Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 06:16 PM

47 posts, read 162,899 times

Advertisements

Which is better, NC or SC? And why? I want to move to an inexpensive area with public transportation (buses, trolleys, amtrak, etc) that has a nice climate with little or no snow, ice, or hurricanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Well, hurricanes can hit any part of NC or SC, and I've lived in the mountains of NC where you can still get part of hurricanes (tornadoes, hail, etc). As far as snow and ice is concerned, ice storms happen in both states usually once a year. SC is generally only a couple of degrees warmer than NC, and they share pretty much the same weather patterns.

Depending on what you are used to, NC and SC are probably slightly less-expensive. However, there is a reason that homes are cheaper here - lower pay. If you want access to Amtrak I would suggest Charlotte, NC or its suburbs. Greenville, SC has Amtrak access and I believe Raleigh-Durham also has it.

Personally I think SC is a little better. NC can be a bit awkward, as when I was in the suburbs of Charlotte, everyone hid behind locked doors, and it seemed to be a hostile environment to me...but my personal experience may not be the same as others.

However, I'd like to know if there are any other requirements you have? You seem to be concerned with the weather only. I would advise researching a little bit more and having higher expectations, or you may regret the "blind jump" mistake made by so many.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,310 times
I'm a single mother relocating from Chicago. My daughters are 13 & 14 years old and I don't want to live in an all Black community, I'm hoping for a mixed enviornment that is affordable. I'm looking for apartment homes. (I'm Black). Do you have any feedback in regards to the above or more specifically any information on "Rock Hill", SC.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:02 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Check out the York and Lancaster counties section to get detailed information about Rock Hill.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:30 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
It all depends on what you're looking for! And the weather can vary GREATLY from NC to SC. I have family up in Winston-Salem, NC and it's cooler there and rainier there than here in Aiken, SC. Their winters are much cooler and they got lots more snow than us last year. And yes an inch of snow is a LOT here!

Do yourself a favor and visit both states. Pick out some areas that look interesting to you. See if jobs are available there. When visiting, do NOT be a tourist! Go seek out things you need to live....grocery stores, gas stations, banks, Walmarts, clothing stores, etc. Some places look great on the internet and then you get there and it's a complete dump. The city's website has pictures from 1982 when the factory was still open. Really seeing is believing! Drive around all over the area and make sure the area really is what you're looking for. The ghetto may only be a few blocks away from your dream house....can you live with that? One thing I learned moving to the South compared to the North....railroad tracks don't always happen in the bad side of town. That's typically where they are in many areas up North. Make sure you have a job BEFORE you move! And a lot of money saved up....moving is EXPENSIVE and you have lots of fees for connections like electricity, gas, phone, cable, etc that other areas don't have. That was alllll new to me as well. Don't forget to save for registering your car and the personal property tax!

Old 07-31-2010, 04:39 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie85 View Post
Which is better, NC or SC? And why? I want to move to an inexpensive area with public transportation (buses, trolleys, amtrak, etc) that has a nice climate with little or no snow, ice, or hurricanes.
Probably NC will have more of what you are looking for. NC has some big cities and nationally known universities UNC at Chapel Hill --and Duke on an Ivy League caliber.It also has some big cities which by definition usually include good public transportation and competitive pricing in general. More amenities, better shopping and better quality medical care at better rates and a bigger variety of things in general. Both states have high water costs. NC won't be as excrutiatingly hot in the summers as SC or at least southern SC is.

If you want to avoid hurricanes, then the coastal areas of both states would be out of the question.

Having moved here from southern New England (for many of the same reasons that you want to move) where I was just 1.5 hours from Boston, I find that SC, not having any big cities, lacks some important amenities that I had grown used to. Unfortunately there are no big cities anywhere in the state of SC. There are also no Ivy League caliber schools anywhere in the state so you can't expect libraries or medical care or public transportation to be on a par with a bigger city with nationally recognized schools.

One big difference between NC and SC is that NC does allow both natural medicine and western medicine whereas in SC, natural medicine except for chiropractic and acupuncture is illegal. To me that is a big negative as it carries over into the general awareness of the people in the state and their desire for organic foods and the number of markets that offer organic foods etc. I think NC wins hands down in that department.

Before you move anywhere, visit that place in the summertime so you can see how hot it feels. I thought looking at temperature charts, summers in Charleston would be no worse than hot summer days in New England. In fact they are far worse. What the temperature charts show is average temperatures, they don't indicate what it feels like(heat index) due to lack of breeze and high humidity which can feel like 30 degrees higher temperatures for weeks on end. In fact I went outside early this evening and actually felt that the temperature was bearable. When I checked it was 88 and the heat index was 110. Earlier it had been in the high nineties with heat indexes in the 120's. What I'm getting at is it is HOT when you think it feels tolerable and almost comfortable with a 110 heat index.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:36 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
Actually, my doctor in Greenville practices totally integrative healthcare (completely natural).

Old 08-02-2010, 07:37 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Probably NC will have more of what you are looking for. NC has some big cities and nationally known universities UNC at Chapel Hill --and Duke on an Ivy League caliber.It also has some big cities which by definition usually include good public transportation and competitive pricing in general.

does North Carolina have better public transit than SC? Charlotte's light rail is the only advantage I can think of.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:03 AM

540 posts, read 1,679,063 times
There's very little public transit in SC, at least on the coast. SC is an impoverished state overall, so don't expect too much, and you won't be dissapointed.

I'd say NC is the better choice for a good quality of life like you're used to.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:10 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
There's very little public transit in SC, at least on the coast. SC is an impoverished state overall, so don't expect too much, and you won't be dissapointed.

I'd say NC is the better choice for a good quality of life like you're used to.

i don't know. i think comments like, "NC has better public transit" and "NC has better quality of life" are nonsense when applied across the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina