Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 10:44 PM

106 posts, read 431,353 times

Advertisements

Just curious is anyone uses solar panels to generate electricity for their home?
And if so, could you tell me who you used to install?
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,148 times
Question solar energy in SC

Is anyone using solar energy successfully in SC?

Old 07-13-2007, 09:36 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,295,785 times
The problem is that SC doesn't offer the great rebates that NC offers for solar power. Hopefully one day soon they'll begin incentivizing those of us who want to use solar power (we plan on building solar when we are ready to begin building our dream house).

I suggest using this link:
S.C. Energy Office

to find out more information about solar use in SC and possibly get referrals for installations on your home.

Good luck! Solar and green building are awesome and I can't wait to build my house as green as possible!

Old 07-13-2007, 12:36 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,234 times
Solar can be expensive depending on the system you get and you may not make back your solar investment over the life of home ownership. When combined with other energy conserving technologies (appropriate passive solar architecture, wind, Energy Star certified products, rain water recovery, reinsulating, inert gas windows, compact flourescent and LED lighting, UV-blocking window films, microhydro, etc.), however, solar can help you reduce your energy requirements tremendously; particularly when it comes to solar hot water systems which are significantly cheaper than photovoltaic systems.

There is good news. A recent technological breakthrough in photovoltaic technology promises to cut panel costs significantly and as more people go solar, economies of scale will begin to help reduce costs as well.

Some useful links:

South Carolina Solar Council
SC Solar - A Solar provider in South Carolina
Home Power magazine
Affordable Solar
American Solar Energy Society
Google Directory of Sustainable Architecture

Old 07-13-2007, 12:39 PM

Jason_Els - thanks for the link to that awesome article! That is GREAT news (we were not going to use photovoltaics because of the cost to install). Now I have hope that we jsut might be able to use them by the time we go to build (which will be in about 10 years).

*goes to find great solar-focused mutual funds to invest in*

Old 07-13-2007, 01:23 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Jason_Els - thanks for the link to that awesome article! That is GREAT news (we were not going to use photovoltaics because of the cost to install). Now I have hope that we jsut might be able to use them by the time we go to build (which will be in about 10 years).

*goes to find great solar-focused mutual funds to invest in*
You're welcome!

Have you seen the solar shingling? Naturally the best option is still to have a sun-tracking array of panels, but these could really help integrate existing homes and provide a great way of getting something for your cost while being aesthetically pleasing.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Shingles

Yes, I have seen the shingling and think they are a GREAT option for those that have a southern exposure on the FRONT of their house and don't want the big panels facing the street.

The land we currently own and plan to build on will have the southern exposure on the BACK of the house, so we were okay with putting up panels - IF the price was right. According to your article, by the time we go to build the price most definitely will be right!! =)

Have you read "The Solar House" by Daniel Chiras? My copy is well-worn and highlighted for when we go to build. That was an AWESOME resource for me when I was trying to learn all I could about building solar/green.

I'm also very excited to read that York County just recently approved the use of netmetering for a resident here. That was one thing I was sad that this part SC didn't do (shoutout to Duke Energy! ). But apparently York Coop is willing to give it a shot and approved one homeowner to be the guinea pig. THAT is awesome since our land is in the York Coop area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
View detailed profiles of: