Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:53 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,373,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artriotnow View Post
...racism is everywhere. Greenville's problem is that some of the racism has been layered over to the point where it has become tradition rather than racism with malice tied behind it.
If you are going to call people racist, then you should provide specific examples of racism in action, as requested. This is not the time and place for ambiguity.

Quote:
I think you cure it by talking about it like we are doing now. Have the city hold some forums on race , multiculturalism, black business ownership.
Where were you last weekend?

Quote:
Have some job training programs around town.
They already exist. (more: 1|2|3) I have seen and heard about numerous free training/recruitment events in the area throughout the last year.

Quote:
First and foremost someone needs to do something about public transportation in Greenville, County. It should extend much further and for longer hours. Start a ride share program as well.
That is not as easy as it sounds. With the sprawling nature of development (random population densities) in the Upstate, it would be virtually impossible to assist all of the people who say they want to ride publicly funded transportation. Even a regional transit system would be difficult, unless users would be able to access a ride out to a remote business away from the cities' urban centers. I would consider riding if I knew a bus would pass near my employer's offices. It would not make sense to add a new route (at taxpayers' expense) just for me to occasionally ride it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:07 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,373,752 times
Quote:
Bottom line, Greenville could definitely due (do?) for some black empowerment hear (here?), job creation, business ownership, home ownership, etc.
Who is holding black people in the community back?

Quote:
In general the whole town needs better jobs , but that's an issue indicative of every state at this point.
What does that mean? I see plenty of people living comfortably here with the jobs they have. What are "better jobs" than the current jobs (which are essential in every city), in your opinion?

Old 02-24-2011, 06:06 PM

60 posts, read 127,619 times
Thank you all very much for your input - this does give me a better idea of what to expect in SC as well as new perspective on how to view other cities and what to look for.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:20 AM

13 posts, read 19,612 times
South Carolina is no different from anywhere else. No matter where you go, you will have people who get alone with everyone and you will have those who don't. I have lived here all my life and seen the worst of people and the best of people. I have visited northeast Ohio and can tell you that it was no different than South Carolina. You have people who are openly racist, black and white. Then you have people who are racist but tolerate each other. Then you have people who love everyone. I do not believe the majority of South Carolinians are racist. Can you successfully live here, run a business and raise a family without racism effecting you? Most definitely! There are many successful businesses owned by blacks and Hispanics. I believe there is equal opportunity for anyone to succeed here.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:34 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchmo View Post
South Carolina is no different from anywhere else. No matter where you go, you will have people who get alone with everyone and you will have those who don't. I have lived here all my life and seen the worst of people and the best of people. I have visited northeast Ohio and can tell you that it was no different than South Carolina. You have people who are openly racist, black and white. Then you have people who are racist but tolerate each other. Then you have people who love everyone. I do not believe the majority of South Carolinians are racist. Can you successfully live here, run a business and raise a family without racism effecting you? Most definitely! There are many successful businesses owned by blacks and Hispanics. I believe there is equal opportunity for anyone to succeed here.
I am not sure what magic kingdom you are referring to in South Carolina where *there are many successful business's owned by blacks and Hispanics*!

But when you use the word many to describe it there is something that I must clarify. Yes Hispanics have their fair share of business's....most of the time it's a Mexican restaurant and sometimes you will come across the occasional Cuban with a restaurant......they are successful not because SC is supposedly like other states.....they are successful because many southerners have over the past 20 years embraced their food just like Chinese food. People will have racist views all day everyday....go home and talk about Hispanics and the Chinese....and turn around the next day and patronize their restaurants....does not mean that all of a sudden SC is this wonderful racially tolerant place because it is not.

Now regarding blacks having many successful business's this is just flat out not the case in SC. The only type of business that I have ever seen after living in 2 different areas of SC are barber shops and hair salons. Why do I say only barber shops and hair salons? Because those types of business's cater and offer services to other black people. Now I have come across an occasional soul food take out place owned by blacks but they are few and far between....and the ones that do exist are not hugely successful.

But to use the word many to describe black people owning business's in SC is so far from reality!

Old 04-30-2013, 08:56 PM

10 posts, read 24,040 times
Default Smh

This thread is sad and disheartening...

Old 05-01-2013, 05:09 AM

12,889 posts, read 18,741,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
I am not sure what magic kingdom you are referring to in South Carolina where *there are many successful business's owned by blacks and Hispanics*!

But when you use the word many to describe it there is something that I must clarify. Yes Hispanics have their fair share of business's....most of the time it's a Mexican restaurant and sometimes you will come across the occasional Cuban with a restaurant......they are successful not because SC is supposedly like other states.....they are successful because many southerners have over the past 20 years embraced their food just like Chinese food. People will have racist views all day everyday....go home and talk about Hispanics and the Chinese....and turn around the next day and patronize their restaurants....does not mean that all of a sudden SC is this wonderful racially tolerant place because it is not.

Now regarding blacks having many successful business's this is just flat out not the case in SC. The only type of business that I have ever seen after living in 2 different areas of SC are barber shops and hair salons. Why do I say only barber shops and hair salons? Because those types of business's cater and offer services to other black people. Now I have come across an occasional soul food take out place owned by blacks but they are few and far between....and the ones that do exist are not hugely successful.

But to use the word many to describe black people owning business's in SC is so far from reality!
I know your post is two months old, but you obviously haven't spent much time in Columbia. And you have me on ignore anyway, so whatever.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:06 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,036 times
Two months.. try over two years.

Weak sauce troll attempt IMO.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:23 AM

12,889 posts, read 18,741,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Two months.. try over two years.

Weak sauce troll attempt IMO.
IYO is right. The comment from yesterday threw men. Sorry. However, there's a current thread called "Racism in SC." I understandably got the threads mixed up when a comment came up on this one yesterday. I won't troll, but I will defend.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 05-01-2013 at 07:32 AM..

Old 05-01-2013, 08:40 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I won't troll
Not you... my comment was for the Necro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina