Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 08:03 AM

4 posts, read 7,129 times

Advertisements

My husband has recently been transferred to the northern area of SC. WE could potenially live in either SC or NC. Im looking for schools as my daughter will be a junior in HS. Most important to her is Marching Band/Concert and a volleyball team. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 08:33 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Mauldin HS has an excellent Band Director and an award winning Marching Band. Our band numbers around 140 and seems to grow every year. We have been involved with them since 2007. Check the links of previous performances:

Mauldin High School Band - State Finals @ Irmo, SC - 11/06/10 - YouTube

Mauldin High School Marching Band 2011 State Prelims - YouTube

Mauldin High School Marching Band 2011 State Finals - YouTube

If you look through the video's posted by mtand5 you will see lots more.

Link to Band website which is under construction right now but they will be back MarchingMavsunderconstruction

Here is the link to the school site. I believe there is a volleyball team but I really am not sure. Hopefully you will find everything you need in the link.

http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/mauldinh/

One item of note. Greenville County consistently sends more students to Region and All State competitions. I have an email somewhere that has specifics about this but I can't locate it.

We hold our own Tournament of Bands every year. I believe last year's was our 25th Annual.

Go MAVS!!!!!!!!

Last edited by myrc60; 02-04-2012 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 02-04-2012, 08:49 AM

899 posts, read 2,288,442 times
I think it would help the discussion if we knew where you were going to be living/what town your husband is working in. The "northern area" of South Carolina could mean a lot of places!

Old 02-04-2012, 08:58 AM

4 posts, read 7,129 times
Thanks Myrc60, thats some great information on your marching band. Our HS Band now has 130 members and an awesome program. Now I just need to see where Mauldin HS is located Will definitely check it out. And innovator, my hubby is a District Manager and will cover an area from Myrtle Beach to Greenville/Spartenburg. So, we were thinking somewhere in the middle of the state so that the commute to work with his reps will be of equal distance, which could even involve the southern part of NC

Old 02-04-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsphillips View Post
Thanks Myrc60, thats some great information on your marching band. Our HS Band now has 130 members and an awesome program. Now I just need to see where Mauldin HS is located Will definitely check it out. And innovator, my hubby is a District Manager and will cover an area from Myrtle Beach to Greenville/Spartenburg. So, we were thinking somewhere in the middle of the state so that the commute to work with his reps will be of equal distance, which could even involve the southern part of NC
You're welcome bsphillips! We are very proud of our students and band! I don't know much about the bands closer to Columbia but I have another link for you to the State Band site direct to Marching Band Competitions SC Band Link

Old 02-04-2012, 09:15 AM

899 posts, read 2,288,442 times
Wow...so it sounds like you have a lot of options for a new town to live in! There is not a direct interstate across the Northern part of SC that connects Greenville to Myrtle Beach. It sounds like your husband's territory may not include Columbia in the center part of the state - if it did, that would be a nice mid-point between Greenville and Myrtle Beach with interstate access to each.

The best schools in the northern part of the state are going to be in the Greenville-Spartanburg area (this is called the "Upstate" area) and also the South Carolina suburbs of Charlotte (parts of York and Lancaster counties). Lots of schools in South Carolina treat marching band like a religion - it is very big at certain schools in the Upstate. It has always been big with a lot of the Spartanburg County schools like Byrnes, Dorman, and Boiling Springs High Schools. All good schools too. I am sure it is big with a number of the high schools in the Fort Mill area (York County) which also has good schools.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:33 AM

Whatever you do, don't settle on Hillcrest HS in Simpsonville. The band is very small and I have a feeling your child would be very disappointed; I know we would have been. If you want I can check the programs I have from last year for class rank of schools you maybe interested in.

Oh, and I misspoke earlier; we have been involved with Mav Band since 2003!

Old 02-06-2012, 03:54 PM

69 posts, read 186,214 times
I agree, when I was in high school, we always went to compete with the top bands (Byrnes and Dorman especially). They have a solid band program. They usually always had several people in the different ensembles every year (I don't remember the name but one is like concert band with the best players in the upstate). SC band link will probably be most helpful when choosing a band...as far as the school's go, you have to be careful. Everyone gets different things out of different schools and some schools are great for some kids and not so great for others. See if you can visit for a bit (the school and/or the band) and meet with band director's (or sometimes you can email them-you'll know when you've found the right one).

Old 04-27-2012, 03:35 PM

14 posts, read 33,526 times
Could someone tell me about the weather in the Spartenburg area....is it as humid as Charleston or CHarlotte, NC?

Do any of the HS in the Spartenburg area have any type of Magnet schools?

Old 04-27-2012, 03:46 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenJen63 View Post
Could someone tell me about the weather in the Spartenburg area....is it as humid as Charleston or CHarlotte, NC?

Do any of the HS in the Spartenburg area have any type of Magnet schools?
Spartanburg will be as humid as Charlotte, but nowhere near Charleston's level of coastal humidity.

Greenville has Magnet Schools. Spartanburg does not offer these to my knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina