Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 02:45 PM

235 posts, read 529,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Ayers View Post
I can't see Spartanburg getting much bigger, outside of bedroom community buildup on the westside / Duncan area.. In my opinion it has the most mill town vibe of all the main cities in SC. I don't have a problem with that but I can't see white collar type employers locating there, given Greenville is up the road.

Rock Hill will always be bedroom community for Charlotte.

I'd say Aiken, Florence, and Anderson have the best chance due to a lot of land along the interstate. I'd probably say Aiken out of those 3, due to being close to a larger metro but not one that is amazingly popular as Greenville is, plus it has a nicer downtown at this point than the other 2, although Anderson is coming along.

Sumter has no shot, way off interstate. Orangeburg has more potential than Sumter.

Isn't N. Charleston about to run out of free land? Not an attractive area in general. I can see Summerville getting bigger with some white collar type employers and a big mall of some sort.

I would say Florence is part of the Mrytle Beach metro. The local news in Florence includes MB. People living in Florence always in MB.
Florence is its on separate metro, Florence and Myrtle Beach share the same television viewing area. Also, a college in your town can be significant if the college and the city are intertwine with each other such as Greenville, NC and East Carolina University. I do agree that this is not the case in SC State and Orangeburg. I always thought Florence should took the mold that ECU/Greenville took. I do fill if a major company could come through and careful planning, Florence would be comparing itself more to cities like Savannah and Fayetteville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 07:15 AM

57 posts, read 76,640 times
Why do people think Florence is such a great place. I had a job for a short period of time where I had to travel to Florence often. I also spent my childhood driving through the city on the way to the beach. Everything I've seen about the city makes it seem like a big dump with lots of crime and scary characters roaming the city. I've always considered it in the SC triad cities of shame on the 95 corridor (Florence, Sumter, Orangeburg). I love SC and hope these places improve. I admit I haven't been through Florence in 5 years. Has it really changed all that much? I hope it has.

I would put Spartanburg on top of second tier cities due to diversified economy and improved downtown (I'm not counting strictly suburban cities in the system). Anderson and Aiken have potential and some decent schools but need some work and more growth, especially corporate. Coastal cities like MB and HH have very limited economies and are full of the rich retired or low paying seasonal jobs. Greenwood should make the list but is limited by no interstates in county. Sumter and especially Orangeburg are dumps and have little hope unfortunately.

Last edited by tigerhokie08; 03-04-2015 at 07:25 AM..

Old 03-04-2015, 07:37 AM

8,265 posts, read 13,410,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhokie08 View Post
Why do people think Florence is such a great place. I had a job for a short period of time where I had to travel to Florence often. I also spent my childhood driving through the city on the way to the beach. Everything I've seen about the city makes it seem like a big dump with lots of crime and scary characters roaming the city. I've always considered it in the SC triad cities of shame on the 95 corridor (Florence, Sumter, Orangeburg). I love SC and hope these places improve. I admit I haven't been through Florence in 5 years. Has it really changed all that much? I hope it has.

I would put Spartanburg on top of second tier cities due to diversified economy and improved downtown (I'm not counting strictly suburban cities in the system). Anderson and Aiken have potential and some decent schools but need some work and more growth, especially corporate. Coastal cities like MB and HH have very limited economies and are full of the rich retired or low paying seasonal jobs. Greenwood should make the list but is limited by no interstates in county. Sumter and especially Orangeburg are dumps and have little hope unfortunately.

Have you been downtown Florence recently? New FMU performing arts center, Little Theatre, and the Florence Hotel.. which is currently in the process of doubling its size by renovating existing buildings. FMU is also building a new medical school on the corner of W. Evans and S. Irby. Two new restaurants have opened downtown and a new bar is scheduled to open across from the Hotel Florence that will have apartments above it.

Hotel Florence - Ascend Hotel in Florence SC - Book Now!

I agree that the Triad that you mentioned has been challeged but Florence is certainly emerging head and shoulders above the others

Old 03-04-2015, 08:58 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,078,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhokie08 View Post

Sumter and Orangeburg are by no means dynamic, exciting places but they have their advantages and I wouldn't say they are dumps at all--obviously you've not been to places like Allendale or some other similarly-sized towns throughout the South to have said that.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:19 AM

2,169 posts, read 3,141,493 times
I wouldn't put Sumter and Florence in the same category as Orangeburg. While not dynamic metropolitan cities, Sumter and Florence are making headway with regard to preservation of historic areas, industry, jobs, shopping and restaurants. Orangeburg is headed in the opposite direction.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I wouldn't put Sumter and Florence in the same category as Orangeburg. While not dynamic metropolitan cities, Sumter and Florence are making headway with regard to preservation of historic areas, industry, jobs, shopping and restaurants. Orangeburg is headed in the opposite direction.
Eh, Orangeburg is just stuck right now...not going backwards, but not making progress either. Its in-state peers are along the lines of Walterboro, Gaffney, Georgetown, etc. A few hundred new manufacturing jobs could really make a difference in Orangeburg at this point.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:51 AM

8,265 posts, read 13,410,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico020 View Post
Florence is its on separate metro, Florence and Myrtle Beach share the same television viewing area. Also, a college in your town can be significant if the college and the city are intertwine with each other such as Greenville, NC and East Carolina University. I do agree that this is not the case in SC State and Orangeburg. I always thought Florence should took the mold that ECU/Greenville took. I do fill if a major company could come through and careful planning, Florence would be comparing itself more to cities like Savannah and Fayetteville.

Would LOVE for Florence to become more like Greenville NC. If FMU were intown.. I believe it would be well on its way. Despite the fact that it isnt.. Florence is still making progress. I would place it more in line with Fayetteville as opposed to Savannah which is in a class along with Charleston.

I think Greenwood is another up and coming 2nd Tier City...along with Mt. Pleasant though it is significantly larger but considered as a suburb of Charleston

Old 03-09-2015, 09:20 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,472,806 times
Everyones talking about about Florence, but the county has only grown 13,000 people in 14 years. While thats better than negative growth, its still less than 1,000 a year.

Greenwood County 3,000 in 14 years, and Sumter County 4,000. Orangeburg has lost a couple hundred people. I know county growth doesnt mean everything. Jobs, location, and other factors still matter, but 14 years is a long time. Florence definately is growing and its economy is healthy, but imo these places are arent on fire like some make them sound.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 03-09-2015 at 09:55 AM..

Old 03-09-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I would place it more in line with Fayetteville as opposed to Savannah which is in a class along with Charleston.
In terms of history, tourism, and their downtowns, Savannah and Charleston are in the same class but in terms of population and economically, Savannah is in a lower tier with a metro population and GDP about half of Charleston's. If the Beaufort-Hilton Head MSA were to combine with Savannah's that would change things but right now, that's where things stand.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:07 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,972,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Everyones talking about about Florence, but the county has only grown 13,000 people in 14 years. While thats better than negative growth, its still less than 1,000 a year.

Greenwood County 3,000 in 14 years, and Sumter County 4,000. Orangeburg has lost a couple hundred people. I know county growth doesnt mean everything. Jobs, location, and other factors still matter, but 14 years is a long time. Florence definately is growing and its economy is healthy, but imo these places are arent on fire like some make them sound.
To put this is perspective since 2000 Charleston county has grown nearly 70k, Berkeley county by 50k and Dorchester county by 40k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina