Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 07:51 PM

26 posts, read 60,942 times

Advertisements

After doing research, I'm checking out several cities for a future place to live... I made a post earlier today describing what I am looking for and want to live in a special place:
Quote:
I'm graduating college in a few years and would like to start getting ideas on where to visit in preparation for finding my dream city.

A few things that are important to me:
Low crime
Cheap to live in (can get a decent place in the 'burbs or rural area within commuting distance for $150-200k) OR with a walkable, reasonably priced downtown area
Mid sized (100-500,000k people)
Good food!
4 seasons, I don't mind a very cold winter, in fact I kind of prefer it. I'm not a big fan of the heat!
A good economy

Not necessary but preferred:
A population of German/Russian speaking people (I am from Germany, my hopefully soon to be wife, Russian)
Good sports scene... I love watching basketball, hockey, and soccer
Near a small body of water at least, a city with a lot of lakes or maybe near the great lakes

Recommendations on cities/states?
So... I ask you... Why is your area the place for me, if it is at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 08:11 PM

4,863 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEhockeysticks View Post
After doing research, I'm checking out several cities for a future place to live... I made a post earlier today describing what I am looking for and want to live in a special place:

So... I ask you... Why is your area the place for me, if it is at all?
You're not going to find anyone around here speaking German or Russian fluently except for a few immigrants from the former Soviet Union states that have moved to Sioux Falls of recent and primarily work at the packing house. You will find some German speaking people on the colonies.

That said, this area was heavily populated by German people 3 generations ago. An extremely large percentage of the populace in South Dakota is of German lineage (me too since one of my grandfathers was 100% German).

Everything else mentioned on your list of "desires" matches well with this area. You'll have a hard time finding anything closer to your wish list than SE South Dakota.

Last edited by jmgg; 03-30-2010 at 09:05 PM..

Old 03-30-2010, 08:17 PM

What are the general people like? Is there a case of the usual upper midwest "nice"? Will a hard working southerner garner any respect by the locals? What's the cuisine like?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:03 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,950 times
You'll find low crime and four seasons in Sioux Falls. You can find a very nice home in the 150-200K range...easily. Sioux Falls has a lot of chains, but plenty of hometown restaurants. There's plenty of bike trails, sidewalks, and bike lanes along select streets. You'll find the typical "midwestern friendliness". You'll fit in just fine!

Old 03-30-2010, 09:05 PM

193 posts, read 677,783 times
The food choices in Sioux Falls, I feel, are divine! There is such a variety of foods, popular and cultural. Sioux Falls Convention & Visitors Bureau

The Multi-Cultural Center in Sioux Falls is a great resource regarding info on different cultures living in the Sioux Falls area.
Multi-Cultural Center of Sioux Falls

People here for the most part are friendly. I think most people are open to meeting others that move in from out of state, respect is gained by being a friendly neighbor yourself, for the most part. There aren't a ton of lakes right close by, but they aren't all far away either. This seems to be a very big camping and state park kind of state, most people I know head to the lake almost every weekend.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:05 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,497,140 times
Quote:
What are the general people like? Is there a case of the usual upper midwest "nice"? Will a hard working southerner garner any respect by the locals? What's the cuisine like?
Respect is a 2 way street, no matter WHERE one chooses to live.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
You can come up here an ya'll us to death and we won't put you down. Maybe some occasional good natured ribbing might happen though.

Cuisine wise, no grits up here. Our corn is eaten on the cob or scraped off the cob and warmed up. The rest ends up in the local elevators for shipment.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:39 PM

I don't even think I have an accent, "y'all" isn't in my vocabulary, but a lot of people hear of a kid from the south, Kentucky especially, and automatically think we're all barefoot hillbillies :S

At least that was my experience in the northeast!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:01 PM

56 posts, read 210,725 times
There are 2 small public use lakes in Sioux Falls as well as a small river and creek. There are a lot of lakes within short driving distance.

Sioux Falls almost seems like the restaurant capitol of the nation. There are so many different places to eat. Both chain and local. There's a decent amount of ethnic offerings. You should be able to find plenty of places that you would enjoy dining at.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I don't even think I have an accent, "y'all" isn't in my vocabulary, but a lot of people hear of a kid from the south, Kentucky especially, and automatically think we're all barefoot hillbillies :S

At least that was my experience in the northeast!
There are no similarities between SD and the northeast. A large % from the NE don't know that SD and ND are separate states and the next state west of Chicago has Denver in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls