Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2007, 07:25 AM

3 posts, read 5,992 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently living on Long Island, NY, but planning to relocate down south in the near future. We have been searching the web for gated communities which we would prefer to live in. I have recently stumbled upon Park West in Mount Pleasant. Can anyone provide me with information regarding the area and/or any other communities in Mt. Pleasant. We have 2 children (1 out of college and 1 in college), so schools are not a main concern. We would like to live near shopping and lots of activities. Our only worry are the hurricanes, possible flooding and the cost of flood insurance. We appreciate any thoughts on the subject. Thank you.

Last edited by anya1; 10-13-2007 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: left out word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 03:45 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,879,563 times
We moved from Long Beach to Pawleys Island last year and my wife & I really love it. It kinda reminds us of Long Island a few generations ago. We have a little one in the elementary school & HS age boy and they have adjusted well. Neighbors are great and the weather is fantastic.

I've read & heard that the Mt Pleasant/ Summerville areas are very nice but I am not familiar enough to compare.

You are right to be concerned about hurricanes, but to be honest, LI (especialy the south shore) is as much of a threat from hurricanes as it is along the coast of SC. However, the cost of homeowners insurance is more expensive here. We have a 3800 sqft house & pay $3k a year for homeowners insurance including wind & hail. The state legislature is trying to work out some programs that are supposed to bring in more companies and lower the costs. The past two seasons have been quiet for hurricanes, so hopefully it will level off.

Here are some nice communities around this area:
Pawleys Retreat (not gated)
Welcome to Ricefields, Pawleys Island SC (not gated)
DeBordieu *** Homepage
http://www.heritageplantation.com/
Pawleys Plantation Exceptional Golf Experience
The Reserve Golf Club
The Tradition Club
Willbrook Plantation

Last edited by Global Friend; 10-13-2007 at 05:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina