Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 06:18 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times

Advertisements

Try reading all of this guys other posts. It is rather obvious that he is stuck on himself and where he lives is "THE ONLY PLACE" to be. It's all that and a bag of chips. Yeah right. I've been there too and I would take Hilton Head Island over Boca any day. Get the chip off your shoulder and lighten up. Hilton Head, Savannah, Fripp Island, etc. are all WONDERFUL places. But then one needs to appreciate older homes and architecture along w/ history, the palmetto trees w/ moss hanging from them standing so stately to see the beauty of it. Being asked if you want "sweet or unsweet" when you order tea, now that is AWESOME!!! Maybe if people in Boca would stop throwing their trash in the ocean it would not wash up on the beaches in SC. I saw more "rude" people in that part of Florida than I ever could have seen in HHI or Savannah. That's funny that they were watching your car and checking out the tags just so they could discriminate against you. Honey, they saw you coming a mile away with the attitude that no one or place can please you. Besides, there are not many "Southerners" in HHI. A large majority of them actually moved there from somewhere else say like Florida. I have been to every place in Florida you have listed as being better than anything you saw in GA or SC and I did not see one single golf course that measured up to the ones along the SC coastline. They have to be great to have that many PGA events. If the place was that crappy the PGA would pull the plug. But hey, let us all know where your next trip is so we can worn the locals to make sure they mistreat you, throw garbage out all over the place and pretty well ignore you when you come into their establishments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2006, 06:56 AM

26 posts, read 45,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Try reading all of this guys other posts. It is rather obvious that he is stuck on himself and where he lives is "THE ONLY PLACE" to be. It's all that and a bag of chips. Yeah right. I've been there too and I would take Hilton Head Island over Boca any day. Get the chip off your shoulder and lighten up. Hilton Head, Savannah, Fripp Island, etc. are all WONDERFUL places. But then one needs to appreciate older homes and architecture along w/ history, the palmetto trees w/ moss hanging from them standing so stately to see the beauty of it. Being asked if you want "sweet or unsweet" when you order tea, now that is AWESOME!!! Maybe if people in Boca would stop throwing their trash in the ocean it would not wash up on the beaches in SC. I saw more "rude" people in that part of Florida than I ever could have seen in HHI or Savannah. That's funny that they were watching your car and checking out the tags just so they could discriminate against you. Honey, they saw you coming a mile away with the attitude that no one or place can please you. Besides, there are not many "Southerners" in HHI. A large majority of them actually moved there from somewhere else say like Florida. I have been to every place in Florida you have listed as being better than anything you saw in GA or SC and I did not see one single golf course that measured up to the ones along the SC coastline. They have to be great to have that many PGA events. If the place was that crappy the PGA would pull the plug. But hey, let us all know where your next trip is so we can worn the locals to make sure they mistreat you, throw garbage out all over the place and pretty well ignore you when you come into their establishments.

Oh, rudeness, discrimination and racism are ALIVE AND WELL, thank you very much, in South Carolina.

See, my wife, although a US citizen for the past 25 years, is Spainish. You know, from SPAIN, that country in Europe. Doubtful, though, that anyone in South Carolina has ever been there, but perhaps you can look for it on a globe. Well, her parents, who reside in Spain, and have for their entire lives, were spending a month in the US, and joined us on the trip. Naturally, she conversed with them in Spanish, as they have lived their entire lives in Europe, and have learned very little English. My children, who have spent many summers in Spain, speak Spanish fluently, and of course need to converse with their grandparents. They were very excited to go to South Carolina, as they had heard about it, but never been there.

Well, you should have seen and heard the wonderful greeting these nice, friendly folks received in your state. Everywhere we went, we got dirty looks, rolling of the eyes, and comments. Things like "goddamned foreigners should go home", "they should speak English if they're going to be here", and "this is OUR country, speak English." We were horrified. ESPECIALLY SINCE MY WIFE AND CHILDREN ARE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES, WITH THE SAME RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES AS ANY OF THE BIGOTS THERE. These rednecks made my in-laws, and especially my children, feel very uncomfortable, to the point that they didn't even want to talk to each other in stores and restaurants. At Ft. Sumter, some hillbilly with a long white beard told my in-laws they should "go back to Cuba if you're going to refuse to speak English!" I informed the jerk that they were actually visiting from Spain, and had never even been to Cuba. His reply?? "Spain, Cuba, what's the difference?" Actually got a chuckle out of that moron. We had thought Charleston, being a bigger town, would be different from Hilton Head. It was actually WORSE. So were the other burgs I mentioned earlier, especially Summerville and Mt. Pleasant. We have never had this type of experience in Florida, or anywhere else, for that matter.

It was embarassing. It's too bad. I had brought my in-laws, from another country, and thought it would be great to show them around a little of the South. Now, they've gone home with a very poor opinon of SC. My wife and kids have said they will NEVER go back. During the vacation, my six year old son asked me why everyone there was so mean to him and his grandparents. My wife started crying. No, next time, we'll head for someplace a little more interesting and less dull, where the people are more tolerant, the beaches better maintained, the food better, etc. SC is still stuck in the days of the KKK. You can keep your miserable, backwater, bigot-filled state.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:21 AM

890 posts, read 4,326,689 times
So you think that the people that you ran into on the tourist attractions and in the tourist area stores and restaurants were all locals? You know that for a fact? In an area that attracts a large amount of visitors? From all over the country? You were the only ones there from out of town, no one else, just you and your family? I guess if I have a bad experience in Disney World I'll blame all the locals in Florida, because afterall, Disney World is in Florida so everyone in Disney World must be a local. Your logic is what is sad and if you had enough common sense to figure it out, you would have realized that these were not locals. IF any of this in fact even happened. Your story changes everytime and you keep adding to it. Personally, I think you are nothing but a troll and a bad one at that.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:57 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
LOL!!! So true. HHI is packed w/ tourists. Being a "Southerner" and NOT from SC (where did I state that?) I felt like the oddball out when visiting there. Most of the people at the hotel we stay at (very nice, upscale one in Palmetto Dunes) were from the Northeast or Florida. Even the workers wore name tags that had their hometown listed and not many of them were HHI or SC natives. Yet all were very helpful and courteous towards us. How can you tell the tourist, there the ones LOST on the streets. I guess I am just odd that even when traveling somewhere else around the country or world (honey, lots of people have been to Spain that are from the US) I obey all traffic laws, and don't stop in the middle of the road to cut across traffic because I missed my turn. That was what I encounter more on HHI than anything else. Went to some of those good dining establishments too. All were good, courteous, great service, etc. The only one that was so-so and barely said "thank you" was an Italian place owned by an Italian from NEW YORK!!! LOL!!!!

I was in your neck of the woods recently. All the way from Palm Beach to Key West. The friendliest people were in Key West. The rest...... much to be desired. Those people would cut you off in traffic and flip you off just for being there. I like to ask the "locals" or those that I run into that have been visiting an area for a long time good places to go eat and see. Trying to talk to them was not the easiest thing to do as most would ignore you. But they were tourists and not "locals". Where they came from I have no idea but from their accents it was not "Southern".

I have never seen ANYONE anywhere in the U.S. be that ugly to someone to their face for no reason at all. What I have seen is when someone is disrespectful and obnoxious being treated that way. If you let your kids run loose and run into people, scream and holler, act obnoxious, adults being just as obnoxious, etc you are going to be treated poorly. That is to be expected.

I do hope you tell us where you plan on going next. We want to warn the "locals". BTW, can you tell us one place that you have visited that was perfect?

Old 09-08-2006, 08:18 AM

6 posts, read 26,564 times
Default Hilton Head Island

David,
Sorry to hear about your bad experience on Hilton Head. We're considering a move to South Carolina and we're visiting Hilton Head in April 07 to see what it's like. I've kind of eliminated Hilton Head but would like to take a look at Bluffton and Beaufort as our future retirement home.

We spent a month at the Isle of Palms recently and visited Mt. Pleasant and Charleston. We thought both areas were great. The people there were very friendly, the restaurants were great and the golf courses were everything I'd hoped they'd be. Sounds like you didn't have the same kind of luck we did.

We're from Boston, Mass. I haven't experienced any problems with South Carolinians because of where we're from. Most of the people we ran into were either from NJ, Pa., or NY. There must be something good about SC or these people wouldn't be living there now.

Maybe you should try again
AlanD

Old 09-09-2006, 02:31 PM

26 posts, read 45,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
LOL!!! So true. HHI is packed w/ tourists. Being a "Southerner" and NOT from SC (where did I state that?) I felt like the oddball out when visiting there. Most of the people at the hotel we stay at (very nice, upscale one in Palmetto Dunes) were from the Northeast or Florida. Even the workers wore name tags that had their hometown listed and not many of them were HHI or SC natives. Yet all were very helpful and courteous towards us. How can you tell the tourist, there the ones LOST on the streets. I guess I am just odd that even when traveling somewhere else around the country or world (honey, lots of people have been to Spain that are from the US) I obey all traffic laws, and don't stop in the middle of the road to cut across traffic because I missed my turn. That was what I encounter more on HHI than anything else. Went to some of those good dining establishments too. All were good, courteous, great service, etc. The only one that was so-so and barely said "thank you" was an Italian place owned by an Italian from NEW YORK!!! LOL!!!!

I was in your neck of the woods recently. All the way from Palm Beach to Key West. The friendliest people were in Key West. The rest...... much to be desired. Those people would cut you off in traffic and flip you off just for being there. I like to ask the "locals" or those that I run into that have been visiting an area for a long time good places to go eat and see. Trying to talk to them was not the easiest thing to do as most would ignore you. But they were tourists and not "locals". Where they came from I have no idea but from their accents it was not "Southern".

I have never seen ANYONE anywhere in the U.S. be that ugly to someone to their face for no reason at all. What I have seen is when someone is disrespectful and obnoxious being treated that way. If you let your kids run loose and run into people, scream and holler, act obnoxious, adults being just as obnoxious, etc you are going to be treated poorly. That is to be expected.

I do hope you tell us where you plan on going next. We want to warn the "locals". BTW, can you tell us one place that you have visited that was perfect?
Maybe you should learn how to drive if you get cut off in traffic and flipped off. I never have a problem driving in South Florida. We had no problems driving in SC, either. Where you got that from I have no idea.

Now, of course, someone used to old, run down houses, cow pastures, unkempt roads, and 'moss covered' trees will never be a good fit for someplace as cosmopolitian as South Florida. That's fine by me. I didn't ask if you liked it here or not. However, as I posted, we were extremely disappointed with our trip to South Carolina. SC is nowhere near what it's hyped up to be. I'm used to manicured lawns, great homes, clean beaches, good restaurants, and nice stores & malls.

Old 09-09-2006, 03:34 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID_S View Post
Oh, rudeness, discrimination and racism are ALIVE AND WELL, thank you very much, in South Carolina.

See, my wife, although a US citizen for the past 25 years, is Spainish. You know, from SPAIN, that country in Europe. Doubtful, though, that anyone in South Carolina has ever been there, but perhaps you can look for it on a globe. Well, her parents, who reside in Spain, and have for their entire lives, were spending a month in the US, and joined us on the trip. Naturally, she conversed with them in Spanish, as they have lived their entire lives in Europe, and have learned very little English. My children, who have spent many summers in Spain, speak Spanish fluently, and of course need to converse with their grandparents. They were very excited to go to South Carolina, as they had heard about it, but never been there.

Well, you should have seen and heard the wonderful greeting these nice, friendly folks received in your state. Everywhere we went, we got dirty looks, rolling of the eyes, and comments. Things like "goddamned foreigners should go home", "they should speak English if they're going to be here", and "this is OUR country, speak English." We were horrified. ESPECIALLY SINCE MY WIFE AND CHILDREN ARE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES, WITH THE SAME RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES AS ANY OF THE BIGOTS THERE. These rednecks made my in-laws, and especially my children, feel very uncomfortable, to the point that they didn't even want to talk to each other in stores and restaurants. At Ft. Sumter, some hillbilly with a long white beard told my in-laws they should "go back to Cuba if you're going to refuse to speak English!" I informed the jerk that they were actually visiting from Spain, and had never even been to Cuba. His reply?? "Spain, Cuba, what's the difference?" Actually got a chuckle out of that moron. We had thought Charleston, being a bigger town, would be different from Hilton Head. It was actually WORSE. So were the other burgs I mentioned earlier, especially Summerville and Mt. Pleasant. We have never had this type of experience in Florida, or anywhere else, for that matter.

It was embarassing. It's too bad. I had brought my in-laws, from another country, and thought it would be great to show them around a little of the South. Now, they've gone home with a very poor opinon of SC. My wife and kids have said they will NEVER go back. During the vacation, my six year old son asked me why everyone there was so mean to him and his grandparents. My wife started crying. No, next time, we'll head for someplace a little more interesting and less dull, where the people are more tolerant, the beaches better maintained, the food better, etc. SC is still stuck in the days of the KKK. You can keep your miserable, backwater, bigot-filled state.
I must say if this did happen SC should be ashamed! My family and I went there and didn't experience any of this. Although, my wife being 100% Mexican and daughter 1/2 if I did, I wouldn't have backed down to ANY local. As they say in my neighborhhod it would have been "on". I do agree, the locals with their old way of living in trailers is in the past (many are being removed for new land development) and the new generation is coming and were spending $200-$500k on a home. We saw many lawns that were keep up (some that weren't) and many nice cars/trucks. The area we went to had money that's for sure (Fort Mill and Tega Cay). We talked to many and told them where we were from and everyone we meet was willing to help. Not every area is the same nor for one person. Good luck on your next vacation.

Last edited by TornadoAlley; 09-09-2006 at 03:43 PM..

Old 09-30-2006, 05:12 AM

11 posts, read 44,409 times
Default hilton head visit

I just spent time in Hilton Head, we are considering the Hilton Head sun city which is actually in Bluffton. We had planned a week but enjoyed the area so much that we stayed 2. We were in a Rv park just on the island and it was really beautiful. One visit to Hilton Head told us to find our interest elsewhere and we did. we had a environmental shrimp boat trip drove 20 min to Savanah, spent time in Beaufort and ate at some fabulous restaurants. the people were friendly, helpful and I loved the area.
Everyone is different and so interests are different. I love the water but not the beaches, you will only catch me on the beach to walk it and see the shells, birds and smell the air. I love the grasses where I wonder what is living down under and wish I could boat out there to see. We traveled all over NC and SC to see various sun cities and areas to try and decide where we would want to be when we sell our home in fort myers.
We found things to do everywhere we went. Perhaps travel is harder for some.

Old 09-30-2006, 08:37 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,827 times
Quote:
We also took a day trip to Charleston. Yet another over-hyped town. I've been told that Charleston was just wonderful. Well, it is a complete joke. Just another boring, small, miserable little town, with nothing there. Old houses? Big deal. Most of them looked like nothing I'd ever want to live in. You want to see nice homes, go to Palm Beach. There were, however, plenty of rude, obnoxious people, just like in Hilton Head. Forget Charleston, it's a real dump.
That's a shame. We visited Charleston several years ago and had a great time. We had an especially wonderful breakfast at the Charleston Place Hotel. My DH still talks about going back there just for the Shrimp and Sausage on Grits he had that morning. (I'm sure there is a name for that recipe, I don't recall it though). That is where I was introduced to coffee served in a french press, and have used one ever since.

The people were extremely friendly, we walked all over the city and had a great time. We're hoping to return someday to enjoy their jazz clubs which we didn't have time to get to previously.

Quote:
I can't say that I blame anyone for being angry after their family is treated that way. I pray that is the exception in this country, not the norm, but I worry about that.
Your wife comes from a beautiful country - I've been there, fell in love with Madrid, and my European relatives used to vacation in the Costa del Sol. Gorgeous.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:44 AM
cdf

2 posts, read 13,004 times
Hi,
I'm supposed to visit HH with my relatives and David S' posts are making me very nervous. You see, I was born in Colombia (though I am not an "illegal") and my husband and his family are all Caucasian Americans. Boy, do I look like a fly in the oatmeal when we go out! After hearing about how your European wife was treated I can only wonder as to how a Latin American will fare. No doubt people will assume I must be part of the janitorial staff when they see me in the hotel (of course I'll fullfill all their assumptions about "lazy, shiftless immigrant slackers" when they notice I'm not pushing a mop around). Probably they'll see me with my two kids and wonder where the other seven are and of course they'll assume that they have different fathers who are no longer in the picture. I knew HH was a bad idea (I wanted to go to Florida instead).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina