Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2006, 10:07 PM

9 posts, read 81,716 times

Advertisements

Would like to say all the things I enjoy about Beaufort. But people might come. and stay I did.
Boiled peanuts ,shrip, crabs, even grits
Well hush my puppies, thems gooood, also
Man does not live by bread alone,add blue crab,mayo, life is great.
A 50/50% S.O.B. (not what you think)
50% there
50% wishing I was there
relax and wait for the bridge to turn........................
de light,,,,,, go the other direction ( Beauforters understand)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2006, 12:22 PM

52 posts, read 170,565 times
I loved your message. I, too, am a Beaufort "wishing I was there person". Have you check other places nearby. If so, where?

I am also trying to relax and wait for the bridge to turn. But I am soooooooooooooo eager to move!!!

Old 04-03-2006, 09:17 PM

9 posts, read 81,716 times
Default Looked at a few places

In Calif, I could get 3-4 feet with the same location: . I had one house and sold it to buy another. I wanted a deep water dock and a house (note order) I have been up and down both coast, hugging only the coast line. Im Bi-Costal,If I aint by the coast,I aint,,, smelling the ocean. I think there are places to live inland. If you look at the nite sky via nite scan, you will note very few people live there. A tranplant Yankie, So.Carolina, So Calif. If the southern confort of Beaufort, S.C. does not get you the calories will.
Will be waiting for the swing bridge in a few days.**#@*
Dyslic waiting for the the bridge to turn.
son of a beach, have bait , will debait
A friend said "You lucked out getting here now, in a few years it will be like La Jolla Calif. I hope that will scare people off.
O yea looked at Hilton Head, for about 10 seconds may be 12 , took me that long to turn around. Lady's Island is *****en from the word go, and a few other islands, Port Royal has some nice places on landsend. It all depends on your price point, water, trees, golf.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:15 AM

6 posts, read 12,136 times
I am writing this as I feel I wish I had the same information BEFORE I moved to this town, which I highly regret doing. To those of you wanting more information about Beaufort, I will give you the rundown on this place.
If you are retired, like small towns with nothing going on, then you will actually like Beaufort SC....

To the rest of us....keep looking - this truly has to be one of the most boring dead places around. Forget about any activities, there are none. Cultural festivals - zilch. Nightlife - no way. It is boring. The schools here are awful. My daughter's teacher told her that Beaufort has one of the lowest ratings in the country as far as education - so if you are truly concerned about your kids education, this is not the place. This town is overrun by more police than you can believe - literally you cannot go down a street without your radar going off every 50 feet - its insane. You will see 5 cop cars pulling over one car with one person, very often. They will try to pull you over if you are going 5 miles over the speed limit! Its pathetic. For a town this size to have as many police roaming the streets its ridiculous!

Hardly any good options for food - no Indian restaurants, and what is here is nothing to speak of. If you are into great food, especially ethnic food your options are limited or non-existent.

Not impressed with the scenery - its marsh/swamps all over, and those creepy trees hanging all over the town.

If you are not from the south - trust me, this is not going to be someplace you want to reside. Everyone
hunts and fishes (that's their form of entertainment), and that goes for men, women, and kids. Think redneck, and you will get a better idea of the types that choose to reside here, confederate flags flying. You will see everyone have their palmetto tree and moon sticker on their cars - which is symbolic of the SC flag that was based on one of the first Revolutionary War flags.

I actually read an article that called this town some of the 'friendliest coastal people around' total b.s. - have not found the people any friendlier here than other places I have lived - and I have lived all over the USA, Europe and Asia....so can speak from experience.

The sad thing is, when we first moved here - people would ask us where in town we lived, and they use Walmart as their reference point, 'Do you live in front of walmart, back of walmart,' everything is in relation to Walmart! That right there should scare you enough. No, there is no Target in town, no decent grocery stores at all. Forget about Whole Foods or Trader Joes' or any healthy options. Non existent. You have to drive 90 minutes to go to Charleston to go to Whole Foods. You will be doing a lot of driving to Savannah GA or Charleston SC if you live in this town - or you will be bored out of your mind.

I also was told if you are looking for a dentist, to go elsewhere - the dentists here are not very experienced, and I was told to go back to where ever you lived last to see your former dentist.

Forget about choices when it comes to good internet/tv. There are only TWO companies that deal with internet, Century Link and Hargray - and both are crap. You will have endless issues and will pull your hair out with the amount of times you will have to call and have their guys in and out of your house more than you can imagine, never finding the issues - yet you will be paying up the ying yang for crappy service nevertheless.

I find the town still has that segregation mindset - which is extremely disturbing - but considering where I am, and everything else about this place, I am not surprised.

There are so many more things I could say that would paint the picture fully - but for those of you considering this place, do the research, because you don't want to fall victim to a place like I did for lack of information. And to those of you offended by what I wrote - I stand by what I said - you can be offended and think Beaufort is paradise, but you also are delusional or haven't experienced much in life to compare this place to, so start traveling and seeing places, then you will agree....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina