Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:51 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,003,685 times

Advertisements

I have been enjoying the WC,and while not looking past it as far as enjoying the games, I am wondering about what happens around the world after the WC is over.I know there is MLS,the EPL, something on my Direct TV called UEFA.What goes on here?Are some leagues the big leagues while others are minor league?Do the different leagues interconnect/interplay in any way?What are the championships outside the WC?Do some nations without major leagues simply start trying to put together new teams for the next round of WC qualifying in 2 years or so?

In short,what is the scoop for following soccer/football after the WC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 09:56 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,822 times
It's probably a lot easier to follow your home team (Dallas? Houston?) than to follow a european team but if you want to follow team USA there's a friendly against Brazil on August 10th at Giants Stadium. If you want to catch an international friendly Dallas is playing Inter Milan on August 5th. Houston has a games coming up against Pachuca and Puebla (which should be fun to watch as there will probably be a lot of Mexican fans in attendance).

Each continent has their own FIFA affiliated regulatory body. For North American it's CONCACAF.
The Gold Cup is the CONCACAF tournament. It's next year with the winner headed to Brazil for the Confederations cup in 2013 - which is a tournament of the best teams from each continent. UEFA is the European equivalent. CONMEBOL is the South American version. Their "Copa America" should be coming up soon.

The CONCACAF Champions League starts with the group stage in a few weeks but the finals aren't until the spring. The US teams in it this time around are Salt Lake, Columbus, LA and Seattle.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:41 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
I have been enjoying the WC,and while not looking past it as far as enjoying the games, I am wondering about what happens around the world after the WC is over.I know there is MLS,the EPL, something on my Direct TV called UEFA.What goes on here?Are some leagues the big leagues while others are minor league?Do the different leagues interconnect/interplay in any way?What are the championships outside the WC?Do some nations without major leagues simply start trying to put together new teams for the next round of WC qualifying in 2 years or so?

In short,what is the scoop for following soccer/football after the WC?

First, I would choose a team to follow or even teams.

I will continue to follow my Kansas City Wizards while following the summer transfer window where international club teams get to exchange players.

In mid-July teams in England, Spain, Italy, and other European countries start their preseason.

In August, the EPL, La Liga, and Serie A get underway and also UEFA Champions League.

The UEFA Champions League is a tournament that takes place from August to May each season in which the top club teams all over Europe compete for the top prize in World Club Soccer. Depending on the league, a certain number of teams qualify for the tournament. For example, the top 4 teams in the English Premier League qualify.

If you ever have any questions, please feel free to PM me. I would love to help you get more into the sport.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:14 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,713 times
August 27, UEFA Super Cup. August 28, La Liga (Spain main league) season starts. Copa Libertadores, CONMEBOL's premier international club tournament resumes on July 27.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:47 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Man U is playing an exhibition vs the MLS all stars in Houston.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:57 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
First, I would choose a team to follow or even teams.

I will continue to follow my Kansas City Wizards while following the summer transfer window where international club teams get to exchange players.

In mid-July teams in England, Spain, Italy, and other European countries start their preseason.

In August, the EPL, La Liga, and Serie A get underway and also UEFA Champions League.

The UEFA Champions League is a tournament that takes place from August to May each season in which the top club teams all over Europe compete for the top prize in World Club Soccer. Depending on the league, a certain number of teams qualify for the tournament. For example, the top 4 teams in the English Premier League qualify.

If you ever have any questions, please feel free to PM me. I would love to help you get more into the sport.
Top 3 from the EPL qualify for the Champions League. The fourth place team has to play a qualifying round prior to getting in.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:32 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
what's the date on this? I can't make it to Houston - do you know if it will be televised?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:29 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
what's the date on this? I can't make it to Houston - do you know if it will be televised?
I believe it is July 28th and it will be on ESPN2

Old 06-30-2010, 03:03 PM

47 posts, read 152,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Internazionale Milano will play against LA Galaxy at home depot center, august 7 2010, 7:30 PM

Old 06-30-2010, 05:37 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,514,048 times
As others have said, following a local team, if you can, is a good start. Dallas has FC Dallas and Houston has the Houston Dynamo, both in the MLS. Austin has the Austin Aztex, which plays in a league one level down. MLS runs from late spring to fall, to avoid overlapping with the NFL, NBA and NHL. For more international soccer, most of the famous European leagues start up in August or September. I think the EPL is the easiest to watch on American television, but with the internet, it probably isn't hard to get into any of the major European leagues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer