Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 06:46 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times

Advertisements

Lidl will provide competition for Aldi in the limited assortment/discount grocery segment. Aldi is active opening additional stores and expanding and updating existing stores.

I hope the next grocery store coming to Florence will be supermarket Publix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 06:32 PM

152 posts, read 351,736 times
What is the status of Bi-Lo in Florence and elsewhere? There was a rumor way back that that the Pamplico Hwy store would close. In fact someone told me a year ago it had already closed, until I later found out it was still open (not before I told a few others the "news" of the closing, making me look like an idiot in the process).

Old 01-12-2017, 08:27 PM

BI-LO stores 5550, Independence Center, 500 Pamplico Highway, Florence, South Carolina 29505-6012, and 5593, 2640 West Palmetto Street, Florence, South Carolina 29501-5928, are open.

BI-LO #5550 has taken initial steps toward closing with the closure of service departments including pharmacy and some discontinuation of guest services. Hypermarket Walmart Supercenter #2703, Southside Commons, 2014 South Irby Street, Florence, South Carolina 29505-3420, is nearby in the trade area. I do not see BI-LO #5550 remaining open.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:51 AM

469 posts, read 761,939 times
The Bi-Lo on West Palmetto St. is closing according to signs in the parking lot. It is the older/smaller of the two in town. I do not know if it will re-open later as Harvey's.

ALDI opened a store nearby last year and Lidl has purchased land a few blocks away.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:56 PM

If I were Southeastern Grocers, I would close both BI-LO stores in Florence. Both stores have not been performing well. BI-LO #5550, Independence Center, 500 Pamplico Highway, Florence, South Carolina 29505-6012, has a head start toward closing.

If I were supermarket Publix, I would be active scouting sites for one or two stores.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:41 PM

152 posts, read 351,736 times
I think the 2 year old Walmart neighborhood market took a lot of residential customers from the Cashua/Third Loop area that once shopped at Bi-Lo. The plans for Lidl opening just up the street may have played a role in the closure as well. It would be great for a Publix to open at that location, but Florence getting a Publix speculation has been going on for 15 years. Nonetheless, Florence does need a higher end grocery store. Currently Harris Teeter is the closest, but even their lone Five Points store is over 30 years old, although it has been renovated. Unfortunately, Florence's size and demographic makeup likely preclude a Whole Foods or Trader Joes from even considering this area.

Currently, Florence's supermarket situation is as follows:

Higher end (but not high end):
Harris Teeter- 1 location as described above

Mid-level market:
Piggly Wiggly at Florence Mall-30 years old (built in the former JC Penney mall site), but a great location.
IGA- 2 locations on Ebenezer Rd and Pamplico Hwy. Both are relatively new.
Bi-Lo on Pamplico Hwy- 15 years old, with it's future uncertain. As mentioned by SCGamecock above, the 25 year old W Palmetto store will close.

Low-mid level or economy market:
Aldi- locations on Irby St (8 years old and recently expanded) and a new store off McLeod Blvd. Clean but no frills.
Food Lion- 5 locations. The Second Loop store must be 35 years old (though "modernized" since 2010) and the best of the bunch, the W Palmetto store is 15 years old, and the S Irby store is 20 years old. The E Palmetto store is 20+ years old and generic...certainly downscale. The N Cashua store is referred to by some as "ghetto". It too is 20 years old and run-down. There's a reason Food Lion has an image problem....it's stores are old and stale.

Low-level
Piggly Wiggly on Cherokee- A store in a league of it's own. Its 50+ years old and hasn't appeared to have been modernized in at least 40. Its dirty, run-down and ghetto in every sense of the word. Not as bad a shopping experience as Charleston's infamous N Market Piggly Wiggly they tore down 5+ years ago, but close. It amazes me this store still stands.

Of course Wal-Mart itself has 2 superstores with grocery sections, plus a Sams Club, as well as Target. There are also some specialized markets, incl an Asian market on Second Loop and a new downtown staples market.

As far as locations, the only 2 stores on the entire north and east sides (north of Evans/east of Irby) are the Food Lion locations, and even they are on the perimeters. No group of businesses pays as close attention to location demographics as low margin grocery stores (and Starbucks).

Old 05-13-2017, 06:02 AM

311 posts, read 470,848 times
I would say, Florence needs atleast 1 new Grocery store on the far West Side out past Ebenezer off Hoffmeyer and one on the far East side (unincorporated Florence County) going out past the airport which would serve Country Club, FMU, Mars Bluff and Beach traffic.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayRider View Post
I think the 2 year old Walmart neighborhood market took a lot of residential customers from the Cashua/Third Loop area that once shopped at Bi-Lo. The plans for Lidl opening just up the street may have played a role in the closure as well. It would be great for a Publix to open at that location, but Florence getting a Publix speculation has been going on for 15 years. Nonetheless, Florence does need a higher end grocery store. Currently Harris Teeter is the closest, but even their lone Five Points store is over 30 years old, although it has been renovated. Unfortunately, Florence's size and demographic makeup likely preclude a Whole Foods or Trader Joes from even considering this area.

Currently, Florence's supermarket situation is as follows:

Higher end (but not high end):
Harris Teeter- 1 location as described above

Mid-level market:
Piggly Wiggly at Florence Mall-30 years old (built in the former JC Penney mall site), but a great location.
IGA- 2 locations on Ebenezer Rd and Pamplico Hwy. Both are relatively new.
Bi-Lo on Pamplico Hwy- 15 years old, with it's future uncertain. As mentioned by SCGamecock above, the 25 year old W Palmetto store will close.

Low-mid level or economy market:
Aldi- locations on Irby St (8 years old and recently expanded) and a new store off McLeod Blvd. Clean but no frills.
Food Lion- 5 locations. The Second Loop store must be 35 years old (though "modernized" since 2010) and the best of the bunch, the W Palmetto store is 15 years old, and the S Irby store is 20 years old. The E Palmetto store is 20+ years old and generic...certainly downscale. The N Cashua store is referred to by some as "ghetto". It too is 20 years old and run-down. There's a reason Food Lion has an image problem....it's stores are old and stale.

Low-level
Piggly Wiggly on Cherokee- A store in a league of it's own. Its 50+ years old and hasn't appeared to have been modernized in at least 40. Its dirty, run-down and ghetto in every sense of the word. Not as bad a shopping experience as Charleston's infamous N Market Piggly Wiggly they tore down 5+ years ago, but close. It amazes me this store still stands.

Of course Wal-Mart itself has 2 superstores with grocery sections, plus a Sams Club, as well as Target. There are also some specialized markets, incl an Asian market on Second Loop and a new downtown staples market.

As far as locations, the only 2 stores on the entire north and east sides (north of Evans/east of Irby) are the Food Lion locations, and even they are on the perimeters. No group of businesses pays as close attention to location demographics as low margin grocery stores (and Starbucks).
Aldi and Lidl are limited assortment/discount grocers, not supermarkets. They feast on struggling supermarkets with higher prices.

Food Lion is a disaster. Its stores have issues with higher prices, lack of necessities and amenities, service, and image. Ahold Delhaize needs to bring the brand on par with Giant Food, Giant/Martin's, Hannaford, and Stop & Shop.

Publix has opened stores in Georgetown and Horry counties. It should have Florence County on its radar.

BI-LO has ran its course across northeastern South Carolina. Its exit from Darlington, Florence, Horry, Marion, and Williamsburg counties should not be a surprise.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinachaos View Post
I would say, Florence needs atleast 1 new Grocery store on the far West Side out past Ebenezer off Hoffmeyer and one on the far East side (unincorporated Florence County) going out past the airport which would serve Country Club, FMU, Mars Bluff and Beach traffic.
The trade area could be prime for a Publix supermarket.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:42 AM

Default BI-LO #5593, 2640 West Palmetto Street, Florence, South Carolina 29501-5928

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
The Bi-Lo on West Palmetto St. is closing according to signs in the parking lot. It is the older/smaller of the two in town. I do not know if it will re-open later as Harvey's.

ALDI opened a store nearby last year and Lidl has purchased land a few blocks away.
BI-LO #5593 is closing in June.

Further reading
Imbimbo, Jessica. "Bi-Lo closing store on West Palmetto Street in Florence." Florence, South Carolina: Florence News. 16 May 2017.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina