Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 08:45 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times

Advertisements

sorry if I sound like a noob.

So everyone knows about Barca's famous tiki taka and how it has come to define Espana. I also came across the 2012 Copa Lib final between Corinthians and Boca Juniors and saw the flamboyant almost acrobatic stylings of CBF totally emphasized in Corinthians' play.

My question simply is this....in this age of foriegners aplenty in top leagues, do you all think that there is any correspondence between a general style of league play and the corresponding country's national team?

I ask because I often hear Premiership fans wondering if their Latin pickups can acclimate themselves to the "physicality" of the league relative to probably La Liga or Serie A. But when I watch top Prem teams they seem over all more "balanced" for lack of a better word compared to the English side I remember in South Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 10:41 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,251 times
In pretty much every major league the game's become increasingly technical and possession focused, so that's done a bit to lessen the variation in style.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:12 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,064 times
The football in the Serie A used to be the same that the Squadra Azzura played: very tactical, defensive, calculated. But lately I find the national team of Italy to play more attractive footbal than before.

The Dutch Eredivisie is still considered very open, with teams always aiming to score as many goals as possible. Oranje, the national team, used to play like that, but since South Africa 2010 they've become a more organized, tactical side.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:35 PM

148 posts, read 188,204 times
thats a common misconception of Brazilian football, that they play that "joga bonito" style when in reality they are a very defensive minded team usually employing two holding midfielders and many of the coaches in the brasilerao are also very defensive minded

sure they have the occasional flair player like a Ronaldinho or Neymar, but the majority of brazilians are not like that

Old 01-28-2013, 05:40 PM

148 posts, read 188,204 times
as for the point about the Premier League teams being more balanced than the English national team, thats because the teams a the top of the table are mostly based on foreign talent

the teams toward the middle and bottom of the table are mostly made up of brits and play some awful football like a Stoke City or Norwich

although to be fair some of the teams lower in the league are starting to bring in more non brits as well

Old 01-28-2013, 10:30 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times
how do you mean awful?

Old 01-29-2013, 03:49 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
how do you mean awful?
Dont worry 'most' people in South America are under the impression that the English are nothing short of 'awful' when it comes to football, its a 'stereotype' that seems to have become entrenched over there, they genuinly believe that the English are inferior players that are only capable of running and playing long ball, like most 'stereotypical' views it will be hard to change.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:19 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Englands 2nd division is filled with more talent than every South American league except from Brazil and Argentinas top clubs.

Are you telling me Rooney, Wilshire, Ashley Cole, Joe Hart etc aren't world class players? And a few years ago Gerrard, Lampard, Rio Ferdinand and Terry were up there with the best in their positions.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:07 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trequartista View Post
thats a common misconception of Brazilian football, that they play that "joga bonito" style when in reality they are a very defensive minded team usually employing two holding midfielders and many of the coaches in the brasilerao are also very defensive minded

sure they have the occasional flair player like a Ronaldinho or Neymar, but the majority of brazilians are not like that
Yes, that's actually true. People watching the Brazilians play on World Cups always expect to see the most phenomenal things, the most dazzlingly brilliant football, while most of the time I've been rather disappointed after watching their games. Give me Spain over Brazil any day of the week.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:06 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,546,099 times
Ireland: **** league. **** national team
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer