Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 12:34 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times

Advertisements

I'm pushing 40 and grew up in SC and went to college here. i don't know anybody here currently that is a Dallas fan, and i've lived all over the state and worked at several large companies. I know many people who did not like Dallas back in the 90s in my hometown and rooted for them to lose. i doubt it is like that now, because they haven't been good enough to hate.

I did back up my statement, when I cited that poll. You never backed up your claim though. the main thing that I was asserting is that Dallas and Pitt are not more popular than the Panthers in SC, which was asserted by two people. i gave several specific reasons for this.

Dallas could have a ton of fans in SC, but even more anti-fans. i doubt Carolina has many anti-fans in SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 12:44 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I did back up my statement, when I cited that poll. You never backed up your claim though. the main thing that I was asserting is that Dallas and Pitt are not more popular than the Panthers in SC, which was asserted by two people. i gave several specific reasons for this.
You need to get your selective hearing (reading) checked. No one said this. It should be blatantly obvious that no one is more popular in SC than the Panthers. YET, Dallas and Pittsburg have strong fanbases here as well and even own a larger share of some SC counties.

I already gave you proof here and you ignored it. If you zoom into SC, you can clearly see the I-95 and I-20 corridors (sans Columbia) has more Pittsburg yellow and Dallas blue than Carolina blue. I've already explained why: the Panthers are young. People were Dallas, Washington, and Pittsburg fans before them.

Why not Atlanta? Because Atlanta wasn't winning. If youre going to root for a team that's hundreds of miles away from you, you are going to root for a winner.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:45 PM

Ok, none of this refutes my main premise, in response to you, that SC does have a pro football team. You originally said it is odd that a state with SC's sizable population and/or projected population does not have a pro team. I was responding to that. the panthers don't survive without the SC fanbase.

i've pointed out that most apparel in SC's stores is Panthers, that radio stations broadcast Panthers and not other NFL teams, and CU and USC football forums have a lot of chatter about the Panthers and not other teams. so that is a disconnect from what you are saying.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:50 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Ok, none of this refutes my main premise, in response to you, that SC does have a pro football team. You originally said it is odd that a state with SC's sizable population and/or projected population does not have a pro team. I was responding to that. the panthers don't survive without the SC fanbase.
I never said anything was "odd." I understand quite clearly why SC does not have a team. ATL and CLT are too close, and none of SC's cities are big enough to support one. Again, we are the 2nd largest state without one that we can claim as in our state.

And again...it was just a simple nod to our growth. Thank you for turning something so mundane into a 6 page debate.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:59 PM

ok, why make a comment in the first place if you think it is mundane.

CLT isn't big enough to support a NFL team by itself. that's my point. The panthers need SC fans or it goes away. plus, York County is part of the Charlotte metro, and one of the most populated counties in SC. there isn't a wall between NC and SC. NC, the 9th most populated state, would not have a NFL team if that team did not also have SC fans.

anyway, moving on. have a good weekend.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 10-21-2016 at 01:08 PM..

Old 10-21-2016, 01:50 PM

401 posts, read 379,338 times
I've was trying real hard not to chime in on this Panthers debate, but I just can't anymore. There are a lot of people like myself who Falcons fans. I grew up with the Falcons and other Atlanta teams being what was on TV here. I don't like the fact that less Falcons games are on here now because of the Panthers. The Panthers are and will always be a North Carolina pro sports franchise.

Okay that was my contribution to keeping this thread completely off topic.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:11 PM

235 posts, read 528,370 times
Yeah, this thread is really off topic. I believe Florence will definitely exceed those projections. If anything, probably will benefit off the growth of Myrtle Beach. Florence won't see the growth the other majors are experiencing unless they can get a major company to set up shop in the area.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge71 View Post
The Panthers are and will always be a North Carolina pro sports franchise..

it isn't off topic because the OP specifically made a point about the state not have a pro team. I'm discussing something he mentioned in the original post. the population projections are wild guesses.

the owner of the Panthers doesn't agree with you, and they have their training camp in Spartanburg with thousands of SC fans coming out for practices. the Panthers go away without the support of fans in SC. It is the Carolina Panthers, not the Charlotte Panthers, not the North Carolina Panthers. The Panthers had a One Carolina marketing campaign last year. Here's the logo for that, they show the outline of the both Carolinas with no line between them. http://www.brandsalsa.com/wp-content...20-300x169.jpg

The Panthers played their first season at CU and they picked up a lot of CU fans as a result just from that. If their goal was to be a NC pro team, then they could have played at UNC, NC State, East Carolina. UNC did not have a good showing at the ACC title game last year in Charlotte so it is difficult to believe Raleigh metro is one of the stronger areas of fan support for the Panthers. Basketball seems to be a lot more popular up there and for good reason.

I've acknowledged the Falcons serve as a state pro team as well for many.

The New York Giants stadium is in NJ, does that make it an exclusive NJ team?

Last edited by ClemVegas; 10-21-2016 at 05:40 PM..

Old 10-21-2016, 05:53 PM

ok, you are completely missing my point that most people in both SC and NC will understand.

fanbases don't always follow state lines. they are regional, they are basically a radius around the location of the team. there is no demand for a pro team in SC because of the proxmity of Charlotte and ATL. it makes no sense to say it is exclusively NC team if much of its fanbase is in SC.

The New Yoork Giants stadium is physicially in NJ but they go by New York Giants.

NFL isn't as popular in the south as up north, because college football is much more competitive down here. for people living i the north, the NFL is basically the equivalent of college football in the south. so teams in the south have to draw on a larger region to stay profitable. That's why the Panthers market the team as the team for both Carolinas.

how is blowing it out proportion to express an opinion about another person's opinion? You expressed an opinion as well. people share different opinions on opinion forums like this. it isn't personal, I simply disagree with him.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:55 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,846,204 times
Quote:
ok, you are completely missing my point that most people in both SC and NC will understand.

fanbases don't always follow state lines. they are regional, they are basically a radius around the location of the team. there is no demand for a pro team in SC because of the proxmity of Charlotte and ATL.
We aren't talking about fan base. No where in his original post that started this argument did he mean fan base. Any smart person that would've read his comment would've understood it as he means South Carolina does not have its own pro sports team based within state lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina