Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do the *majority* of those who stand with the Confederate flag, do so out of agnst towards certain e
Yes. The majority of those who support the Flag, do so out of angst towards certain ethnic groups. 45 46.39%
No. The majority of those who identify with the confederate flag, do so for reasons outside of race. 52 53.61%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 01:27 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,964,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1200xl View Post
Ironically, you cry how evil the kkk is (bunch of whiney guys using anything to stay relevant if you ask me...) but last I checked they did not cause any violence. It was a bunch of thugs jumping people carrying a flag. Throwing objects at middle aged wome and breaking their nose. That is what the media won't show this, but you and every other sheep is terrified of someone flying a battle flag.

You know what? After the videos I saw yesterday I'm terrified by every god damn pan African flag.
The pan African flag isn't flying on US government property. And I don't condone the black panthers either and I'm black....they are idiots and the KKK are idiots. Happy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 01:40 PM

16,299 posts, read 10,444,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1200xl View Post
Ironically, you cry how evil the kkk is (bunch of whiney guys using anything to stay relevant if you ask me...) but last I checked they did not cause any violence. It was a bunch of thugs jumping people carrying a flag. Throwing objects at middle aged wome and breaking their nose. That is what the media won't show this, but you and every other sheep is terrified of someone flying a battle flag.

You know what? After the videos I saw yesterday I'm terrified by every god damn pan African flag.
Wow. Just.....wow.

You just defended the Klan. Probably don't realize but it's exactly what you did.

Wow.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:06 PM

3,593 posts, read 4,363,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Wow. Just.....wow.

You just defended the Klan. Probably don't realize but it's exactly what you did.

Wow.
Are you suggesting that he agrees with the Klan's views or supports them in some way because he pointed out a factual statement that the Klan wasn't the ones being violent?

He wasn't defending the Klan. He was defending a citizen's right to peacefully express their views in a public setting.

I don't support the Klan in any form, but I don't support them being beaten for expressing their views, as twisted as they might be. I abhor Westboro and how they have twisted Christianity. I've stood in human barricade lines to keep them from fallen soldier's family's sight. But, I will defend their ability to express their views. Either you're for free speech and all it's ugliness or you're not for free speech. As Southpark's Trey and Matt commented on the subject, either it's all OK, or none of it's OK.

But IMO you cross the line when you move from expressing your views to physical confrontation.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:16 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,436,467 times
I am white.

When I see a confederate flag, all I can think of is the movie A Time To Kill when the white trash rednecks left a little black girl for dead after raping her and beating her.

When I see a confederate flag, it is usually flying from the back of an old pickup truck being driven by an old hillbilly.

I'd wager that most of these people coming out of the woodwork like cockroaches don't know their backgrounds and their family never even served in the Civil War. They are only jumping on the bandwagon because they are closet racists.

I have no problem with people flying the flag at their homes, as usually that is the home of a confederate soldier, and they are respectful about their lineage.

But the assclowns that fly it from their vehicles are the ones who flaunt it in the faces of blacks, and they are the scum of the earth.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:10 PM

37,901 posts, read 42,041,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Are you suggesting that he agrees with the Klan's views or supports them in some way because he pointed out a factual statement that the Klan wasn't the ones being violent?

He wasn't defending the Klan. He was defending a citizen's right to peacefully express their views in a public setting.

I don't support the Klan in any form, but I don't support them being beaten for expressing their views, as twisted as they might be. I abhor Westboro and how they have twisted Christianity. I've stood in human barricade lines to keep them from fallen soldier's family's sight. But, I will defend their ability to express their views. Either you're for free speech and all it's ugliness or you're not for free speech. As Southpark's Trey and Matt commented on the subject, either it's all OK, or none of it's OK.

But IMO you cross the line when you move from expressing your views to physical confrontation.
For all of the violence that's been perpetrated against Black people by the Klan under that flag over the course of the better part of a century, what happened Saturday amounts to nil. This stuff isn't happening in a vacuum.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
For all of the violence that's been perpetrated against Black people by the Klan under that flag over the course of the better part of a century, what happened Saturday amounts to nil. This stuff isn't happening in a vacuum.
It wasn't ok then, it's not ok now. Don't make excuses.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:44 PM

12,943 posts, read 18,802,100 times
Supporters of the Confederate flag need a new hobby. Let's move on.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
It wasn't ok then, it's not ok now. Don't make excuses.
Give me a f%$&# break. Rhetoric is one thing, but taunts and threats is quite another and the Klan engaged in such the entire time. Sorry, but we're not going to be sitting ducks every time and then be applauded for immediately forgiving those who murdered our loved ones in cold blood. We're not the docile Negroes anymore who can be kept in check with the crack of a whip; sorry if you have a problem with that. Take that break, I'm not sorry at all.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Give me a f%$&# break. Rhetoric is one thing, but taunts and threats is quite another and the Klan engaged in such the entire time. Sorry, but we're not going to be sitting ducks every time and then be applauded for immediately forgiving those who murdered our loved ones in cold blood. We're not the docile Negroes anymore who can be kept in check with the crack of a whip; sorry if you have a problem with that. Take that break, I'm not sorry at all.
Then that makes you no better than them. The slavery imagery is a bit over played. Don't stoop to their level. Be beteer. You are better.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Then that makes you no better than them. The slavery imagery is a bit over played. Don't stoop to their level. Be beteer. You are better.
You're absolutely right that "the slavery imagery is a bit overplayed," and that's why we're here. South Carolina raised the Confederate battle flag--which is a symbol of the war over the right of Southern states to maintain the institution of slavery--a full century after the beginning of the war and it remained there for over half a century. Overplayed indeed...unfortunately the South still hasn't come to grips with the fact that it lost that war and lost its slaves.

"Don't stoop to their level"? This isn't about trading insults or one-upping someone for a promotion we're talking about here. This is a matter of security and safety, and if you don't understand that, I'd suggest cracking open a history book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina