Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 11:53 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Lol, I'm sure you do know the difference and no problem there. But when you said that, it just reminded me of how common people call Washington street Broad street. There was a fire at the Speedway gas station at Broad and Church streets yesterday, much of that area was shut down until things got under control.
I hope the Sumter community pushes for a full streetscaping of Broad Street. It would do wonders for the image of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 01:36 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
I hope the Sumter community pushes for a full streetscaping of Broad Street. It would do wonders for the image of the city.
Getting rid of those wood electrical/light poles would be a great start. I was driving down Broad earlier today and it struck me how unsightly they really are. The just look really old and worn out, and out dated. Replacing them with metal poles or an upgrade of the wood poles would be a big improvement to start. That very small stretch of Broad between Carter road and Loring Mill road, actually looked pretty nice. Small trees were planted there some time ago and the trees made a big difference, plus the grass was cut and looked good also.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:06 PM

308 posts, read 468,238 times
Yeah alot of cities are replacing their wood poles in Florence they are putting up black composite and new led white lights, it looks much cleaner and brighter in the areas where they have changed over.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:50 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Incidentally.. what is the status of USC Sumter becoming a 4 year school or has it become one already and I just missed it? If it did/does.. I would love to see CCTC shift a sizable portion of their campus downtown and have their campus absorbed by USC-Sumter. CCTC could work with the City to acquire and infill the blocks between Main and Harvin along Bartlette and both sides of Oakland Street. Multi story building and a parking garage (adjacent to the tracks south of Oakland would provide a solid anchor for the downtown area and complement the Health Sciences Center already down on that end.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:58 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
USC-S will likely never become a full fledged 4 year university. It's just not the mission of the university system. However it does now offer many four year degrees available through the Palmetto College. You can get a 4 year degree in Nursing, Criminal Justice and Education without ever leaving the USC-S campus.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:15 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
USC-S will likely never become a full fledged 4 year university. It's just not the mission of the university system. However it does now offer many four year degrees available through the Palmetto College. You can get a 4 year degree in Nursing, Criminal Justice and Education without ever leaving the USC-S campus.

Is there any demand for housing at/around USC-Sumter? I am just looking at the recent housing boom in Columbia surrounding student housing.. Sumter may not be that kind of town... but seems like the apartment boom in Columbia was fueled by, among other things, an 'tax incentive/abatement' offered by the City. I have no idea if such an incentive would be lucrative in Sumter and yield any tangible benefits...but it would be interesting to see....

Old 07-27-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Incidentally.. what is the status of USC Sumter becoming a 4 year school or has it become one already and I just missed it? If it did/does.. I would love to see CCTC shift a sizable portion of their campus downtown and have their campus absorbed by USC-Sumter. CCTC could work with the City to acquire and infill the blocks between Main and Harvin along Bartlette and both sides of Oakland Street. Multi story building and a parking garage (adjacent to the tracks south of Oakland would provide a solid anchor for the downtown area and complement the Health Sciences Center already down on that end.
Sounds like a good idea, but at the moment, they seem incline to just spread out over the city. You have the main campus, downtown, and now the Broad street building. The Broad street building and the landscaping really look nice, and did wonders for the corner there.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Is there any demand for housing at/around USC-Sumter? I am just looking at the recent housing boom in Columbia surrounding student housing.. Sumter may not be that kind of town... but seems like the apartment boom in Columbia was fueled by, among other things, an 'tax incentive/abatement' offered by the City. I have no idea if such an incentive would be lucrative in Sumter and yield any tangible benefits...but it would be interesting to see....
I think there are enough available housing in Sumter to accommodate any small number of student wishing to stay in town. There is a huge apartment complex that's pretty new on Lewis road, I don't believe that is at full capacity yet.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:08 PM

35 posts, read 27,515 times
Speaking of Main St. not only is there a need for some development on North Main but in the direction of South Main as well. Particularly between McDuffies Furniture Co. and the bridge (East Oakland). So many available buildings and land but it's such a vacant area with the exception of CCTC and Serendipity.

The old factory that stands next to the Britton bridge (Manning Ave. bridge) I believe serves as such wasted potential for the city. It could be repurposed in a number of ways instead of being a boarded up eyesore.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:17 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,916 times
Quote:
Different type of student, different type of city, different type of lifestyle. Downtown Columbia is becoming a real mini-city with the density and walkability that come with that. I don't see that in Sumter's future, perhaps ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina