Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2013, 01:39 PM

737 posts, read 1,653,881 times

Advertisements

One cool thing about growing up in Columbia. We don't have much of an accent. Folks up here (Twin Cities) are surprised when I tell them I'm from SC. They say you don't have an accent, and I tell them to the contrary not everyone in SC has an accent. My mother who is from Spartanburg has a southern belle accent. My father who is from Walterboro doesn't have much of an accent at all. Of course I speak in generals and would gladly accept and challenge any opposing views.

Also unique about Columbia and the midlands, and what contributes to that northeast feel is that fact that so many people (at least African Americans) moved north during the Great Migrations, and are now moving back south. Both of my grandfathers lived up north (Pittsburgh, and NYC), as I'm sure many others have had relatives who lived or are currently living in NYC, Philly, and DC as well.

Last edited by sandlapper; 10-14-2013 at 01:55 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 11:16 PM

255 posts, read 610,196 times

The "Real" Housewives of Kingstree Episode 2 Lay My Religion Down! (Parody) - YouTube

Old 10-15-2013, 02:45 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,610 times
I've lived all over the state. And this was supposed to be a FUN thread about stereotypes, true or false. So, just from my experiences, here is what I've encountered people thinking or assuming:

Charleston/Myrtle/Hilton Head coastal areas:
By far the hottest, most abundant number of single women in the state
Military bases, hotels, bars, restaurants, beaches, tacky hotels
Heat, humidity, bugs
Grown men who think they are still 22 and in a fraternity
TRANSPLANTS...no one is from here originally
Charleston is very dense for a city that isn't a pro sports size town, maybe the millions of tourists that inflate the daily population vs the resident population
Expensive to live there, no real job opportunities outside of the service industry, government, military (again, just perceptions)
Roller coaster crime waves- from very violent to very peaceful
Historic, once religious Holy City....but with a dark, sinful underbelly

Columbia:
College town revolving around USC
Military bases
Lots and lot of government jobs
No mountains or ocean, but a lake
Lots of corporate jobs you wont find on the coast
HOT weather
Cops everywhere...not that its bad, probably because the state academy is there and you always see them around
More affordable than Charleston
Crime could be a problem at times

Greenville/Upstate:
Conservative, religious areas
More spread out, room to breathe a bit
Growing
High school football is huge
Lots more people are originally from the area, generations living in same place, family roots
History of textile, farming that went under over time
Lots of strip malls and chain restaurants

Just perceptions I've seemed to encounter myself and from others.

If you are 25 and single, Charleston is the place to be.
If you are 35 and married or looking to be, and/or with kids, go for Columbia or Greenville.
If you are 55 and looking for a great place to settle in, go upstate.

Again, just perceptions.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:59 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
One cool thing about growing up in Columbia. We don't have much of an accent. Folks up here (Twin Cities) are surprised when I tell them I'm from SC. They say you don't have an accent, and I tell them to the contrary not everyone in SC has an accent. My mother who is from Spartanburg has a southern belle accent. My father who is from Walterboro doesn't have much of an accent at all. Of course I speak in generals and would gladly accept and challenge any opposing views.

Also unique about Columbia and the midlands, and what contributes to that northeast feel is that fact that so many people (at least African Americans) moved north during the Great Migrations, and are now moving back south. Both of my grandfathers lived up north (Pittsburgh, and NYC), as I'm sure many others have had relatives who lived or are currently living in NYC, Philly, and DC as well.

being in SC now 5 years after living our 40+ yrs in WI, what we seemed to find for accents is those we've met who came to SC as transplants have little to none (well we do sneak in some y'all to fit in lol); those who's parents transplanted down but were born and raised here have some accent, and those who come from generations of SC families can have quite a strong accent; especially those raised in smaller towns.
On the flip side, some here think my wife talks like she's from MN/ND (and no she does not sound like Marge in Fargo)...

I actually have done a lot of biz up in the twin cities over the years and found a decent % of my contacts were transplants to MN from around the US so depending on where they came from it's possible your SC speech may sound normal to them and not out of place.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:59 AM

737 posts, read 1,653,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
being in SC now 5 years after living our 40+ yrs in WI, what we seemed to find for accents is those we've met who came to SC as transplants have little to none (well we do sneak in some y'all to fit in lol); those who's parents transplanted down but were born and raised here have some accent, and those who come from generations of SC families can have quite a strong accent; especially those raised in smaller towns.
On the flip side, some here think my wife talks like she's from MN/ND (and no she does not sound like Marge in Fargo)...

I actually have done a lot of biz up in the twin cities over the years and found a decent % of my contacts were transplants to MN from around the US so depending on where they came from it's possible your SC speech may sound normal to them and not out of place.
To your point I agree. Being that so few people from the Carolinas travel regularly to the Upper Midwest many would not know if someone was from ND, MN, WI, the Upper Peninsula (Yoopers), or IL. Before I moved to Minneapolis they all sounded very similar. I didn't know what a "Yooper" was. I've been here 4 years now and I have been able to pick up on the distinct differences between the MN and WI accent. Just curious where in "Sconnie" are you from?

Old 10-17-2013, 12:34 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,950,448 times
What are stereotypes of what people in the Upstate, Midlands, Lowcountry think of each other?-sc.jpg

Old 10-17-2013, 01:04 PM

12,891 posts, read 18,744,346 times
Someone needs to get out more.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 9,760 times
South and Southwestern

Old 11-12-2013, 05:14 AM

12,891 posts, read 18,744,346 times
According to one author, Columbia and Charleston are part of the Deep South while Greenville is a part of Greater Appalachia.

Forget The 50 States, U.S. Is Really 11 Nations, Says Author : NPR

Old 11-12-2013, 10:00 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,468,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
According to one author, Columbia and Charleston are part of the Deep South while Greenville is a part of Greater Appalachia.

Forget The 50 States, U.S. Is Really 11 Nations, Says Author : NPR
Greater Appalachia is characterized by opposition to the slave plantation economy but also distrust of the government. Sounds about right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina