Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 05:24 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,549 times

Advertisements

Kickin' Nikki And The Unions » FITSNews

OOPS!!

Nikki Haley said she wears high heels "not for a fashion statement" but "because we're kicking them (unions) every day!"

Wow. How classy Mrs. Governor.

She goes on to say she doesn't want any company with union labor coming to SC (thought she liked jobs???). If they're that bad, wouldn't they go bankrupt anyway if they came?

She says she doesn't want to "taint the water" with union jobs here.

BUT, state law says she cannot deny or abridge anyone's work due to union membership.

So, by discouraging companies who would have unionized labor from coming here, she is technically denying the right of a SC worker to take a union job by using her power and platform as Governor to try to keep those jobs out.

I don't know. I bet the greater Charleston area would LOVE that unionized Volkswagon factory to come here instead of their failed attempt in Tennessee.

JOBS JOBS JOBS!!!! Right Mrs. Haley?

Well, sure. Just not union jobs. She'd rather you remain unemployed than be employed by a union job. In fact, she's working to ensure it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 08:40 PM

243 posts, read 283,049 times
Quote:
So, by discouraging companies who would have unionized labor from coming here, she is technically denying the right of a SC worker to take a union job by using her power and platform as Governor to try to keep those jobs out.
no she would be breaking the law if she flat kept a union outfit from relocating or opening up in SC, which I don't think she has the power to do. While discouraging them may break the spirit of the law it doesn't technically break the law.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:23 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
You can be grateful to Ms. Haley for constantly reminding the rest of the country what a backward state SC is. I, too, hope she's a one-term governor but the problem goes 'way beyond her.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:19 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
You can be grateful to Ms. Haley for constantly reminding the rest of the country what a backward state SC is. I, too, hope she's a one-term governor but the problem goes 'way beyond her.

Well that's certainly one way to look at it....

Old 03-06-2014, 07:59 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,549 times
Quote:
True. To be fair, the people of SC aren't anything like her. The metro areas of Greenville (downtown), Columbia, Charleston, are a lot of fun and have a lot of moderate thinking people in it.

But, the far right wing people of the rural areas and non-downtown-Greenville parts of the upstate run the politics here, and ruin the image of what otherwise is a pretty great place.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:44 AM

486 posts, read 997,024 times
Why do they have to go so far and be so anti worker? I know there are greedy corrupt unions out there but so many companies are just walking all over their employees as well just because they can. I would like to see more properly functioning unions back for the middle working class. Not the greedy ones. Just enough to keep the playing field more fair.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:58 AM

302 posts, read 368,896 times
Quote:
Wow ! How ignorant is this ' tricky Nickki ' ?

Some jobs MUST maintain union membership , no matter WHAT state or country ( U.S./ Canada / Mexico ) .

ALL CSX trains are UNION , as are the Stationary engineers and let's not forget show biz , which used SC for several movies .

Wonder if she told them she doesn't want them in her state ?

Old 03-06-2014, 12:21 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
True. To be fair, the people of SC aren't anything like her. The metro areas of Greenville (downtown), Columbia, Charleston, are a lot of fun and have a lot of moderate thinking people in it.

But, the far right wing people of the rural areas and non-downtown-Greenville parts of the upstate run the politics here, and ruin the image of what otherwise is a pretty great place.
The part about Greenville isn't true. Simpsonville, Mauldin, Greer, etc. are heavily transplanted. Too much left wing is just as bad as too much right wing also. Our governor before Haley(Sanford) has or had a plantation in Charleston and I don't know where Haley is from. So I don't know about that upstate politic comment.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:40 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyd View Post

You are not a moderate.
So true. I love when liberals act liberal and think it's "moderate". So far from the truth.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:36 AM

12,922 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Let's see Boeing's non-union workers living in the Charleston area save up enough money for a decent retirement on South Carolina wages with no pensions in their future.

Boeing to end pension plans for 68K employees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina