Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 09:05 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,923 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about opening a non-profit in either South Carolina or another state. Naturally I'm looking for places where I can buy land inexpensively and where the likelyhood of getting funding for the non-profit I want to start is best ... or ... "good." My questions are:

1. Is S.C. a state where a new non-profit is likely to find funding? I'm a middle-age black man and I've heard about the history of "healers" along with the great support for the Arts that is in the SC culture. Do you think there also money for working with the homeless and vets in different ways?

2. I'm currently a "truck driver" and engaged in a year of searching. I've only had the opportunity to drive into S.C. once ... and I really loved how it looks. I've also worked as a Technical Writer. I've heard that S.C. has a growing High Tech industry. (Spartenburg?)

3. S.C. attracts me for different reasons that other states do .... but no much different. (Low cost land/housing, and proximity to high value markets.) But overall ... how is the job market?

4. S.C. is the deep South and one friend of mine who was born and raised there says it's "too conservative" for him to return. Yet, it seems that thousands of "out-siders" are flocking to S.C. Overall, it seems that matters of race arn't all that bad or ... very different than any other state in America these days.

Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 02:23 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,632 times
I cannot factually comment on the first three questions you have posed.

Quote:
S.C. is the deep South and one friend of mine who was born and raised there says it's "too conservative" for him to return. Yet, it seems that thousands of "out-siders" are flocking to S.C. Overall, it seems that matters of race aren't all that bad or ... very different than any other state in America these days.
I am a NY'er who has relocated to SC and feel that my thoughts & opinions are more in line with the "conservatives" of this state than with my more liberal neighbors in NY. It is one of the things that have attracted me. Please note that I am not a Rush Limbaugh, banner waving Republican, I actually registered as an independent but I am much more comfortable politically here than I was up North.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:05 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times
Question Is there a market for your services?

I can't tell from your post what it is that your non-profit will actually DO. You need to do the same kind of market research that you would in starting any other kind of business. I have worked in the non-profit world and KNOWING THE COMMUNITY in which you will be operating your non-profit is essential. I'm sure there are areas of opportunity in SC but I would suggest treading softly and going slow,so you don't come on like an outsider coming in to fix their problems. There's a lot of underserved areas in SC, Orangeburg looks like one of them. If you have never managed a nonprofit I would suggest working or volunteeering for one for a while until you build up some cred. Your question about availability of funding is too general for any one to answer. Good luck to you but you have a lot of homework to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina