Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 01:56 PM

7 posts, read 17,024 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am 31yo Accountant looking to make a move to the east coast from Minnesota. I am new to these forums and have spent some time trying to take in some of the comments and suggestions made in regards to living in South Carolina. Overall, I got a mixed concensus about the attitude of the people and the fondness for all of the quaint areas all around the state. Not a stranger to the south, (former Floridian), I know how distinctly different northerners and southerners can be. All that aside, my real interest is finding out what it's really like to live there. Such as: job opportunities, cost of living, metro areas. Since I am nowhere near retirement, I must consider how I will be able to support myself and if the job climate is worth the move there. Not to mention, b/c it has been mentioned, whether racial differences is going to be an issue. I know we all like to think it isn't that bad, but one poster mentioned a Klu Klux Klan store? Anyway, I'd like to move to an area/state/city that would be just as happy to have me as I would to be there. I am very open-minded, personable, but happy to keep to myself, if someone with my chatty personality is considered annoying. I thought SC would be a nice fit for someone looking for a great home, great job, and potentially great friends. Your honest feedback is welcome.

Thanks,
Reg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 06:06 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
What parts of SC are you considering?

Old 01-08-2008, 11:55 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Reggie, while there are still some pockets of the things you fear, they are mostly just in a few small towns and rural areas, not in most cities. I'm a transplanted New Jerseyan and I love it in Columbia. You'll find lower salaries here, but a much lower cost of living, especially housing and property taxes. If you know of a few qualities that you would like in a home town, list them and we'll try to make some recommendations.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:43 AM

62 posts, read 278,601 times
I think you could find all the things you want here, but I would visit a lot before making a decision. It's strange, but sometimes having all the things you'd like still doesn't make a place feel like home.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:27 PM

7 posts, read 17,024 times
My options are wide open at this point. I will say that I am a city girl so I would like to work and live in a big metropolis area with surrounding suburbs. As long as the job market is good, then I don't think I'll have a hard time finding a decent place to live. Anywhere in the state of South Carolina is fine keeping in mind my preferences above.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:40 PM

I think the biggest metropolis would be Charleston. Columbia has a little of everything, but I would consider it to be a very small city. I don't know about Greenville.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:10 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplantct View Post
I think the biggest metropolis would be Charleston. Columbia has a little of everything, but I would consider it to be a very small city. I don't know about Greenville.
Actually, transplant, Columbia is quite a bit larger than Charleston. Columbia's city population is about 15% higher than Charleston and Columbia's metro population is about 16% larger. The 2006 Census Bureau estimates are 703,771 for Columbia's MSA and 603,178 for Charleston's MSA. Greenville's MSA was 601,986 in the 2006 Census estimate.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:29 PM

I would agree that Columbia is larger than Charleston, but I guess when I think of "metropolis" (and I might be incorrect), I'm thinking bigger downtown.

Columbia is a wide area. It has a small downtown and "happening" area like the Vista, some "intown" suburb living and shopping in the immediate outskirts, and the northeast area which is 10-15 minutes out and probably should be it's own town. And that is comprised mainly of strip malls and subdivisions.

When I think of Charleston I think more of what a city like Boston has to offer in terms of shopping, restaurants, and a more energetic atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina