Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 06:35 PM
PBL

16 posts, read 15,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
How does a U.S. citizen's skin color affect his/her ability to earn a sufficient income in 2011? I know people with various skin tones who would absolutely love to have enough money to live wherever they want to live.

Regarding life in Greenville, if everything you have written since joining City-Data.com is true (as a long-time resident, I know much of it isn't), then why did you decide to live on a big city salary in the "redneck-infested" suburbs instead of the vibrant downtown area? It may not resemble your beloved NYC, but it is undoubtedly the best alternative available in this region.

Information for anyone interested in Greenville's Minority-Owned/Women-Owned Business Enterprise Program:
Minority/Women-Owned Business Enterprise Program

Where do you live? U R starting to act like the very people that they want to get away from! Why are you name calling? NYC is beautiful. That kinda shows that u really never even went to NYC. A person's skin color in the US has a gigantic affect on where they cold live comfortably and still feel safe. I'm so blown away that in your real world, skin color doesn't make a difference.

PJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 03:25 AM

1 posts, read 768 times
IMO the two biggest indicators of a community's racial climate is the amount of interracial couples seen and the integration of churches.

If I'm in a mixed community and walk into a church with only one race, I know there's a race problem, because I'm reasonably sure the presence of God will draw ALL people.

That being said, it appears to me churches in Laurens and Greenwood counties are very segregated. Everyone appears to get along fine in public, but there's a social line that isn't crossed.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:19 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Charleston is in good company as an inclusive city.

Charleston, South Carolina Ranks #17 In Yelp’s Top 20 Most Inclusive U.S. Cities New Study | Charleston Daily

Old 06-07-2019, 09:04 PM

139 posts, read 210,990 times
We're fine here. The racial hostility generally is a problem in yankee towns, despite what fake news cnn might say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadytoMove2? View Post
Can anyone give me an idea about the racial climate in SC? Which parts are more diverse? Thanks

Old 06-07-2019, 10:52 PM

601 posts, read 458,287 times
Don't reply to four-year-old posts. Come on people, you're better than that.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:24 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post
Don't reply to four-year-old posts. Come on people, you're better than that.
4? Try 8 !!!

Old 01-12-2024, 08:04 AM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
I don't see a problem replying to an old post. If I just saw it (and I did), then it's a new post to me. It's a great thread too because people are being open and telling it like it is, or trying to explain things away, LOL. That isn't going to fool anyone.

I'm a White guy who was married to a Black gal for nearly 20 years, so I know a little about how the race thing works, especially since I'm from the South. Yes, of course Blacks are going to be red lined out of things by those in power, who are usually White. Especially in a very Red state like S.C. Frankly, this has given me a lot of worries about moving to Columbia, a city that really appeals to me.

The good thing about the South is, you'll know who the racists are right away. The bad thing is that is is still culturally tolerated to a degree, and this goes both ways. I'm a low a income senior and love taking public transportation. Haven't owned a car in 40 years and also love riding my eBike. But when I've looked at youtube videos I only see Black folks on the bus in Columbia. When I looked at the people who actually ran public transportation there, every single face I encountered was Black. Me, I don't have a problem w/ that, Blacks have had to carve out a niche for themselves or it wasn't gonna happen. But it also means I would not have a snowball's chance in Hell of getting hired in a place like that. So as I said, this racial thing goes both ways.

When I lived in San Francisco I saw that people tend to segregate themselves anyway. Blacks lived in the Fillmore district, Hispanics in the Mission, Asians in the Avenues, etc. They didn't have to, but most people like being around others like themselves. It's really more of a cultural thing than a racial one. In the South, Blacks have long had their own separate thing by necessity. Got their own churches, food, music, all that. No problem, but my wife and I quickly saw that as an interracial couple we would have a hard time finding our niche in the South. Often we have been the only interracial couple in many places we lived. It feels a little awkward. And Whites who are prejudiced, but not necessarily racist, are very adept at hiding it. Like the realtor we talked to in Oxford, Ms. When she encountered us sitting in her office she stopped dead in her tracks for maybe 10 seconds. Then the realtor mind overrode the prejudiced mind, and she said my wife had reminded her of someone she used to know. Yeah, right.

I still don't know if Columbia will work for me. Might have to go for a look-see before moving. But from my perspective, I'm concerned about bad vibes if I'm mostly the only White is some areas, which is exactly the same thing a Black person experiences in the same situation. Race is always a factor in the South, believe it or not. It always enters into one's life.

Last edited by stephenMM; 01-12-2024 at 08:13 AM..

Old 01-12-2024, 09:52 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 8 days ago)

721 posts, read 341,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post

I'm a White guy who was married to a Black gal for nearly 20 years, so I know a little about how the race thing works, especially since I'm from the South. Yes, of course Blacks are going to be red lined out of things by those in power, who are usually White. Especially in a very Red state like S.C. Frankly, this has given me a lot of worries about moving to Columbia, a city that really appeals to me.

The good thing about the South is, you'll know who the racists are right away.
SC has one of three black senators, Tim Scott, voted for by Republicans. He's basically unbeatable. No white Democrat has challenged him in an election because they know they can't beat him.

There are black people working in good jobs all over SC. Nobody is redlined out in SC.

Some people want to make race an issue for other reasons.y

Old 01-12-2024, 10:42 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I don't see a problem replying to an old post. If I just saw it (and I did), then it's a new post to me. It's a great thread too because people are being open and telling it like it is, or trying to explain things away, LOL. That isn't going to fool anyone.

The good thing about the South is, you'll know who the racists are right away. The bad thing is that is is still culturally tolerated to a degree, and this goes both ways. I'm a low a income senior and love taking public transportation. Haven't owned a car in 40 years and also love riding my eBike. But when I've looked at youtube videos I only see Black folks on the bus in Columbia. When I looked at the people who actually ran public transportation there, every single face I encountered was Black. Me, I don't have a problem w/ that, Blacks have had to carve out a niche for themselves or it wasn't gonna happen. But it also means I would not have a snowball's chance in Hell of getting hired in a place like that. So as I said, this racial thing goes both ways.

When I lived in San Francisco I saw that people tend to segregate themselves anyway. Blacks lived in the Fillmore district, Hispanics in the Mission, Asians in the Avenues, etc. They didn't have to, but most people like being around others like themselves. It's really more of a cultural thing than a racial one. In the South, Blacks have long had their own separate thing by necessity. Got their own churches, food, music, all that. No problem, but my wife and I quickly saw that as an interracial couple we would have a hard time finding our niche in the South. Often we have been the only interracial couple in many places we lived. It feels a little awkward. And Whites who are prejudiced, but not necessarily racist, are very adept at hiding it. Like the realtor we talked to in Oxford, Ms. When she encountered us sitting in her office she stopped dead in her tracks for maybe 10 seconds. Then the realtor mind overrode the prejudiced mind, and she said my wife had reminded her of someone she used to know. Yeah, right.

I still don't know if Columbia will work for me. Might have to go for a look-see before moving. But from my perspective, I'm concerned about bad vibes if I'm mostly the only White is some areas, which is exactly the same thing a Black person experiences in the same situation. Race is always a factor in the South, believe it or not. It always enters into one's life.
In recent years the head of transit was white. The fact that the current one may be black doesn’t mean anything. I don’t see Columbia as a place that holds people back according to race or mixed marriages. I lived there 31 years and before that grew up in the larger MSA. It’s not the ‘70’s in SC anymore.

Old 01-12-2024, 10:50 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
I'm not going to say no one cares about your mixed marriage. There's always asshats (in both races) that seem to care, but they really are minority. I don't know anyone that really gives a flip about an interracial marriage. I believe there is a misconception about racism in the South as it currently exists. I've heard sooooo many times people moving here from outside areas that readily claim to their surprise that racism here is much less than where they come from (midwest and north more often).

People around here don't ride the bus because of their race. It's often a financial situation and I'll admit that seems to hit many minority communities. But quiet frankly, public transportation in the south is rarely used. I used to ride my bike to the bus stop, ride the bus with the bike on the front, and then bike in to the office. Primarily because I was trying to reduce and be part of the solution. When they moved my office and the same method would add 45 mins to my commute due to bus schedules, I went back to driving. Not many people ride the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina