Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2019, 01:26 PM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I reached out to a national chain restaurant on last week. I won't say the name, but I asked them about bringing one of their restaurant to Sumter. I contacted them through their website contact information. I wasn't looking for any real reply, because I have done this before, only to get no reply, or sorry, we have no plans to expand into Sumter at this time. However, I did got a reply back. The guy thanked me for my interest in having them bring a restaurant to Sumter. He said they are always looking for new areas to open new restaurants, and he will have their brokers to look at Sumter soon. I told them about the military in this community, and how their restaurants are popular among the military community. They will fit perfect here, and they have great food in my opinion. Nothing beats a failure but a try. I did this with Popeye's years before they came to Sumter, I got a reply saying no plans for a Sumter store at this time. I won't be holding my breath, but I would love to post the positive email exchange I had with this guy. Just trying to help out the city and the Chambers.

I wonder if the City/Chamber actually do what you just did and actively recruit new stores/businesses or simply wait until they are contacted? I am certain that they chase industrial leads like a rabid dog.. but I doubt they do restaurants/retail. From my understanding most that locate here are franchises and thus usually affiliated with an existing local restaurant ownership group or atleast one that is in SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 08:04 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I wonder if the City/Chamber actually do what you just did and actively recruit new stores/businesses or simply wait until they are contacted? I am certain that they chase industrial leads like a rabid dog.. but I doubt they do restaurants/retail. From my understanding most that locate here are franchises and thus usually affiliated with an existing local restaurant ownership group or atleast one that is in SC. :confused:
You are probably right about that, I believe the Sumter Wendy's have some connection with the Florence Wendy's. I just reached out to them, bring this area to their attention. All you can do is try, and if it goes nowhere, then can't miss what we never had anyway. The City and Chamber just have to do a better job highlighting this community, it's strong points. And one of Sumter's strong point is, that people in this town love to eat out. Everywhere is always packed on the weekend and many during the week as well. And lunch hour is crazy around here.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
You are probably right about that, I believe the Sumter Wendy's have some connection with the Florence Wendy's. I just reached out to them, bring this area to their attention. All you can do is try, and if it goes nowhere, then can't miss what we never had anyway. The City and Chamber just have to do a better job highlighting this community, it's strong points. And one of Sumter's strong point is, that people in this town love to eat out. Everywhere is always packed on the weekend and many during the week as well. And lunch hour is crazy around here.

I think you are taking the right approach and you may want to voice this concern to the Mayor and your City Council rep. I think having a city or chamber reach out to a businesses pays greater dividends than chasing industries around. "Yes" if you land an industry that could mean hundreds of jobs... but if you land several restaurants it could mean the same thing and not take as much effort. Sure, the pay may not be as high as a plant, but they still pay taxes both in sales and property.. while many industries get tax breaks and even incentives and thus don't pay off immediately from a tax base perspective.

Sumter just seems to be using an old playbook by chasing industrial plants in hopes to landing the next big industry. >I am not saying they should stop.. because Cooper is a huge deal.. They should simply up their retail/business recruitment and increase efforts to grow local home grown businesses. Many cities have business incubators that provide tech assistance, loans, and low cost space for emerging retail/businesses. The City could buy a failing strip mall or even a few vacant storefronts downtown and try the same type of operation targeting things like coffee roasters, small sandwich shop or tech businesses in an effort to boost that sector in town... There are plenty of other ideas out there than just chasing big industrial plants that could bring a different dynamic to town. I can only imagine that there are some retail/businesses that are not in Sumter, that would take a serious look at the city if the Mayor or President of the Chamber of Commerce personally reached out to them and invited them to town for a visit. I think many would take them up on it if anything just because they are curious on what the City has to offer since they are likely only contacted by brokers and realtors.

Last edited by Woodlands; 03-13-2019 at 08:34 AM..

Old 03-13-2019, 08:13 PM

[quote=Woodlands;54668350]I think you are taking the right approach and you may want to voice this concern to the Mayor and your City Council rep. I think having a city or chamber reach out to a businesses pays greater dividends than chasing industries around. "Yes" if you land an industry that could mean hundreds of jobs... but if you land several restaurants it could mean the same thing and not take as much effort. Sure, the pay may not be as high as a plant, but they still pay taxes both in sales and property.. while many industries get tax breaks and even incentives and thus don't pay off immediately from a tax base perspective.

Sumter just seems to be using an old playbook by chasing industrial plants in hopes to landing the next big industry. >I am not saying they should stop.. because Cooper is a huge deal.. They should simply up their retail/business recruitment and increase efforts to grow local home grown businesses. Many cities have business incubators that provide tech assistance, loans, and low cost space for emerging retail/businesses. The City could buy a failing strip mall or even a few vacant storefronts downtown and try the same type of operation targeting things like coffee roasters, small sandwich shop or tech businesses in an effort to boost that sector in town... There are plenty of other ideas out there than just chasing big industrial plants that could bring a different dynamic to town. I can only imagine that there are some retail/businesses that are not in Sumter, that would take a serious look at the city if the Mayor or President of the Chamber of Commerce personally reached out to them and invited them to town for a visit. I think many would take them up on it if anything just because they are curious on what the City has to offer since they are likely only contacted by brokers and realtors.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree. And there is still plenty space on Broad street, between Wilson Hall Rd and Carter Road for growth. This is a military town and military people love to eat out, especially the single people. And because of that, I don't believe Sumter have to meet all the criteria that some restaurants requires in order for it to be successful here. Sumter could prove to be an anomaly for various retail and eateries. Leadership here have to make it work though.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:52 AM

[quote=ipaper;54675083]
Quote:
I think you are taking the right approach and you may want to voice this concern to the Mayor and your City Council rep. I think having a city or chamber reach out to a businesses pays greater dividends than chasing industries around. "Yes" if you land an industry that could mean hundreds of jobs... but if you land several restaurants it could mean the same thing and not take as much effort. Sure, the pay may not be as high as a plant, but they still pay taxes both in sales and property.. while many industries get tax breaks and even incentives and thus don't pay off immediately from a tax base perspective.

Sumter just seems to be using an old playbook by chasing industrial plants in hopes to landing the next big industry. >I am not saying they should stop.. because Cooper is a huge deal.. They should simply up their retail/business recruitment and increase efforts to grow local home grown businesses. Many cities have business incubators that provide tech assistance, loans, and low cost space for emerging retail/businesses. The City could buy a failing strip mall or even a few vacant storefronts downtown and try the same type of operation targeting things like coffee roasters, small sandwich shop or tech businesses in an effort to boost that sector in town... There are plenty of other ideas out there than just chasing big industrial plants that could bring a different dynamic to town. I can only imagine that there are some retail/businesses that are not in Sumter, that would take a serious look at the city if the Mayor or President of the Chamber of Commerce personally reached out to them and invited them to town for a visit. I think many would take them up on it if anything just because they are curious on what the City has to offer since they are likely only contacted by brokers and realtors.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree. And there is still plenty space on Broad street, between Wilson Hall Rd and Carter Road for growth. This is a military town and military people love to eat out, especially the single people. And because of that, I don't believe Sumter have to meet all the criteria that some restaurants requires in order for it to be successful here. Sumter could prove to be an anomaly for various retail and eateries. Leadership here have to make it work though.

To add to that.. I would think that many retired military folks could be the target of some of the innovation that sumter needs. Many are well traveled and knowledgeable and may want to eventually settle down and start their own business. Being that they were in the military they certainly may be able to become fed contractors or even start a business that caters to military families....I know military folks are very transient.. but the city may want to encourage them to retire in Sumter and start a business and specifically target them and help them do it if they stay. Oftentimes being retired military means just that ...retired from the military and not a retiree in the traditional sense like heading for Florida types... .

Old 03-14-2019, 09:59 AM

Default Sumter Airport

Let me start of by saying.. I love CAE and wouldn't want to do anything that could damage some of the success that is currently occurring at the airport.

That said, I am curious on if a city the size of Sumter could support a small low cost airlines like Southern Airways.. This airline flies from cities that are a fraction of the size of Sumter and connects them with larger airports. I am no airport market or business analyst.. But,. on the surface.. If Franklin, Dubois, Bradford, and Johnstown PA can support an airline with airports of similar size..Why couldn't Sumter get a flight to say Raleigh or some mini hub that isn't served by CAE? It could certainly help with business/industrial recruitment and retention since I am sure SUM or STR (which is owned by the City) wouldn't charge them much get to have the service to the city...I am looking at fares.. $29 to $39 to fly to Sumter to Raleigh and then connect from there would likely get some takers..... LOL

https://iflysouthern.com/routes/

Old 03-14-2019, 10:52 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,276,373 times
Quote:
Let me start of by saying.. I love CAE and wouldn't want to do anything that could damage some of the success that is currently occurring at the airport.

That said, I am curious on if a city the size of Sumter could support a small low cost airlines like Southern Airways.. This airline flies from cities that are a fraction of the size of Sumter and connects them with larger airports. I am no airport market or business analyst.. But,. on the surface.. If Franklin, Dubois, Bradford, and Johnstown PA can support an airline with airports of similar size..Why couldn't Sumter get a flight to say Raleigh or some mini hub that isn't served by CAE? It could certainly help with business/industrial recruitment and retention since I am sure SUM or STR (which is owned by the City) wouldn't charge them much get to have the service to the city...I am looking at fares.. $29 to $39 to fly to Sumter to Raleigh and then connect from there would likely get some takers..... LOL

https://iflysouthern.com/routes/
Wow this is really neat, I’ve often thought of the concept but never heard of an airline like this. I’m going to look it up but I assume Sumter has a local airfield? I think it’d be highly doubtful they use Shaw, even though it’s in a great location and has long enough runways.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Wow this is really neat, I’ve often thought of the concept but never heard of an airline like this. I’m going to look it up but I assume Sumter has a local airfield? I think it’d be highly doubtful they use Shaw, even though it’s in a great location and has long enough runways.

Yes Sumter has an airport with a terminal and waiting room. It also has a lighted paved runway that is over 5k ft long. and fuel trucks. I thought that because it only had one runway running in one direction and no tower that that would eliminate it from commercial service.. but apparently the lighting and the length of the runway are the main items as planes at non busy airports don't necessarily need a tower and/or can use one from a nearby airport. I have been to Sumter Airport Terminal and its nice considering there is no commercial service. It is similar in size to the ones services by Southern Airways Express.

http://www.sumtercountyairport.com/

Old 03-14-2019, 03:56 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,276,373 times
Quote:
Yes Sumter has an airport with a terminal and waiting room. It also has a lighted paved runway that is over 5k ft long. and fuel trucks. I thought that because it only had one runway running in one direction and no tower that that would eliminate it from commercial service.. but apparently the lighting and the length of the runway are the main items as planes at non busy airports don't necessarily need a tower and/or can use one from a nearby airport. I have been to Sumter Airport Terminal and its nice considering there is no commercial service. It is similar in size to the ones services by Southern Airways Express.

http://www.sumtercountyairport.com/
Nice! Yeah it looks very well kept. 5,000 ft is plenty for any commute aircraft like the CRJ and Embraer (sp?) aircraft. Something like this would be worth an email to the mayor.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:51 PM

[quote=Woodlands;54678033]
Quote:

To add to that.. I would think that many retired military folks could be the target of some of the innovation that sumter needs. Many are well traveled and knowledgeable and may want to eventually settle down and start their own business. Being that they were in the military they certainly may be able to become fed contractors or even start a business that caters to military families....I know military folks are very transient.. but the city may want to encourage them to retire in Sumter and start a business and specifically target them and help them do it if they stay. Oftentimes being retired military means just that ...retired from the military and not a retiree in the traditional sense like heading for Florida types... .
Many do retire here in Sumter. I have many on my job that retired from Shaw after 20 or more years of service. They are from all over the country, from the west coast to the east coast, southeast, Midwest, and northeast. My work place loves to hire these people, and they love the cost of living here vs back in their home states, especially the California guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina