Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 02:19 PM

345 posts, read 976,388 times

Advertisements

I'm not a native of North or South Carolina (born and raised in Maryland, currently reside in Florida.)

However, I've come to be a huge, huge fan of the Carolina style BBQ sauce. I love the taste of the mustard/vinegar mix with a little bit of red pepper mixed in for spice.

For some reason, the "traditional" ketchup based BBQ sauce doesn't excite me...it just tastes like smoky ketchup to me.

Are there any Carolina BBQ afficiandos out here with any special tips and recipes? I'm curious for a native Carolinian perspective. Do any Carolinians swear by Carolina style BBQ exclusively? Is there a huge east/west BBQ split?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 05:25 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Pete -

There have been plenty of threads about BBQ, so you may want to try a search. But, that mustard style you're talking about is good. My understanding is that it started when a German immigrants came to SC. People call it Carolina Gold or Carolina Mustard Sauce. I like it better with pork tenderloin or smoked chicken, personally.

The eastern part of the state uses vinegar and pepper mix, which is my favorite, but will dry out the BBQ easily if overused. I grew up right on the line, geographically, between mustard and vinegar. My opinion is that mustard is more versatile, but vinegar is better suited specifically to BBQ.

I believe the upstate uses something like that ketchup-based. North Carolina is the same way (east = vinegar, west = ketchup), only they don't use any mustard based sauces.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:34 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,471,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
I'm not a native of North or South Carolina (born and raised in Maryland, currently reside in Florida.)

However, I've come to be a huge, huge fan of the Carolina style BBQ sauce. I love the taste of the mustard/vinegar mix with a little bit of red pepper mixed in for spice.

For some reason, the "traditional" ketchup based BBQ sauce doesn't excite me...it just tastes like smoky ketchup to me.

Are there any Carolina BBQ afficiandos out here with any special tips and recipes? I'm curious for a native Carolinian perspective. Do any Carolinians swear by Carolina style BBQ exclusively? Is there a huge east/west BBQ split?
that mustard based BBQ sauce was actually started in Charleston by Joe Bessinger in the 30's

FAQ

there may have been other variants but his beat all, and still does IMHO

Old 09-04-2007, 09:26 PM

153 posts, read 715,548 times
I feel your pain The generic "BBQ Sauce" phenomenon in generic America is a shame, and has really made a mess of what real BBQ sauce is.

In this state you tend to have 4 compteting bases (styles)-

-vinegar base (more traditional) usually in the SC Lowcountry and SC/NC coastal areas.

-mustard base (SC only) Charleston up through the Midlands & Columbia. The Bessinger family can claim what it wants, but it was actually started in the 1730's by German immigrants.

-light tomato base - Upstate SC/Piedmont of NC

-heavy tomato (ketchup) base- Upstate SC/Mountains NC & nationally

Here is a map from the SC Atlas, that shows the general geographic distribution of BBQ base preferences within the state. Id say its pretty accurate. But its a tricky thing to take in. I was brought up in Spartanburg County, and I grew up with a mustard base that my family made, even though restaurants tended to not serve it.

http://www.sc.edu/usctimes/articles/2005-02/images/barbeque_map.jpg (broken link)

Here is a map that is more generalized, but gives you the regional feel:

You can see what I'm talking about by the differences in these two maps. Its hard to pin one style down to one exact line.

You can find any style in any place due to the "chain restaurant" effect nowadays, but the first map is relatively accurate within SC for the REAL bbq places. Here is a link to the history of BBQ in SC (http://www.scbarbeque.com/History.html - broken link).

Old 09-07-2007, 12:33 PM

345 posts, read 976,388 times
Thanks for the links and the BBQ history.

No offense to Texas and Kansas City, but I do find South Carolina Barbeque to be the best there is.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:24 PM

24 posts, read 61,184 times
Default Try Charlotte's "Penguin" for BBQ and Onion Rings

in the trendy Noda district it's the best BBQ and O'rings ever. Very small and cozy atmosphere, weekends, there will be a wait. Come back and rave about it after you visit.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:58 PM

6 posts, read 30,475 times
Default Carolina BBQ (Vinegar Base)

You need to try Scotts BBQ in Hemingway, SC. He still cooks with wood and has catered for the State House in Columbia. He has take out service only (Thursday thru Saturday).

Old 05-10-2008, 10:45 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,104 times
I believe NC has 3 BBQ sauces but SC has all 4. Am I correct?

Old 05-12-2008, 08:31 AM

221 posts, read 1,032,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
I believe NC has 3 BBQ sauces but SC has all 4. Am I correct?
Judging from the maps, I'd say NC doesn't have any Mustard based sauce, so I'd say you are correct.

I guess I grew up in the Mustard region, but I'm a fan of all of them really. It depends on who's making the sauce, but I can find a version of each that I like.

Alot of restaurants will give you the option by having multiple bottles on the table and letting you choose.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:44 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Mustard-based for me all day, any day, every day (with a side of hash and rice). I'm not a big fan of the vinegar-based style at all. I suppose it's probably an acquired taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina