Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 01:14 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,768,262 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about a move to SC for some time now.
I was talking to a native of SC and i was told it would be hard..
To make friends and no matter how long i lived there i would be..
Thought of as an outsider.
Im someone who mainly grew up in small-town Mid-West & TX.
I tend to adapt to areas in time as my family was military although
Probably not as much now being that im older.
Would this hold true for mostly the small-town and rural areas?
I currently live in Kansas and i notice kansas doesnt really have a..
Strong culture vs other places.the concept of "outsiders" would mostly..
only exist here in the smaller towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 01:27 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,028,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I have been thinking about a move to SC for some time now.
I was talking to a native of SC and i was told it would be hard..
To make friends and no matter how long i lived there i would be..
Thought of as an outsider.
Im someone who mainly grew up in small-town Mid-West & TX.
I tend to adapt to areas in time as my family was military although
Probably not as much now being that im older.
Would this hold true for mostly the small-town and rural areas?
I currently live in Kansas and i notice kansas doesnt really have a..
Strong culture vs other places.the concept of "outsiders" would mostly..
only exist here in the smaller towns.
I think this depends on where you move at in South Carolina, to generalize the whole state that way is unfair. We moved from Ohio to Columbia, and have met and made friends with some very nice people and haven't felt that we were treated like outsiders w/the exception of maybe a couple of people we've run into. I would imagine if you move into a small town, that might be an issue, but I would argue that if you moved into any small town in any part of the country, you'd face those challenges. Not to mention there are a lot of transplants from all parts of the country into the state, especially retired people.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:34 PM

765 posts, read 1,911,862 times
The south isn't New England where you always will be an outsider. If you come here with an open mind and be yourself you won't have any problems. There isn't ole henry at the outskirts of town with a shotgun to keep out the yankee varments, You may be pleasantly surprised to see what we have to offer. City of Aiken Home: City of Aiken, South Carolina

Old 10-31-2008, 01:44 PM

Thanks Buckeye & Elvis for your input..
I will never think of myself as a Yankee!I have looked at Aikens website,
Beautiful area,Looks like the Old South,The Horse culture there is very interesting
As well.I would love to visit someday.
Elvis are you a Aiken native?

Old 10-31-2008, 01:58 PM

765 posts, read 1,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Thanks Buckeye & Elvis for your input..
I will never think of myself as a Yankee!I have looked at Aikens website,
Beautiful area,Looks like the Old South,The Horse culture there is very interesting
As well.I would love to visit someday.
Elvis are you a Aiken native?
All my life.. and if you get the chance check out Aiken if not in person take a virtual tour at googles streets and cities ..

Old 10-31-2008, 02:16 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
It depends on how different you are from the people in your community. There's no correct answer for this question.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:41 PM

620 posts, read 1,951,489 times
Hey Joe~ We miss you over at Crazyma's.

Anyhow, I am just moving out of SC( going back home). I really think it depends on you and the area you go too. We have lived in several areas of the state. People might not treat you as an outsider,but YOU MIGHT feel as an outsider.

Where we lived for the past ten years was truly a culture shock to us because we were coming from large cities. We met great friends ,but we were considered a "YANKEE" by some. LOL.

I think that people always think the grass might be greener some place else. Just be prepared that it might not be what you actually thought it would be.

BTW~I told my friends an coworkers, "This Yankee is finally going home!"

I think too, rubber factory's answer was right on target. If you are in Rome-remember you are expected to do as Romans do. ( That is especially true in SC!)

Good luck.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:35 PM

I debated posting this because there are many similar posts but i feel..
Its a legit concern.
Im moving to SC because of the scenery,being close to Ocean,Mountains.
I like the Southern feel and culture and want to see it stay that way.
Im also not a fan of Cold Weather.

Am i supposed to at Crazyma's Bootcamp?Raisin3boys

Old 10-31-2008, 10:23 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,533,143 times
The Greenville/Spartanburg area would be a great place for you to consider. Because of the region's great success over the past 15-20 years in recruiting a lot of outside businesses, particularly international companies, this region is particularly welcoming to people from all places. We recently moved frm NC and have found everyone from professionals to retail employees to be extremely friendly. Also, you have the option of more urban type areas such as downtown Greenville and plenty of smaller communities in the outskirts.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:49 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
The Greenville/Spartanburg area would be a great place for you to consider. Because of the region's great success over the past 15-20 years in recruiting a lot of outside businesses, particularly international companies, this region is particularly welcoming to people from all places. We recently moved frm NC and have found everyone from professionals to retail employees to be extremely friendly. Also, you have the option of more urban type areas such as downtown Greenville and plenty of smaller communities in the outskirts.
I second roadpony's comments. The Greater Greenville area is much more diverse than some people realize, due in no small part to the many large and international firms that have located in the area. You have a great mix of big city amenities (nice restaurants, excellent performing arts venues, positive growth, etc.) as well as just enough Southern Charm to remind you that you are in a special place. People there are usually friendly and welcoming. You won't have any problems in Greenville, regardless of your background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina