Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 02:02 PM

27 posts, read 40,115 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband may get a job offer for the Robinson Nuclear Plant near Hartsville. We're trying to decide if this area would be a good fit for us. On the map it looks like the middle of nowhere! I would love to get some suggestions on a good town to live in/near, ideally within a 30-40 minute commute.
My husband is in IT and I have a home-based business. We are in our 60's and relatively liberal. We're not really "country club" folks - no interest in golf or tennis, and we don't attend church. We have been involved in community organizations. We enjoy riding, dining out and seeing live music. I like to explore nature preserves, parks, etc.
Currently we live outside Atlanta on a small horse farm. It would be wonderful to be in a equestrian community, or an area with horse trails and a riding club.
I'm eager to get your input on everything about the area and suggestions for possible residence. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 10:00 AM

235 posts, read 528,616 times
I believe Florence is a good fit for you. I have friends who enjoy riding horses so I can get information for you on that. To you give you an idea of Florence in comparison to a Georgia city, Macon would be the closest resemblance. Florence just like most southern cities is more conservative but its as bad as some posters on here like to make it out to be. You like live music well Florence has this event call "Florence after Five'' where the last friday of the month, there are live concerts performed in Downtown Florence. For a city it size, Florence has a lot of options for restaurants and are having new restaurants opening up on a monthly basis almost. As far as a living, Effingham which is just south of Florence is a very rural area, but there are also similar areas between Hartsville and Florence. The Oates I believe would be a good fit for you. If you want anymore more questions answered, you can message me. Im originally from Florence but live in Charleston now for school/military.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:58 AM

252 posts, read 282,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico020 View Post
I believe Florence is a good fit for you. I have friends who enjoy riding horses so I can get information for you on that. To you give you an idea of Florence in comparison to a Georgia city, Macon would be the closest resemblance. Florence just like most southern cities is more conservative but its as bad as some posters on here like to make it out to be. You like live music well Florence has this event call "Florence after Five'' where the last friday of the month, there are live concerts performed in Downtown Florence. For a city it size, Florence has a lot of options for restaurants and are having new restaurants opening up on a monthly basis almost. As far as a living, Effingham which is just south of Florence is a very rural area, but there are also similar areas between Hartsville and Florence. The Oates I believe would be a good fit for you. If you want anymore more questions answered, you can message me. Im originally from Florence but live in Charleston now for school/military.
I made the Florence comparison to Macon on the Macon board awhile back and they didn't seem to agree with that. Macon has a more urban feel to it than Florence which has a farm vibe to it. Florence Mall is seen as safe, Macon's not so much. I think they claim Macon is a lot bigger but that is somewhat hard to believe. People in Macon seem to really hate aspects of Macon, and people in Florence aren't negative about the city.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:37 PM

Some of your points are true but Florence and Macon are definitely about the same size. Macon's MSA is a little bigger than Florence's MSA but Macon's MSA also is 5 counties compare to Florence's 2. Macon is very dependent on Robbins AFB just like Sumter is dependent on Shaw AFB while Florence economy is actually very diversified. One thing I dont like is the lack of use of Florence's Civic Center for sporting events (some of that has to do with the NCAA ban in SC because of the Confederate flag on State house grounds).

Old 07-11-2013, 12:45 PM

I thought that the NCAA had some games at the Bi Lo Center in Greenville a few years. Maybe that was the minor league basketball team that was there for awhile.

I am assuming the hockey team in Florence went away? I haven't heard anything about that in a long time. That was relaly popular when it first came there.

The civic center is where they had my high school graduation.

I saw you mention Effingham and that is where I trained as a small boy at Savannah Grove Elementary.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:56 PM

Yeah I actually grew up in Savannah Grove, I graduated from West Florence in 2008. Regionals and Super Regionals in baseball are allowed but planned tournaments like the March Madness tournament or any conference tournament isnt allowed. The ACC baseball tournament was suppose to be in Myrtle Beach in 2013/2014 but the NAACP complained and protested it highly and it was moved to Greensboro I believe. South Carolina is big on college sports since there's not a pro team in the state and the state is missing out on major revenue. I saw some figures that for one weekend of the NCAA basketball tournament can lead to about 50-100 million dollars going to the local economy and the Final Four weekend can generate up to twice that.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico020 View Post
Yeah I actually grew up in Savannah Grove, I graduated from West Florence in 2008. Regionals and Super Regionals in baseball are allowed but planned tournaments like the March Madness tournament or any conference tournament isnt allowed. The ACC baseball tournament was suppose to be in Myrtle Beach in 2013/2014 but the NAACP complained and protested it highly and it was moved to Greensboro I believe. South Carolina is big on college sports since there's not a pro team in the state and the state is missing out on major revenue. I saw some figures that for one weekend of the NCAA basketball tournament can lead to about 50-100 million dollars going to the local economy and the Final Four weekend can generate up to twice that.
Well I am conflicted on this because I love college bball and would love to see SC get some of those march madness games but at the same time I am not a big fan of NAACP because it's not really about advancement of black people anymore but advancement of people trying to exploit past racism for their personal profit. It is the training ground of future Jesse Jackson / Al Sharpton types.

I thought the confederate flag on the state grounds was decent compromise, it is part of our history and lot of people died in that effort.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:39 PM

730 posts, read 1,402,600 times
The Convocation Center in Aiken (USC-Aiken) hosted the NCAA Division 2 basketball southeast regional this year.

Last edited by Tiger17; 07-11-2013 at 11:50 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 12:11 PM

12 posts, read 32,933 times
Another vote for Florence. I also grew up in Florence. Right off Alligator rd.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
The Convocation Center in Aiken (USC-Aiken) hosted the NCAA Division 2 basketball southeast regional this year.
Oh really didn't know that but I know none of the major conferences won't have anything here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina