Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 11:49 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times

Advertisements

Without any exception. The Iowa great lakes area is the nicest beach,resort location in the area. The lakes are clean and deep and the whole area is set up for family fun. Do a google on this area and anyone would be impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 12:42 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
While we're on the subject~are there any nice, sandy beaches very close to Madison? We'll be heading that way in a few days and I thought we could spend a couple hours at the beach.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:49 PM

400 posts, read 1,237,994 times
Jammie -

I hear Lake Madison has a beautiful beach.... we're planning a father's day fishing trip, just me, hubby and our boy, thinking maybe checking out Lake Madison. Hope it's as beautiful as I've heard.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:26 PM

16 posts, read 103,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatman66 View Post
I'm also from Rochester NY and considering moving to Sioux Falls. Small world.
I think we might be going for the same reasons

Old 06-20-2009, 01:35 PM

Many Thanks for the suggestions, looks like we are going to have to do some exploring when we get out there. The Iowa Great Lakes look great but definitely a weekend trip I think. At least now when my son asks to go to the beach I can actually say yes

Old 06-22-2009, 07:21 PM

42 posts, read 135,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebrook View Post
I think we might be going for the same reasons
Excellent!

Old 06-22-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD snowbird View Post
Jammie -

I hear Lake Madison has a beautiful beach.... we're planning a father's day fishing trip, just me, hubby and our boy, thinking maybe checking out Lake Madison. Hope it's as beautiful as I've heard.
OK, what did you think of the beach? Was it cool? Crowded? Exactly where is it from Madison?

Old 06-22-2009, 09:24 PM

193 posts, read 786,133 times
In my opinion, Lake Poinsett has the best sand of any of the lakes in Southeast South Dakota, or was it just because I was on the north side of the lake?
Lake Madison is nice and is just south of Madison--not very far from Madison at all.
From Sioux Falls, my favorite lake to go to is Lake Brandt--by Chester. The name of the restaurant there is not coming to my mind at the moment, but they have a tasty burger and fries and seating outdoors for a good sunset viewing. The only restaurant on the lake.
Wall Lake and Lake Vermillion are okay--I would definitely stay away from Lake Alvin. The unfortunate thing about South Dakota lakes is how they turn so green. That's why I have always been so partial to the Missouri River area. You might also want to check out Chamberlain or Pickstown for some good summertime fun.
Hope you enjoy South Dakota!!!

Old 06-23-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanjosbrand View Post
In my opinion, Lake Poinsett has the best sand of any of the lakes in Southeast South Dakota, or was it just because I was on the north side of the lake?
Lake Madison is nice and is just south of Madison--not very far from Madison at all.
From Sioux Falls, my favorite lake to go to is Lake Brandt--by Chester. The name of the restaurant there is not coming to my mind at the moment, but they have a tasty burger and fries and seating outdoors for a good sunset viewing. The only restaurant on the lake.
Wall Lake and Lake Vermillion are okay--I would definitely stay away from Lake Alvin. The unfortunate thing about South Dakota lakes is how they turn so green. That's why I have always been so partial to the Missouri River area. You might also want to check out Chamberlain or Pickstown for some good summertime fun.
Hope you enjoy South Dakota!!!
Thanks for the great suggestions, looks like I will have a lot of exploring to do . Just out of curiosity, how long of a drive is it to the Missouri river area? I heard its beautiful down there.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:58 AM

You could go a couple of places to be at the River. You could go to Chamberlain or Yankton. Those two would probably be the closest.

Adding~definitely Yankton since you'll be living in Sx. Falls. I just checked on Mapquest and it's 80 miles away. Chamberlain would be 140 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls