Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 06:25 PM

252 posts, read 282,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
Why would you think that? Aiken has a larger population than Anderson.
I would have thought Anderson was one zip too.

Is Aiken much bigger than Anderson, they seem pretty similar to me in size. Anderson's downtown seems much more urban with more buildings too, and Anderson seems to have more chain restaurants and an active mall. I guess being near the interstate helps it but Aiken is near the state's biggest employer in SRS.

What would you say to somebody to persuade them Aiken was better than Anderson? I was thinking about moving to Anderson but I visited last week and not sure if I would like it there that much. That main drag seems pretty tacky.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 09:30 PM

730 posts, read 1,401,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoyed3 View Post
I would have thought Anderson was one zip too.

Is Aiken much bigger than Anderson, they seem pretty similar to me in size. Anderson's downtown seems much more urban with more buildings too, and Anderson seems to have more chain restaurants and an active mall. I guess being near the interstate helps it but Aiken is near the state's biggest employer in SRS.

What would you say to somebody to persuade them Aiken was better than Anderson? I was thinking about moving to Anderson but I visited last week and not sure if I would like it there that much. That main drag seems pretty tacky.
Aiken has maybe 3-5,000 more people in population. I can't speak on Anderson's downtown. The only side of Anderson I've been on is 28/Pearman Dairy and Westside High on the way to Clemson. When it comes to chains, I feel Aiken offers its fair share: Red Lobster, Outback, Chili's, Fatz, Applebee's, Cracker Barrel, Ruby Tuesday, Five Guys, Which Wich, Travinia, IHOP, Bonefish Grill (coming soon), Longhorns (coming soon). The mall in Aiken leaves some to be desired, the building is a typical 80s-90s mall and probably needs to remodel and remarket itself. I find Aiken's downtown to be vibrant and full of bars, local restaurants, shops, and the arts (arts aren't my thing, but it's there). Very walk able and historical.

I'm not saying one is better than the other. I've just seen other people on here refer to Anderson as a city and Aiken as a small town and I don't get it. A small town to me are the Edgefields, Barnwells, and Abbevilles of this state. I sometimes think people on this site see Aiken as an afterthought because it isn't near the "big 3" of Columbia, Greenville, and Charleston. I just think Aiken is a great place to live. Traffic isn't an issue, it's close to lots of things, people are nice and friendly, and the cost of living is good. Lord I knows I miss it compared to Lexington (gag) .

Old 07-13-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
Aiken has maybe 3-5,000 more people in population. I can't speak on Anderson's downtown. The only side of Anderson I've been on is 28/Pearman Dairy and Westside High on the way to Clemson. When it comes to chains, I feel Aiken offers its fair share: Red Lobster, Outback, Chili's, Fatz, Applebee's, Cracker Barrel, Ruby Tuesday, Five Guys, Which Wich, Travinia, IHOP, Bonefish Grill (coming soon), Longhorns (coming soon). The mall in Aiken leaves some to be desired, the building is a typical 80s-90s mall and probably needs to remodel and remarket itself. I find Aiken's downtown to be vibrant and full of bars, local restaurants, shops, and the arts (arts aren't my thing, but it's there). Very walk able and historical.

I'm not saying one is better than the other. I've just seen other people on here refer to Anderson as a city and Aiken as a small town and I don't get it. A small town to me are the Edgefields, Barnwells, and Abbevilles of this state. I sometimes think people on this site see Aiken as an afterthought because it isn't near the "big 3" of Columbia, Greenville, and Charleston. I just think Aiken is a great place to live. Traffic isn't an issue, it's close to lots of things, people are nice and friendly, and the cost of living is good. Lord I knows I miss it compared to Lexington (gag) .
Well the Westside of Anderson isn't the nicer area, you need to go to the north Anderson area off of 81 from downtown to the interstate for the nicer areas.

Aiken does ok, but I lived there 2 years and the lack of options did start to grate on me. It looks like it has picked up some new places though. Anderson has had a Longhorns, Logans, Texas Roadhouse, and Outback for awhile and i am sure some local steak places too. I am surprised neither has a Jason's Deli or McCalister's deli. Aiken had a decent local deli near the Publix but don't think it is there anymore.

Aiken has more of a village vibe to it and there is really no ugly area like Anderson has. Anderson seems a lot bigger in terms of land area, it seems more spread out. Aiken has better roads and I like how it is not so close to the interstate, Anderson kind of seems like it right on top of 85.

I would say both are big small cities.

I think Aiken is better known on a national level than Anderson is partly b/c it is more of a retirment town than Anderson and it has the largest employer in the state that attracts more transplants than Anderson can. Plus it is one of the top horse towns in the south.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:31 AM

18 posts, read 35,520 times
I stand corrected about the Houndslake ZIP 29803. Perhaps the secret of good services is not the ZIP, but is to stay within city limits. Complaints I have heard have come from the far southern end of 29803, the New Ellenton end, a good distance from Aiken city limits.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2sc View Post
I stand corrected about the Houndslake ZIP 29803. Perhaps the secret of good services is not the ZIP, but is to stay within city limits. Complaints I have heard have come from the far southern end of 29803, the New Ellenton end, a good distance from Aiken city limits.
What do you mean by good services? What is the difference b/t living in city limits and outside as far as services go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina