Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 11:21 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
At the top yes, at the bottom where promotion/relegation matters it didn't change that much.
How exactly does promotion and relegation make the big European soccer leagues the best in the world?

The MLS is not going to adopt a European soccer schedule where the league starts in mid to late August and ends in mid to late May. Playing soccer games outdoors in places like Minneapolis, Chicago, New York and Foxborough will be brutal in December, January, February and March. The MLS has a nice setup with its current schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 11:30 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
How exactly does promotion and relegation make the big European soccer leagues the best in the world?

The MLS is not going to adopt a European soccer schedule where the league starts in mid to late August and ends in mid to late May. Playing soccer games outdoors in places like Minneapolis, Chicago, New York and Foxborough will be brutal in December, January, February and March. The MLS has a nice setup with its current schedule.
Competition.

They can still start in March and end in October.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:31 AM

8,669 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:

I agree the MLS will not adopt this schedule - but not so much because of weather. Indoor stadiums can change that - we’ve seen that happen over the years with football. It’s more because it is when football, basketball (and even hockey) are played in the US, and soccer just can’t compete with football in this country. Even at a time when most other sports are on break (except baseball), MLS has struggled getting fans near the pitch.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Competition.

They can still start in March and end in October.
Yep

Old 01-28-2019, 11:45 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I agree the MLS will not adopt this schedule - but not so much because of weather. Indoor stadiums can change that - we’ve seen that happen over the years with football. It’s more because it is when football, basketball (and even hockey) are played in the US, and soccer just can’t compete with football in this country. Even at a time when most other sports are on break (except baseball), MLS has struggled getting fans near the pitch.
A problem is that all of these new soccer specific stadiums have not been built with full roofs. Start building them with full roofs, or retractable roofs and construction costs will surge. It would be a lot to ask a team in Minneapolis to have 6-8 home games in an outdoor stadium in the dead of winter and expect fans to show up. MLS was smart and did their own thing when it came to scheduling. Like you said, Fall and winter are prime time for the NFL, NHL and NBA. Plus college football and college basketball too. I am sure the networks that broadcast their games also want them on their current schedule.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Like you said, Fall and winter are prime time for the NFL, NHL and NBA. Plus college football and college basketball too. I am sure the networks that broadcast their games also want them on their current schedule.
Yeah, exactly. It’s why it will never happen - but a consequence is US players being at a disadvantage during World Cup (and trials), when games are crunched in between regular season games/travel.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:22 PM

15,847 posts, read 6,547,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Yeah, exactly. It’s why it will never happen - but a consequence is US players being at a disadvantage during World Cup (and trials), when games are crunched in between regular season games/travel.

They do have the significant advantage of being in peak regular season condition during the World Cup though. If the US talent level can improve, I think it'll be a wash.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
They do have the significant advantage of being in peak regular season condition during the World Cup though. If the US talent level can improve, I think it'll be a wash.
Even if they improve (and sadly a big if), tired legs and fatigue plays a major role in the world of soccer which is why the World Cup schedule favors the world majority in the first place.

Also - if it’s a World Cup year, you can bet players will be in top conditioning regardless (they wouldn’t stop because it’s off-season) - better shape than US because fatigue and injury are not factors.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:51 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
MLS hasnt helped the standard of football improve a whole lot. Lets face it, after 26 years we should be seeing the fruits of MLS but were not really. The brunt of US talent is born or playing their youth football abroad.

My main thinking behind this is,
1) Watering down the talent. Why do we need to add more and more teams to a weak pool of players as it is, weve basically tapped the poor to good pool of America now MLS teams scour the dredges of the rest of the world to fill the void. This isnt helping in the slightest.
2) If I own an MLS team I am going to do next to little to develop players because their is no financial reward for doing so. If I get a player good enough he will be bought by a team for next to nothing and then MLS is going to come in and take a chunk of that investment I just made.
3) I think relegation absolutely helps make it a bigger league. Right now if youre crap, we give the fat kid a chance to still make the playoffs and when they come bottom they get a good choice from a draft as a reward.
4) Relying on college kids in a draft is too late. College level football is very poor and getting a 22 year old in the draft ... you are not going to get a Messi out of that.
5) The playoffs them self are long and boring and dont bring much interest from the rest of the world because of it.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:56 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,698,258 times
Quote:
Add Promotion/Regulation and get rid of the playoffs if the MLS ever wants to be a Top 10 league in the world.
That has been my beef in this country for ever. And that really applies to all Pro Sports Legues in the USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer