Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 07:08 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,364,466 times

Advertisements

Continental readies to open... Sumter surely needs the jobs...

SUMTER COUNTY - On the road to 8 million tires a year - Business - TheState.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 01:02 PM

4 posts, read 2,886 times
I grew up in Sumter, left when I was 22. Lake Santee is not far away, the only nice thing I can say. The summers are brutal. There is little public land for outdoor recreation. Before my parents sent me to private school beginning in the 7th grade, some of my public school teachers wrote at an elementary level. While I lived there, the murder per capita rate was very high. A large portion of Sumterites are unsavory people. Many will rob you if given the chance. Many are pretenders of wealth and importance. Many are zealots who thrive on any petty authority to command others. Most have a low work ethic, a low pride in workmanship, and poor professional accountability. Adultery is rampant (so little to do that they can't help but just poke each other). And the churches are full of hypocrites. Unfortunately I am still caught up in a probate matter before an elected layperson probate judge who is fully inept and is only interested in blatantly favoring people he knows personally, with no way to have him recused. When I am finally free from that mess, upon my final departure from Sumter, I will shake the dust from my sandals and thank God.

Last edited by 308mmm; 02-27-2015 at 01:19 PM..

Old 02-27-2015, 02:02 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308mmm View Post
I grew up in Sumter, left when I was 22. Lake Santee is not far away, the only nice thing I can say. The summers are brutal. There is little public land for outdoor recreation. Before my parents sent me to private school beginning in the 7th grade, some of my public school teachers wrote at an elementary level. While I lived there, the murder per capita rate was very high. A large portion of Sumterites are unsavory people. Many will rob you if given the chance. Many are pretenders of wealth and importance. Many are zealots who thrive on any petty authority to command others. Most have a low work ethic, a low pride in workmanship, and poor professional accountability. Adultery is rampant (so little to do that they can't help but just poke each other). And the churches are full of hypocrites. Unfortunately I am still caught up in a probate matter before an elected layperson probate judge who is fully inept and is only interested in blatantly favoring people he knows personally, with no way to have him recused. When I am finally free from that mess, upon my final departure from Sumter, I will shake the dust from my sandals and thank God.

Yeah real 'salt of the earth' type people.. I guess..that salt be Epson though....LOL

Old 02-27-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Yeah real 'salt of the earth' type people.. I guess..that salt be Epson though....LOL
I have fulfilled my moral obligation to warn people who might otherwise dive into Dumpster, uh, Sumter, aka Dip****ville.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:58 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,207 times
Ahhhhh.........The wisdom of a 22 year old.

Especially since this thread was started in 2006.

Real genius at work there.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:43 PM

I didn't know much of anything at 22, but that was 29 years ago. Pay attention if you wish to insult me. I was born at the infamous Tuomey hospital (wouldn't take a dog there now) in 1963. I have lived all over the US and gained a lot of perspective. I have visited family regularly in Sumter through the years, and while it has grown, I find the general character of the people to be just as I wrote above. And I like small towns, BTW. Evergreen is a fraction of the size of Sumter. Sorry for offending some as I surely have, I might even know you, but that is my opinion, FWIW.

Last edited by 308mmm; 02-27-2015 at 06:56 PM..

Old 02-27-2015, 09:34 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,207 times
I know you aren't 22 but you are basing your opinion on your maturity at 22 when you left. That's why I commented on the wisdom of a 22 year old. I've been here since 1977 and grew up here too. But I wouldn't live anywhere else. Had several opportunities with my career to move all over the country. My response was always the same. I'll go as far as I can with this company as long as I don't had to move. I married my HS sweetheart and raised two kids here.

Funny how vastly different our view of Sumter is. Wonder why?

Old 02-27-2015, 10:11 PM

I think because of perspective. When I left Sumter I thought it was as nice a town as any. Since then I have lived in some towns that were no better like North Canton OH and Houston TX, some that were better like Greenwood SC and Clayton NC, and some that cannot be compared like Camano Island WA and Evergreen CO. I have moved to Evergreen twice. I stopped chasing the almighty dollar years ago and now insist on a very blessed quality of life. Tomorrow I will enjoy world class skiing with my younger kids. Sunday after church I might climb a local mountain with my dogs. And while dip****s are everywhere, my chances of encountering one here are relatively lower. BTW, I am also a Gamecock, started in Sumter and finished in Cola, BSEE.

Last edited by 308mmm; 02-27-2015 at 10:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina