Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 01:17 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,198,223 times

Advertisements

I have been noticing that Sioux Falls has been (percentage wise) the fastest growing city in all the plains and midwest states, and with the type of growth even surpasses most coastal and sw desert state cities...

I'm really compelled and excited for Sioux Falls and South Dakota as there is a big city rapidly taking shape, I just want to know some details from you that could describe the city and theoretically why it is growing so fast..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 03:04 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Can't give you exact details, but I can give you this.

Sioux Falls, much the same as Omaha is at a crossroads in the interstate system. So shipping in and out is easily done. Can get supply's and can ship product, every direction.

South Dakota taxes are cheap. Sure, people ***** about them every day. But they are talking about what taxes used to be and what they are now. But they're not looking at taxes compared to other areas of industry. SD is cheap so big industry is moving that way.

SD polititians are working hard and they're making deals with big industry. Giving them cheap water rights and such to allow them to get started because the revenue will be there later.

Sioux Falls is doing it right and bringing in industry, jobs, work, but not polutents and waste.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:24 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,711,936 times
I am sure Sioux Falls natives like Chris 19 will give you more details, but Sioux Falls has always enjoyed a low crime rate, great wages, and of course the lack of income tax that it shares with all of South Dakota. Sioux Falls also has outstanding medical care with Avera McKennan, and Sanford Health, and Sioux Falls is close to major cities like Omaha, Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Chicago.

Many businesses are moving into Sioux Falls as of lately. The population is predicted to double within a decade or so. I hope this is a good thing!

Old 01-16-2008, 11:54 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,922,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
I have been noticing that Sioux Falls has been (percentage wise) the fastest growing city in all the plains and midwest states, and with the type of growth even surpasses most coastal and sw desert state cities...

I'm really compelled and excited for Sioux Falls and South Dakota as there is a big city rapidly taking shape, I just want to know some details from you that could describe the city and theoretically why it is growing so fast..
Sioux Falls is a regional trade center and it has its older neigborhoods, 1970s and 1980s areas, and a lot of newer areas. There is an immigrant population that is growing and is composed of Etheopians, Bosnians, Sudanese, Mexicans, and other ethnic groups. These people along with people from other parts of the country and the Midwest are moving to the Sioux Falls area for more opportunity. I graduated from college almost three years ago and know quite a few people who I went to college with relocated from Vermillion to Sioux Falls. The job market is strong and it is a good place for a young person or young couple to start.

The city has a number of chain businesses such as Target, Best Buy, Chili's and the like, but it has a number of small businesses that add flavor to the business community.

Sioux Falls is a clean city and has a low crime rate compared to other cities its size on a national stage. Most of the crimes are petty.

Many of the neighboring communities such as Tea, Brandon, and Harrisburg are also growing at a good clip and communities that are 15-25 miles out such as Lennox, Dell Rapids, Canton, Parker, and Beresford are holding their own and even growing.

I will add more at a later time.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:25 AM

98 posts, read 510,920 times
The population is definitely NOT expected to double in a decade. We have about 150,000 people now. Sioux Falls is forecasting a population in the year 2037 of 281,024, so thats 30 years and 20,000 under doubling the population. We are growing fast, but not quite that fast...

Old 01-17-2008, 01:07 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
I guess there's not much more that I can add either. Sioux Falls has just always had a good assortment for employment and has a very low unemployment rate. They have the So. Dak. symphony along with sporting events and their parks are very nice. Their new Phillips to the Falls is a very nice walk where you can see all the neat artwork and cute little shops along the way. Falls Park is very nice. So, I guess it just comes down to the fact that the city is clean, has employment, and the housing is affordable compared to many areas of the country.

Ehenningsen, are you thinking about relocating there?

Old 01-17-2008, 03:48 PM

284 posts, read 1,657,002 times
I would estimate that most of Sioux Falls' growth is fueled by South Dakotans (and also those from nearby small towns in MN, IA and NE) moving to Sioux Falls for jobs and conveniences not found in those rural areas.

Small towns are dying because young people don't want to live there or want to, but can find good jobs - especially the college-educated.

Of course there are people moving in from other places, but most are "local" to the extent that SF has been their shopping/airport/entertainment hub for years.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbeet View Post
I would estimate that most of Sioux Falls' growth is fueled by South Dakotans (and also those from nearby small towns in MN, IA and NE) moving to Sioux Falls for jobs and conveniences not found in those rural areas.

Small towns are dying because young people don't want to live there or want to, but can find good jobs - especially the college-educated.

Of course there are people moving in from other places, but most are "local" to the extent that SF has been their shopping/airport/entertainment hub for years.
I would agree with you for the most part. The immigrant population is growing too. I have noticed a greater diversity of ethnic groups and people in Sioux Falls than back in that late 1980s and early 1990s. There is good and bad.

I think that Sioux Falls will attract people from other parts of the country more so when the city gets larger and when the Sanford facility and the research and technology segments grow (Sioux Falls would be favorable for this due to lower operating costs than the coasts, can-do attitude, and a good quality of life).

I would like to see Sioux Falls grow at the rate or in the numbers that it has been going for the past 10 years, a steady but strong 2% rate each year. I do not really want to see the city (it self) grow too much faster or it would face similar issues that Las Vegas faces (crime, overburdened infrastructure, etc.) So far, the city and the neighboring communities are keeping pace and making a reasonable effort to plan for the future.

The exception that I see is with the schools, which the funding here is not as good as Iowa and Minnesota and is more catch-up than other areas.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:44 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,198,223 times
Default also..

I have noticed that the state of South Dakota is not having an out-migration issue as the population growth for the state really is at the level of the national average the last couple years..

Old 01-20-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
I have noticed that the state of South Dakota is not having an out-migration issue as the population growth for the state really is at the level of the national average the last couple years..
I have also seen this also and think that this is good for the state. I would like the state continue with this trend and do better with keeping its young people in state with better paying jobs and research (which will likely bring industries that feed off of it and other supporting industries).

Sioux Falls is a good example, but I would like to see it get the higher paying finance jobs (beyond the $10-$11 an hour call center jobs) along with techonology, business management, and other professional jobs that will allow its youth and people a chance to have upward mobilty and still stay in South Dakota. Rapid City is a little behind in that regard, but it has potential for an even stronger economy.

Often overlooked in South Dakota is the Elk Point/Jefferson/North Sioux City/Dakota Dunes part of the Sioux City metro area. Although the economy is not as roubust as Sioux Falls', these areas are holding their own and growing also.

Sioux Falls area has promise in the future and the city and community leaders need to remain proactive, not complacent, to keep the city to be a vibrant place with opportunities for rich and poor, young and old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls