Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2023, 07:27 AM

8,230 posts, read 13,345,033 times

Advertisements

I was in Florence last weekend to visit family and friends.. Stayed downtown at Hotel Florence. As usual downtown seems to be doing well.. though I walked around on North Dargan closer towards the train tracks there seemed to be more vacant storefronts. Any ideas on what if anything is happening in that corridor? I did see a building being renovated on Dargan and Darlington Streets across from the Sav a Lot.. Looked like for office? At any rate the area overall seems to be coming along. I know there is a major development over on W. Evans where there is a parking structure being built. Cant wait to see it once all that block is finished. S. Irby still needs some work but the other major retail corridors seem to be doing well especially Magnolia Mall and Five Points.

I flew into Florence... I am still wondering if the City will pick up another airline. I assume Delta will not resume service and it likely wont get a Southwest, Frontier, or Avelo as these are already in MYR. I thought about possibly Contour Airlines but with service to BWI (as opposed to Charlotte) There is a route from BWI to Macon GA and they seem to fly in to smaller cities...I believe they may also be subsidize by the Feds or host city so that may have to play a role assuming there is any interest or demand to connect Florence with the DC Area. FLO is very easy to get in and out of and the only reason I may opt to fly into CAE then drive down is because I am always worried that a flight delay or cancellation would leave me stranded... since its only three or so flights a day.

https://www.contourairlines.com/plan...s/destinations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2023, 08:00 PM

308 posts, read 468,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniebaby29 View Post
Do we know what is going on the land they are clearing on dunbarton?
Well I did some research on who owns the land and it’s a residential builder. So more than likely single family homes will be going there.

Old 12-24-2023, 02:05 PM

19 posts, read 23,913 times
I hope that the airport can attract new service and expand, especially as we see Florence beginning to pick up and attract industry.

I noticed that Torrid is closing in the mall, 19th Green Indoor golf facility closed by Academy, and Hwy 55 is temporarily closed apparently for failure to pay rent. Hopefully that is worked out and it reopens soon.

Anyone heard anything else about Publix? The construction job was posted and haven’t heard anything yet officially about this. I also have read online and heard a few people say they have heard that Costco is coming out near Bucees along with a Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas. Really hope these are true or that Florence can get them in the near future.

Old 12-24-2023, 02:18 PM

8,230 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanstats View Post
I hope that the airport can attract new service and expand, especially as we see Florence beginning to pick up and attract industry.

I noticed that Torrid is closing in the mall, 19th Green Indoor golf facility closed by Academy, and Hwy 55 is temporarily closed apparently for failure to pay rent. Hopefully that is worked out and it reopens soon.

Anyone heard anything else about Publix? The construction job was posted and haven’t heard anything yet officially about this. I also have read online and heard a few people say they have heard that Costco is coming out near Bucees along with a Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas. Really hope these are true or that Florence can get them in the near future.
I suspect that American has the option to increase flights to FLO thus thwarting any new airlines plan other than say Delta whom used to service the airport. Bass Pro would be a good addition to Magnolia Mall

Old 12-24-2023, 06:46 PM

Being YouTubing videos of other locations that have received battery plants and a lot of the news coverage on those locations talk about the huge influx of growth to those towns. However as we all know the local stations here does a lousy job covering Florence, and the quality of journalism is much to be desired, so you will not see any in-depth coverage on anything for that matter. YouTube Toyota battery plant in NC.

Old 12-26-2023, 07:31 AM

246 posts, read 432,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanstats View Post

Costco cannot open on any land surrounding Bucees.
They have restrictions on grocery stores, convenience stores, and certain restaurants.

Maybe across the street, but not on the same side as Bucees.

I've also heard the rumor of a Cabelas, however, that was over a year ago.

I like Greenville's way of doing it, and maybe doing something similar across from Bucees to escape the restrictions - a small center anchored by Cabelas and Costco.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8350...!1e3?entry=ttu

I check bidding sites regularly,
Only thing at this time is the Walmart on Irby and the Neighborhood Market is to be updated/renovated like the one on Beltline. No mention on any bidding site for Publix, Costco, or Cabela's/Bass Pro at this time.

Old 12-26-2023, 07:51 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,012,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM91 View Post
Costco cannot open on any land surrounding Bucees.
They have restrictions on grocery stores, convenience stores, and certain restaurants.

Maybe across the street, but not on the same side as Bucees.

I've also heard the rumor of a Cabelas, however, that was over a year ago.

I like Greenville's way of doing it, and maybe doing something similar across from Bucees to escape the restrictions - a small center anchored by Cabelas and Costco.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8350...!1e3?entry=ttu
Magnolia Park in Greenville with Costco and Bass Pro is the site of the former Greenville Mall which was anchored by department stores JBWhite, Montgomery Ward and Parisian. The mall was built originally in the late 70's so the property has been commercial for decades. The mall was torn down for the Magnolia Park shopping center.

Old 12-26-2023, 09:45 PM

634 posts, read 327,160 times
I wouldn't ever have a reason to go to a Bass Pro Shop but that would be a huge 'get' for Florence. A quick check shows me that there are only three in the state right now, in Greenville, Fort Mill, and Myrtle Beach. I'm actually surprised there isn't one further down 95, like maybe near Santee (being close to the 95/26 connection would probably be a great spot).

Old 12-28-2023, 08:05 AM

5,160 posts, read 7,351,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
I wouldn't ever have a reason to go to a Bass Pro Shop but that would be a huge 'get' for Florence. A quick check shows me that there are only three in the state right now, in Greenville, Fort Mill, and Myrtle Beach. I'm actually surprised there isn't one further down 95, like maybe near Santee (being close to the 95/26 connection would probably be a great spot).
If I am not mistaken, both the Greenville and Fort Mill/Charlotte Cabela's were converted to Bass Pro Shop following the merger/acquisition. And in the Charlotte region, there is also an original Bass Pro Shop at the Concord Mills near the speedway. I think all new stores are being built with the Bass Pro Pro banner, rather than Cabela's.

Old 12-31-2023, 07:41 PM

It’s the end of the year and everywhere you look in Florence there is some type of growth or improvements taking place. What do you all think is going to be the next big thing coming to Florence in 24?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina