Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 05:37 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Ok go home trolls, there's football chat to be had.
Then people should make threads discussing soccer, and not trying to say soccer is going to be the next big thing in the US. Just because I'm not in agreement with radiolibre doesn't make me a troll. I respnded to the other threads about soccer talk without saying anything bad, check my posts in them. If to post on this forum or thread you have to agree with the OP why even start a discussion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 05:47 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Because all pro soccer fans are saying is they the sport is growing. But you anti soccer trolls won't even give us that. You think we mean that soccer will replace football as the number one sport. Its obvious that from a decade ago the sport has grown rapidly and this cup will only help it. That's all that's ever meant so get over it.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:14 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Because all pro soccer fans are saying is they the sport is growing. But you anti soccer trolls won't even give us that. You think we mean that soccer will replace football as the number one sport. Its obvious that from a decade ago the sport has grown rapidly and this cup will only help it. That's all that's ever meant so get over it.

Then you must be stupid, because I've said in every post that no doubt soccer is growing... it's just still not popular. Just because something is growing doesn't make it popular.

Soccer has always been fairly big for kids though, who didn't play in a soccer league when they were in grade school?

Either way MLS will not grow too much, I think you'll just see less people who are against it during World Cup.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:12 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
LOL at people putting europe as an example of a love of soccer
EVERYONE knows that nobody loves soccer more than southamericans, you cant even compare it to europe.
Argentina/Brasil probably the 2 nations that live and breathe soccer, followed by other southamerican nations. An european would never understand how crazy things are here.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:01 PM

248 posts, read 310,532 times
Quote:
That's most soccer fans around the world without a good league. In Nigeria my friend tells me its the same story. People would rather follow the EPL than home teams.

I want to support MLS but they need to unleash its potential instead of trying to make it like the rest of American sports.
BINGO

This is how I feel and I hear this all the time from soccer fans in this country. But when we say it we're called "euro snobs".

Old 06-28-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarti View Post
BINGO

This is how I feel and I hear this all the time from soccer fans in this country. But when we say it we're called "euro snobs".
They say we are "euro snobs" because they don't get that soccer is not a perfect efficient business machine abroad like American pro-sports are. You can't sanitize the games and make then fit a mold that benefits corporate sponsors to a tee.

Abroad companies want in on the action soccer provides. Getting a massive return on your investment is secondary to having your name on a prestigious teams jersey. In the States, the model is chase the ad revenue and make the sponsors happy as much as possible. Getting a dramatic passionate entertaining spectacle for the fans is just a by product.

I love EPL, La Liga, and the South American classics like Boca vs River Plate because they're raw. There's always this corporate feel in American sports.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:33 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
The 1994 World Cup didn't make soccer the next big thing in America.

Neither did WC's 1998, 2002, 2006, or 2010.

Heck, even when the U.S. got 3rd place in the 1930 World Cup it didn't become big.

Being a realist does not mean that someone is a "troll" or "anti-soccer".

The fact is that when the U.S. team gets eliminated(either by Belgium, or in the quarterfinals by Argentina), all the bandwagon people will go away and the only people who will care about soccer will be the die hard MLS fans and the people who get up early to watch games on TV that are being played in Europe.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
LOL at people putting europe as an example of a love of soccer
EVERYONE knows that nobody loves soccer more than southamericans, you cant even compare it to europe.
Argentina/Brasil probably the 2 nations that live and breathe soccer, followed by other southamerican nations. An european would never understand how crazy things are here.
Harrier predicts Brazil and Argentina to meet in the final - and once the U.S. and Mexico are eliminated, Harrier will be all for Argentina.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The 1994 World Cup didn't make soccer the next big thing in America.

Neither did WC's 1998, 2002, 2006, or 2010.

Heck, even when the U.S. got 3rd place in the 1930 World Cup it didn't become big.

Being a realist does not mean that someone is a "troll" or "anti-soccer".

The fact is that when the U.S. team gets eliminated(either by Belgium, or in the quarterfinals by Argentina), all the bandwagon people will go away and the only people who will care about soccer will be the die hard MLS fans and the people who get up early to watch games on TV that are being played in Europe.
Those other eras didn't have the MLS or the rather large interest in the EPL. And there's a difference here. All we are saying is that the sport is growing and has found a considerable base comparable to probably hockey in the States but the latter is considered much more a staple of American sports culture even the reality on the ground is that many home grown Americans have take to the former. Just by us saying that it's grown and getting popular, some anti soccer nuts go mental and start acting as though its a liberal plot to wussify American culture. They conjure up as many stats and figures as they can to disprove the growing number of fans the sport has created. Its pathetic.

Another thing is calling it mere bandwagon-ism. I can agree that some of it probably is but at the same time the growth of the sport has also created a lot of interest. Americans didn't just suddenly wake up one summer and decide to support the US team. Why not the other times it qualified in the cup? 24 million people just all jumped on a bandwagon for the heck of it?

The numbers will wane I know once the Cup is over and MLS sucks compared to EPL, all American soccer fans think so, but there will be a restructuring of the league and the sport will continue to grow. There's nothing really more that needs to be said.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Those other eras didn't have the MLS or the rather large interest in the EPL.
Huh?

The MLS began in 1993, and Harrier cited every World Cup from 1994 to the present day.

As for EPL, the interest is largely because Tim Howard, Brad Friedel, Jozy Altidore, and until quite recently, Clint Dempsey all play(ed) in that league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer