Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 11:10 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times

Advertisements

Tonight, Harrier made a low country boil from a recipe he found online.

He boiled some water in a pot, added Old Bay seasoning, and then threw in some red potatoes and kielbasa.

Those cooked for 10-15 minutes and then Harrier added corn on the cob and some shrimp, cooking for another 15-20 minutes.

Drained the water and put the solids in another pot - and served.

The recipe called for crab, but Harrier skipped that because he is on a budget.

Harrier has never been to South Carolina.

Harrier has family in North Carolina, and could easily get down to South Carolina when he visits, so he could try some authentic low country boil.

The final product seemed OK - did he do it right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 06:18 AM

135 posts, read 167,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Tonight, Harrier made a low country boil from a recipe he found online.

He boiled some water in a pot, added Old Bay seasoning, and then threw in some red potatoes and kielbasa.

Those cooked for 10-15 minutes and then Harrier added corn on the cob and some shrimp, cooking for another 15-20 minutes.

Drained the water and put the solids in another pot - and served.

The recipe called for crab, but Harrier skipped that because he is on a budget.

Harrier has never been to South Carolina.

Harrier has family in North Carolina, and could easily get down to South Carolina when he visits, so he could try some authentic low country boil.

The final product seemed OK - did he do it right?
Sort of. I generally go 10-5-5-less than two minutes wise for potatos, sausage, corn, shrimp. If you kicked the shrimp for 15 minutes, I can't believe they were edibile.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:21 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,859 times
Good stuff! There are as many different recipes for Lowcountry boil, AKA frogmore stew, as there are Lowcountry chefs. In place of crab, we add clams. IMO crab meat is too delicate for this type of recipe. The only "essential" ingredients I see missing are garlic and quartered onions. We also use add'l spices, andouille rather than kielbasa, and cook our corn a little longer, but it's all good and personal preference. If I can figure out how to do it, I'll DM you our recipe we got from a friend and native Lowcountry chef. A food for the Gods.

PS - As far as the shrimp, we cook for 5 minutes, then turn off the heat and let 'em suck in the flavor of the broth for about 10 more minutes. I agree that shrimp overcook quickly, but this method seems to work fine for us.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:35 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,207 times
Yep. I agree with the others on the shrimp. It's the last thing in the pot and usually only takes about 5 minutes. I wait until they start to float. Then they are done. I also cut up lemons and squeeze the juice into the water and throw the peel in before cooking. If I'm feeling really special, I'll get some live crawfish and throw them in with the shrimp. They make for a very nice presentation.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:31 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,549 times
I've been to some classics, where there are no plates. Yep. They boil up a huge serving, I mean HUGE, and just lay it all out on a paper clothe spread over a picnic table, and folks literally just hangout with beer and pick at it for hours while playing horseshoes or cornhole, and if lucky, on a cool fall day with the Gamecocks game on TV!!

Almost heaven.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:53 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
I've been to some classics, where there are no plates. Yep. They boil up a huge serving, I mean HUGE, and just lay it all out on a paper clothe spread over a picnic table, and folks literally just hangout with beer and pick at it for hours while playing horseshoes or cornhole, and if lucky, on a cool fall day with the Gamecocks game on TV!!

Almost heaven.
The recipe that Harrier uses suggested spreading everyone on a table covered with newspaper.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:22 AM

We have a table that we use specifically for oyster roasts and Beaufort Stew. It's just a long platform table with no legs. It has 2 holes cut in the center. You just use 2 rubbermade trash cans as legs and place them on top of the holes. Dump the food in the middle and use the holes for scraps like shrimp peels, corn cobs, oyster shells. Once you are done, just pull the liners out of the trash cans and dispose. Then, get the pressure washer out and spray the table down and hang it back in the garage.

Here is a pic of one I found online. Mine is a lot nicer but the concept is the same.

We get a lot of use out of it!

Old 06-18-2014, 05:26 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,859 times
SCDNR would luv to have those oyster shells. Shell replenishment is a major project and so badly needed. Oyster Shell Recycling

Old 06-18-2014, 06:52 PM

I live a hundred miles from the closest oyster recycling station. But I do have a friend with a long dirt driveway that gets potholes. He uses them to fill them in. His driveway is actually looking pretty good. 2 or 3 more roasts and hell have a complete crushed oyster driveway.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:53 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Harrier, you cooked the shrimp too long. Were they like leather?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina