Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2007, 11:26 AM

4 posts, read 8,926 times

Advertisements

After much consideration the husband and I have decided on coastal SC. We are both born and bred in the DC metro area and are ready for a change. We initially thought Florida may be a good fit with the crystal clear blue water but after some research feel that it won't offer us the "suburban" atmospehere we desire.

A little background on us before I start playing 20 questions. The husband is a Naval District Washington (federal) firefighter and I am a Management Analyst for a Navy contractor. We have two sons, 5 and 3 and three furry kids (a dog and 2 cats). We both LOVE the water as well as the occasional night out on the town.

We're most interested in Charleston, Goose Creek and Beaufort and surronding areas due to the military installations and the ability for my husband to transfer within the federal system. I guess what I'm looking for is opinions regarding every aspect of life in said areas. How are the schools? Job market? Is traffic a problem? Crime? What does each area offer in terms of recreation, malls, historic districts, etc?

Any and all opinions are welcome and thanks for any input you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 06:58 AM

57 posts, read 196,872 times
Have you looked into Bluffton? It is right outside Hilton Head. My wife was raised there and her family still lives there. WE LOVE IT!!!!!!! There are some great neighborhoods, still small town atmoshpere. You should take a long weekend and go visit.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:22 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleychapel24 View Post
Have you looked into Bluffton? It is right outside Hilton Head. My wife was raised there and her family still lives there. WE LOVE IT!!!!!!! There are some great neighborhoods, still small town atmoshpere. You should take a long weekend and go visit.
Bluffton is beautiful We are looking there for eventual retirement and may buy soon to lock in the decent pricing
It's a short commute to Beaufort or Savannah which also has military bases.

You should go down and do a long weekend as the other poster suggested.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will look into Bluffton for sure. My family is from south GA so Savannah is a HUGE draw for me. I'm also considering a career change as I'm getting burned out sitting behind a desk day in and day out. I know that Savannah has a historic district are there any nice ones is lower SC? We'd love to renovate an early 1900's house.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:01 AM

I'm loving the price of housing in Bluffton and Beaufort! The prices up north are totally outrageous! Does Bluffton have a historic district? What about shopping? One of my biggest gripes up here is lack of quality grocery stores close to home. We have several within a five mile radius to our house but they are terrible. The quality of their produce and meat is severly lacking.

How is the quality of the land? I have a passion for gardening. The ground here is nothing but hard clay. In order to have a flower bed or veggie garden we've had to till up the ground and bring in truck loads of soil which is rather pricey.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:36 PM

7 posts, read 26,197 times
Default Groceries and soil, etc.

I am a Northern VA resident who is also tired of the disgusting housing prices who is looking to relocate...possibly to Beaufort (a few miles to Bluffton). My parents are retiring to the Beufort area and allready own a lovely home down there that would have sold for over twice as much in the DC area. I don't know Bluffton specifically, but I think it's like Beaufort (downtown at least) that has more of a small town feel. There are some very nice grocery stores right of the main drag (278) near Bluffton. They are akin to a gourmet Giant or Safeway up here. The prices are similar for most things (except seafood is cheaper down south). The soil (I used to do landscaping) is pretty sandy and dry most of the year, but I have seen some fantastic gardens. I'm assuming that some type of irrigation would be necessary for many plant species, but many types of plants that grow natively down there are beautiful and don't require a lot of work. Sorry I don't have specifics. I am actually going down there in Sept. to vacation and look around at properties. One thing I have found in my searching is that jobs seem to be much more limited. Most are in Savannah, which has a pretty high crime rate these days, and the salaries are quite a bit smaller than up here. The job issue (for me) is the biggest issue, but I am not as skilled as you and your husband. I have a bachelors and do medical administration/customer service and jobs are scarce in the Bluffton area. I wish you the best of luck in your search...the sooner we can get out of the DC metro area the better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina