Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 05:58 AM

553 posts, read 617,010 times

Advertisements

(In order)
USA, Portugal (their 2006 team made me a fan of the game), then any other CONCACAF team that happens to be playing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 06:38 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
As an American I support both my native and ancestral countries. Always have. I am always glad when the US is in the WC pot but not as lucky as others who have exceptional ancestral country teams where they can see them on the world's stage.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:08 AM

668 posts, read 994,636 times
I'll pull for the USA first, but after that is Germany since that is where my wife's family is from (or Ireland when they're in it since that's where my family is from). We're actually heading over there next week and I hope to take the kids to a couple of viewing areas so they can witness how geared up people get for the matches. Outside of that, when a match is starting I've been giving my 8 year old daughter some background info on the two teams, and she then picks who we are going to root for. So far she seems to have a soft spot for the CAF and their animal nicknames.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:10 AM

358 posts, read 451,210 times
USA of course. I like that they are underdogs.

Otherwise, I tend to root for the other CONCACAF teams.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:30 AM

34 posts, read 81,484 times
I am routing for Brazil all the way!! Rio is hands down my favorite place in the world love that country!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-20-2014, 08:54 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportf190 View Post
I am routing for Brazil all the way!! Rio is hands down my favorite place in the world love that country!!!!!!!!!!!
oh, oh accordind to Moriati you going to hell
but it appears that a "special" place will be reserved for you
'Murica!! hoo-YAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarti View Post
There is a special place in hell for Americans that root for other countries in the World Cup instead of their own.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:06 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
Quote:
There is a special place in hell for Americans that root for other countries in the World Cup instead of their own.
That pretty much sums up why I DON'T root for the US.
Quote:
You're an American and you won't root for your own country because you want to root for a country where some distant relative from the 18th century came from?
Well, Scotland is not in the cup so I couldn't be rooting for them even if I wanted to, could I? The point of the thread was that I can't decide WHO to root for. My lineage is all in the US for as far as I can trace on either side. I'm not an 'American' in the sense that I think it's superior to other places, but I don't necessarily think it's inferior either. In any case, I don't want to root for them because… well why don't we just keep letting your own responses answer that.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:23 AM

800 posts, read 1,297,603 times
i'm first generation american from an italian father and brasilian mother. i spend alot of time in brasil and root for them.

ill root for the US in their matches but if it came down to brasil v USA final, i'll root for brasil

Old 06-20-2014, 01:11 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
#1 USA, #2 Brasil for my wife and in-laws, #3 didn't make the cup this year (my heritage), #4...probably the underdog, whomever that is...like Costa Rica this morning.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:54 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,497 times
I'm going for USA, then Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
That pretty much sums up why I DON'T root for the US.
That's just ridiculous. Do you think there aren't thousands upon thousands of English who would say the same thing about other English who don't root for England? Do you think someone who's Irish wouldn't get **** if they told people, "I'm Irish but I specifically don't want to root for Ireland, so who else should I root for?" Didn't you notice the Scottish person holding up the Scottish flag, rooting for England to lose in their match again Italy? That's not because they loved Italy, it's because they're Scottish, and therefore wanted to see England lose. That's national pride, buddy. If a Brazilian right now was jumping up and down in hopes that another team wins, you don't think he/she wouldn't get **** from other Brazilians?

Something that I think is exceptionally lame, is this feeling (not by all, but by many) that Americans should somehow be unenthusiastic about being American or rooting for America, etc. It seems so popular to apologize for America, or think they somehow elevate themselves by trying to separate from other Americans. Usually when I hear someone doing that, they're in their teens or twenties, and haven't traveled Internationally much, if at all. When you travel, you realize that while people may be critical about aspects of their country, they usually still have lots of national pride. Saying, "I'm American so I want the US to win" is not somehow boorish or unenlightened.

There's a HUGE difference between being a loud 'I'M FUR 'MERICA!' person and being someone who roots for their own freakin' country at an International event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer