Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 05:51 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,654,079 times

Advertisements

If Fla. and Ga. can widen I-95 with out paying for tolls. Why can't S.C.?
By time S. C. gets around to it, they should be planning on 4 lanes each way 'Now".
This state is always behind in everything, yet they think they are doing a good job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 05:53 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Literally just drove 4 thru Orlando a week ago and they’re completely redoing the entire stretch of it thru the area. Felt like a good 15-20 miles. And they’ve gotta be doing a lot more than widening it. Looks like they’re adding another whole interstate, elevated ramps and all.
Exactly. It's called the I-4 ultimate and honestly was 15 years past dude. When finished, this 20 some mile stretch of urban interstate will be much much wider and have tolled Lexus lanes on it.

However 95 in SC only runs through rural areas and is still woefully in need of expansion. Not comparable to Orlando's problem but I hear ya.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:26 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
A few thoughts.

1. SC loses out on so much potential revenue by the crappy exits all along I-95. That would make a big dent in the cost.

2. If the SC reps are talking about this now, expect action in 20-30 years. Tops.

3. Action now would be smart. Given the close relationship between the folks in DC and Columbia right now, it would be a good time to ask.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:44 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
If Fla. and Ga. can widen I-95 with out paying for tolls. Why can't S.C.?
By time S. C. gets around to it, they should be planning on 4 lanes each way 'Now".
This state is always behind in everything, yet they think they are doing a good job.
The majority of Florida’s major cities are along I-95. For Florida’s tourism driven economy, I-95 is the money pipeline that people use to drop tourism money in the state. Even with that, Florida just widened I-95 fairly recently.

Georgia’s answer to paying for that 3rd lane, is to have a state trooper behind every overpass and keep inconsistent speed limits throughout the state.

SC and NC has nothing alone 95 (the coastal cities are connected by 17).

If the sole purpose of an interstate is just to connect all the states together, the Feds should pay for most of the bill.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
About effing time - I've driven I-95 in SC ONCE - drove to Jacksonville last year from Greenville - I-95 in SC was a nightmare and traffic south was STOPPED (no accidents) on a Saturday - the SC portion of I-95 is in complete disrepair and an embarrassment - crossing into GA on I-95 South was like time traveling into the 21st century
Let me guess, you were stopped on the SC side about 10 miles from the GA border? Then you got into GA and everything picked up again? It happens to me every time I go to Jacksonville.
What doesn’t make sense is that traffic is fine for the vast majority of 95 in SC. Then just before you get outside of GA where there’s 3 lanes things actually slow down instead of speed up. Coming back to SC where the road is narrowing, the traffic speeds pretty much stay the same.
It’s not so much the interstate itself as it is running into the only metro on 95 (which just so happens to also be right where that 3 lane starts after being on a rural highway for hours. Traffic in SC really clears out once you close to 17, as it siphons off almost half the traffic.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Exactly. It's called the I-4 ultimate and honestly was 15 years past dude. When finished, this 20 some mile stretch of urban interstate will be much much wider and have tolled Lexus lanes on it.

However 95 in SC only runs through rural areas and is still woefully in need of expansion. Not comparable to Orlando's problem but I hear ya.
The answer Orlando has to everything is pay to play. If you don’t mind paying up you can get around fairly quickly. That left everybody else stuck with outdated I-4 which turned into a parking lot every rush hour. What was frustrating was I-4 is the most direct route. The toll roads go out of the way, so what you make up in speed you lose in distance. Then they decide to rework the entire stretch of I-4 all at the same time. You’re right about it being 15 years past due. They were too reliant on the toll roads.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:24 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
If the sole purpose of an interstate is just to connect all the states together, the Feds should pay for most of the bill.
That would be nice! I think the best South Carolina can do is get the feds to pay for a part of widening I-95.

North Carolina announced they are going to finally start widening I-95, starting with a 25 mile section from I-95 Business/U.S. 301 (Exit 56) in Cumberland County and I-40 (Exit 81) in Johnston County, including all of Harnett County.

They going from 2 lanes to 4 lanes throughout that section and right now the budgeted cost for that project is $709 million with $147 million (20% of the total cost) coming from a federal program known as Infrastructure for Rebuilding America, or INFRA.

I-95 Widening North of Fayetteville

It seems like South Carolina with probably be widening the southernmost 33 miles of I-95 first with a cost of $1.2 Billion and only going from 2 lanes to 3 lanes in each direction with construction not starting until at least 2023.

Driving I-95 got you down? Plan moves ahead for 6 lanes between Beaufort Co. and Georgia

Old 05-01-2019, 07:58 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
This is relevant: https://scpolicycouncil.org/featured...TySWkMWqKZJzBY

Old 05-01-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
That would be nice! I think the best South Carolina can do is get the feds to pay for a part of widening I-95.

North Carolina announced they are going to finally start widening I-95, starting with a 25 mile section from I-95 Business/U.S. 301 (Exit 56) in Cumberland County and I-40 (Exit 81) in Johnston County, including all of Harnett County.

They going from 2 lanes to 4 lanes throughout that section and right now the budgeted cost for that project is $709 million with $147 million (20% of the total cost) coming from a federal program known as Infrastructure for Rebuilding America, or INFRA.

I-95 Widening North of Fayetteville

It seems like South Carolina with probably be widening the southernmost 33 miles of I-95 first with a cost of $1.2 Billion and only going from 2 lanes to 3 lanes in each direction with construction not starting until at least 2023.

Driving I-95 got you down? Plan moves ahead for 6 lanes between Beaufort Co. and Georgia
That first 33 miles is the majority of the problem. That would both better transition into Savannah’s traffic to prevent the backups into SC, and help dispel the illusion that the traffic is due to SC not spending enough on 95. Just arbitrarily widening entire lengths of highway just because the neighbors are doing it isn’t an efficient use of resources.

I’m not sure how the federal infrastructure spending allocation works, but it would seem that more of a percentage should be allotted to states the benefit the least from interstate improvements. If NC and SC only need a wider 95 so that New Yorkers can get to Disney faster, then the majority of the funding should come from the feds. If SC wants to widen 26 so Greenville and Columbia can ship more goods to Charleston faster, the state should cover the majority of the cost.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:48 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,654,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
If SC wants to widen 26 so Greenville and Columbia can ship more goods to Charleston faster, the state should cover the majority of the cost.
If that's the case, then the state is so far behind in widening I-26. The truck traffic on that road is insane.
Greenville and Columbia have big wide intrastates, but the lower part of the state that handles all the trucks into the port suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina