Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 03:33 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,477,673 times

Advertisements

Wow, what pathetically low standards exist for what constitutes news! I honestly don't understand why this is such a big deal. Who effing cares?!?

If the White House wants to fly its own U.S. flag at half staff to honor a foreign dignitary, that's fine. But why is everyone else also expected to fly their U.S. flags at half staff? Why does it matter if everyone does it or not? And what exactly does it accomplish to fly all of these U.S. flags at half staff? Aside from the herd mentality going on, I don't get it.

Nelson Mandela did some very important and courageous things, he is respected and admired throughout the world for them, and he is dead now. Whether flags are flown at half staff or not does not change any of these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 12:46 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,084,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Wow, what pathetically low standards exist for what constitutes news! I honestly don't understand why this is such a big deal. Who effing cares?!?

If the White House wants to fly its own U.S. flag at half staff to honor a foreign dignitary, that's fine. But why is everyone else also expected to fly their U.S. flags at half staff? Why does it matter if everyone does it or not? And what exactly does it accomplish to fly all of these U.S. flags at half staff? Aside from the herd mentality going on, I don't get it.

Nelson Mandela did some very important and courageous things, he is respected and admired throughout the world for them, and he is dead now. Whether flags are flown at half staff or not does not change any of these things.
I typically respect your opinion, but on this one it sounds like you need a basic Civics class.

Check out page 10: United States Flag Code - U.S. Senate

Old 12-13-2013, 06:05 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,477,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I typically respect your opinion, but on this one it sounds like you need a basic Civics class.

Check out page 10: United States Flag Code - U.S. Senate
Thanks for posting this. My understanding is that the President's "order" to fly the flag at half staff is a guide only. This is stated on page 11 of the document:

"Again, the provisions of the Flag Code on flying the flag at half-staff are, like
all the Code’s provisions, a guide only"

What I don't understand is whether a government organization like a county sheriff's office can choose not to follow the President's "order" or not. If the above part on page 11 applies, then there should be no problem with what the Pickens County Sheriff did. However, if that only applies to individuals, then I can see why this is causing news.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:12 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,228,558 times
Quote:

If the White House wants to fly its own U.S. flag at half staff to honor a foreign dignitary, that's fine. But why is everyone else also expected to fly their U.S. flags at half staff? Why does it matter if everyone does it or not? And what exactly does it accomplish to fly all of these U.S. flags at half staff? Aside from the herd mentality going on, I don't get it.... Whether flags are flown at half staff or not does not change any of these things.
I agree. Is the sheriff called a racist because he didn't fly the flag when Thatcher, or other White or Asian or Mongrel people died either?

Now he gets labeled with the race card because a Black man died.

Get over these pathetic and imaginary race dramas people! The media loves to bait you.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:40 PM

61 posts, read 67,608 times
Obama/white house didn't fly the flag at half mast for Thatcher.

Mandela was arrested for sabotoge and he refused to denounce terrorism when he was in jail. They would have let him out of jail if he did, and they would give him a chance every year. Kind of a dumb guy, could have just renounced it and then continued on with when he got out. lol

Old 12-13-2013, 07:53 PM

278 posts, read 309,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Flag flies at full-staff despite presidential order - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Come on guys. REALLY? Pickens Co sheriff refuses to honor Nelson Mandela with half-staff flag? Isn't that the Greenville metro? Come on guys. Its freakin' Nelson Mandela!! If anyone deserves to be honored....just, really?
Mandela was great but its a flag. Who cares.

Last edited by HeyHowdy; 12-13-2013 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: In other news, I picked my nose today - lets discuss

Old 12-13-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting this. My understanding is that the President's "order" to fly the flag at half staff is a guide only. This is stated on page 11 of the document:

"Again, the provisions of the Flag Code on flying the flag at half-staff are, like
all the Code’s provisions, a guide only"

What I don't understand is whether a government organization like a county sheriff's office can choose not to follow the President's "order" or not. If the above part on page 11 applies, then there should be no problem with what the Pickens County Sheriff did. However, if that only applies to individuals, then I can see why this is causing news.
Technically there's "no problem" since it's not an enforceable order, but come on.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Pelton View Post
Obama/white house didn't fly the flag at half mast for Thatcher.

Mandela was arrested for sabotoge and he refused to denounce terrorism when he was in jail. They would have let him out of jail if he did, and they would give him a chance every year. Kind of a dumb guy, could have just renounced it and then continued on with when he got out. lol
I was about to give an actual intelligent reply but it seems that you're back so that's quite unnecessary. What kept you?

Old 12-13-2013, 11:46 PM

61 posts, read 67,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I was about to give an actual intelligent reply but it seems that you're back so that's quite unnecessary. What kept you?
you are anything but intelligent. another black power black person who went to a historically black college.

mandela is an interesting person but he wasn't the boy scout he is presented in the media. i would renounce terrorism to get out of prison and because it is the right thing to do.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:56 PM

2,217 posts, read 2,853,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I agree. Is the sheriff called a racist because he didn't fly the flag when Thatcher, or other White or Asian or Mongrel people died either?

Now he gets labeled with the race card because a Black man died.

Get over these pathetic and imaginary race dramas people! The media loves to bait you.
The President did not order the flags flown at half staff for Thatcher, or any "mongrel people" (?), and so, per the US Flag Code, they should not be flown at half staff.

The President did order the flags flown at half staff for Mandela, and so, per the US Flag Code, they should be flown at half staff.

The US Flag Code is not enforceable by law, but it's a good standard to follow especially if you're in law enforcement, and you should be able to articulate a compelling reason if you choose to violate it. His stated reason was nonsense, as there is plenty of precedent for Presidents ordering flags to half-staff for non-Americans. So we're left to ponder his real reason.

Last edited by gvsteve; 12-14-2013 at 12:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina