Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 01:17 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger1995 View Post
when were you in Charlotte? 1990?
fall of 2004, i worked for Framatome which was absorbed by AREVA. i think i've mentioned this to you in the past. Worked in the tall building across Tryon from The Green. I believe Duke Energy still has some space in that building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 01:22 PM

159 posts, read 125,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i think a metro with mulitple malls and duplicated big box stores like Charlotte def. has more sprawl than a metro with one large mall and centralized shopping area.
Charlotte has over 1MM people living in a county smaller than Greenville county. Charlotte has 25MM sq feet of office space downtown......a living downtown population approaching 30,000 (1/2 of Greenville lives in Center City Charlotte not counting Southend, Elizabeth or Midtown) a day time population exceeding 200,000 (or almost 1/2 of Greenville county). Charlotte is large enough to warrant many shopping areas with a metro exceeding 2.5MM. Greenville is not large enough to support anything other than a second tier mall like Haywood.

Greenville is a town of 60,000 surrounded by a sea of parking lots and connected to other small cities by an interstate. By its nature, metro Greenville sprawls, there is no large employment center in the metro, it just goes on and on and on.

Even by SC standards, the city of Greenville is small (Charleston and Columbia are much larger), it is a nice town.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
i think a metro with mulitple malls and duplicated big box stores like Charlotte def. has more sprawl than a metro with one large mall and centralized shopping area. there is a walmart like every half mile down Independence in Charlotte.

Laurens Road is the motor mile and every metro has a motor mile with car dealerships. It is not a road most people who live in metro have to use that much. I-385 parallels it.

Haywood traffic is not an issue outside of afternoon rush around the mall and 385. Woodruff isn't too bad outside of rush and peak shopping times on Saturday.

29 doesn't have trailer parks that I know of, it dos have a lot of mobile home and shed dealers. i agree that Greer and Easley are not for pretentious people.
Greer and Easley are dumps.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:25 PM

Haywood Mall is largest in the state or basicailly tied with largest with the one in Mrytle Beach. has an Apple Store, Cheesecake Factory and other stores you don't see everywhere.

Charlotte is defintely much larger suburban area than Greenville and has a lot of duplication of stores which is the definition of sprawl.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
fall of 2004, i worked for Framatome which was absorbed by AREVA. i think i've mentioned this to you in the past. Worked in the tall building across Tryon from The Green. I believe Duke Energy still has some space in that building.
2004??????? Dude, a ton has changed in Charlotte since 2014 much less 2004. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Greer and Easley are dumps.
ok but those aren't the nicer suburban areas which is why you focus on them. your goal is negative propaganda

Old 12-03-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
2004??????? Dude, a ton has changed in Charlotte since 2014 much less 2004. You have no idea what you are talking about.
all i've posted regarding Charlotte is an opinion about a small park that I looked at pictures of. That park wasn't there when I was , neither was the baseball stadium. But it is obviously a small greenspace.

i'm not beating up on the park, it is fine for what it is. my point is you are always beating up on Falls Park and downtown Gville parks but you are hyping up this small plaza type park in Charlotte. i think this demonstrates you do propaganda on here. an objective person would say downtown Gville and metro Greenville has nice parks.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Haywood Mall is largest in the state or basicailly tied with largest with the one in Mrytle Beach. has an Apple Store, Cheesecake Factory and other stores you don't see everywhere.

Charlotte is defintely much larger suburban area than Greenville and has a lot of duplication of stores which is the definition of sprawl.
I don't care if Haywood is the largest, it is still a second tier mall. Cheesecake Factory is a large Applebees............

But, Cheesecake Factory fits with Greenville.

Duplication of stores = sprawl?????????????????

London, Paris, San Francisco........they all have many stores in different areas of town, not sure I would call them the definition of sprawl.

Greenville has a thousand Wal Marts, by your definition, Greenville is sprawling everywhere.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:32 PM

i believe Southpark mall in Charlotte, supposedly an 'upscale' mall, has a Cheesecake Factory. seems like it fits Charlotte pretty well too.

Charlotte metro def. has more Walmarts than Greenville's metro. Probably at least 15 more.

i don't care about shopping and malls in general but Haywood mall will work for your average person. large two story mall.

i like the fact Greenville only has 1 mall and all the big box store is near it on Woodruff, and not a bunch of duplication. it is easy to avoid the shopping part of Woodruff too if you aren't shopping yourself. in a lot of metroes, all the big box store is on roads that you are forced to travel down even if you aren't shopping.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
all i've posted regarding Charlotte is an opinion about a small park that I looked at pictures of. That park wasn't there when I was , neither was the baseball stadium. But it is obviously a small greenspace.

i'm not beating up on the park, it is fine for what it is. my point is you are always beating up on Falls Park and downtown Gville parks but you are hyping up this small plaza type park in Charlotte. i think this demonstrates you do propaganda on here.
You have no point. And, visit a place before making ignorant comments.

Do I wish Charlotte had a central park, yes. but, at this point, land is too expensive to assemble 1,000 acres and.........there is no space to do that. On the other hand, Charlotte has a ton of smaller parks that work very well in the city. The Green has won numerous awards for being a pocket park, similar to what you may find in places like London.

But, Falls Park is by no means anything other than a dammed up creek with a bridge and very small. There is no space for activities and no reason to visit more than once. The bridge is nice but once you walk across, no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina