Shopkos and Lewis Drugs neither, which could explain why the city does not have as many Wal-Marts as it may have. A third Wal-Mart would be nice and the south side or NW side would be best places to put a Wal-Mart. Not much will happen on getting big box stores on the south end until the economy improves and major players such as Wal Mart and Target are willing to invest more in expansion.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:32 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,410,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsdflyer View Post
I need to keep track of this my friends! Is this my third or fourth My Opinion Thread? Anyways, this next topic is about my opinion on what is going to need to happen between Sioux Falls and Harrisburg between Minnesota and Cliff Avenues and just to the east of Cliff:

Between Sioux Falls and Harrisburg are cornfields and houses, along with roads that continue to increase traffic wise (Minnesota and Cliff). There is so much that needs to happen in this area within the next few years, in 'my opinion'. Currently, everyone continues to focus on the east sides and the west sides. The Dawley Farm Village and Foss Fields development, and on the west side the continuation of Meadows on the River. The north side is of course growing, however the north side was not growing nearly as fast as the south side was growing in the past. Right now the city continues to invest into road construction on the south side. With the paving of 85th Street and also getting it ready to make it four lanes, along with completeing 69th Street between Tallgrass Avenue and Southeastern Avenue and even further east from that towards a new residential development.

But as this middle to upper class part of the city continues to grow, and as Harrisburg continues to rocket towards 5,000 (currently at 4,500, second largest city in Lincoln County) and even up to 10,000 in the future, so is the need for more retail on the cities south central side.

Between 69th Street and 101st Street (between Minnesota and Cliff) is where I believe something needs to happen. This area continues to grow, maybe not as fast as some may think, but it still continues to grow at a dramatic rate. Im going to put something in proportion here for you. If you live around the 57th and Cliff area, the two Targets in Sioux Falls (im counting the new one) are over 4 miles from you. Same goes for WalMart, Menards, Applebees, and many other popular businesses. In average cities, those locations are usually under 2 1/2 miles from you. I've looked at other cities and many other cities our size have 3 Wal-Mart's and 2 Target's on average. Even Fargo is building their third WalMart on their south side. If you think about it, with Moorhead, Fargo is very similar in layout with us, however their north side isnt growing nearly as fast as ours.

So to me, (I live on the south side), there needs to be another development on the south side. Why? Well to wrap it all up, it would be very nice to drive in from out of town, get off at the Tea Exit (101st Street), drive down to Cliff, stop at Wal-Mart or some place like that, get some fast food (not every day, thats unhealthy!), and then head home to either the south side or Harrisburg.

Whats your view?

-Flyer
Flyer, Good post... Keep them coming!

I was disappointed by Walmarts decision to back out of the 60th Street North location a year or two back... It would've been a perfect location, and a chance to jump start development in that NW quadrant. Maybe with Benson Road being expanded this summer, more development can occur.... I think Benson & I-29 would be perfect for a Walmart or a chain grocery store.

On the south side, I could see a Walmart being built in the future.
I think the north location would be better. I wonder if our city planning commission had something to do with the 60th Street location rejection.

I think Hy-Vee would have a great market in either the NW (Benson Rd & Marion Rd).

The area you are talking about is void of commercial development... except for gas stations, etc. The nearest fast food would be the McD's on Louise/I-229...

Old 06-10-2009, 10:30 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,690,476 times
Its so strange seeing all the small numbers of Sioux Falls' streets, in Omaha we have contiguous development to about 204th, and your talking about 69th and 101st which would be in the heart of our city!

Anyways your plan sounds great Flyer, are you an urban planner?

Old 06-10-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Its so strange seeing all the small numbers of Sioux Falls' streets, in Omaha we have contiguous development to about 204th, and your talking about 69th and 101st which would be in the heart of our city!

Anyways your plan sounds great Flyer, are you an urban planner?
Omaha is on a different wavelength than Sioux Falls.
Omaha has a population of 450,000 with a metro of 900,000.

Omaha has always had big development on the west side, and the streets increase as you go west.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:05 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,690,476 times
Yeah I know it just seems odd to me, even though I know Sioux Falls only has about 250,000 people.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:54 AM

106 posts, read 344,369 times
MJ, just a slight correction. There is actually a Taco Johns at 57th & Cliff now and a KFC is opening this fall at 57th and MacArthur (block west where the new Mixed Use Retail/Apts. are going, right in front of that). 57th & Cliff is really starting to spur now, there was going to be a Burger king in the empty lot next to Dacotah Bank in front of Sunshine but so much for that. I would love to see a Coffee Shop or sit down restaurant.

And Go Ne im not a city planner, however I will probably end up running for top office here in SF in a couple of years. I think the city leaders are doing things wrong in my opinion. Especially with the Events Center. That needs to be Downtown. But thats for a later thread!

Old 06-11-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Yeah I know it just seems odd to me, even though I know Sioux Falls only has about 250,000 people.
Actually Sioux Falls only has 150,000. If you include the metro area, its about 235,000.

In reality, the metro area includes the rural counties around SF with some small towns... most of them are growing by leaps and bounds, like Brandon, Tea, & Harrisburg.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsdflyer View Post
MJ, just a slight correction. There is actually a Taco Johns at 57th & Cliff now and a KFC is opening this fall at 57th and MacArthur (block west where the new Mixed Use Retail/Apts. are going, right in front of that). 57th & Cliff is really starting to spur now, there was going to be a Burger king in the empty lot next to Dacotah Bank in front of Sunshine but so much for that. I would love to see a Coffee Shop or sit down restaurant.

And Go Ne im not a city planner, however I will probably end up running for top office here in SF in a couple of years. I think the city leaders are doing things wrong in my opinion. Especially with the Events Center. That needs to be Downtown. But thats for a later thread!
Thanks Flyer for the correction... and thanks for spicing up the forum!
I'm sure the others (outside of SF) don't care, but I like these!

I haven't been down in the 57th & Cliff area in a while. I knew the southeast was developing and growing, but didn't realize what all has gone in.

One thing I found might interest you, as well as others. You need a PDF Viewer like Adobe to view it.
siouxfalls.org (File): Where Sioux Falls is Growing in 2009 (http://www.siouxfalls.org/Planning/documents/where_sf_growing - broken link)

Hopefully, they'll figure out something with Cliff from 49th to 57th.

Flyer, if you ran for public office, I'd vote for you.

Last edited by MJ1986; 06-11-2009 at 06:41 PM..

Old 06-11-2009, 11:56 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,925,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
Actually Sioux Falls only has 150,000. If you include the metro area, its about 235,000.

In reality, the metro area includes the rural counties around SF with some small towns... most of them are growing by leaps and bounds, like Brandon, Tea, & Harrisburg.
Very good point. Towns like Canton, Lennox, Dell Rapids, Worthing, and Hartford are growing but not near as fast as Tea, Brandon, and Harrisburg but are showing strong and steady growth. Many towns between 1,000 to 3,500 outside of the SF metro, SC Metro in SD, and Black Hills region are losing people, so it is good to see the neigboring towns holding their own and growing steadily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls