Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 02:28 PM

1,124 posts, read 927,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Orangeburg, which is in no way, shape, or form part of the Columbia metro, is 1 1/2 hours from Folly Beach.
Sullivan’s island has a beach? Did no one click my picture? I’ve swam at the beach on Sullivan’s... I realize I’m being very literal and that not many people would wanna live in a place like, say, Cameron. But I was pointing out you can live in this metro and be roughly an hour from a beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 09:15 PM

5,723 posts, read 4,696,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Sullivan’s island has a beach? Did no one click my picture? I’ve swam at the beach on Sullivan’s... I realize I’m being very literal and that not many people would wanna live in a place like, say, Cameron. But I was pointing out you can live in this metro and be roughly an hour from a beach.
1 hour 20 minutes from Orangeburg to Sullivan’s Island. Keep digging

While Orangeburg may well be in the CSA, I can’t imagine anyone who seriously thinks Orangeburg is part of the metro. Other than the person trying to sell this.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
1 hour 20 minutes from Orangeburg to Sullivan’s Island. Keep digging

While Orangeburg may well be in the CSA, I can’t imagine anyone who seriously thinks Orangeburg is part of the metro. Other than the person trying to sell this.
Cameron is in Calhoun County? Which is the metro... And I will take a picture of traffic headed home to Orangeburg on one of my regular rides down to Savannah for you if I must. Many people live there and commute here. Point being, like I said, it’s doable. From Cameron it’s an hour and 10. I even said that MOST PEOPLE HOWEVER WOULD NOT WANT TO LIVE IN CAMERON. And that I know I was being literal. I was just pointing out you CAN TECHNICALLY live in the Cola metro and be roughly an hour to a beach. But if she did live in Cameron, she could work nearby in Orangeburg with her agricultural expertise. However, I also don’t know many people who would want to live in or work in Orangeburg. But it’s there. I’m not saying I recommend it, I’m not saying I would do it. All I’m saying is that yes, in fact, you can technically live “around here” and be about an hour to the beach. Not selling anything, I actually think I’d recommend Clemson/Greenville based on what I’ve heard.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
You can live in Metro Columbia and be around an hour to the beach*
I was making the trip between Columbia and Charleston before you were a gleam in your daddy’s eye. While Google Maps may say 1:20, the vast majority of the time it will be nowhere close to that.

I have a friend that finished up at USC Columbia while living in Charleston and commuted to classes. Does that make Charleston part of the Columbia metro?

To be precise, Sandy Run would be part of the metro, but not everything in the county would be.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:22 AM

The Columbia Metro: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columb...South_Carolina)

Old 02-27-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Okay, but the map clearly shows Calhoun County as part of the metro. Cameron is in Calhoun County. And Calhoun County sits by 26. I’m not gonna argue with the you about whether it’s doable or not because it is. I’ve sped before just like everyone else has when I lived in Hanahan and was in Orangeburg County in 40 minutes. And honestly I’ve proven my point and don’t care too much anymore. We could go on and on forever about this, but the fact is it’s doable. Maybe not practical, which was never my point to prove, but doable. And even if in your opinion Metro boundaries are arbitrary, that’s precisely that, your opinion. The federal government says that no matter what, if I live in Calhoun County, whether it be the county line with Richland, or farthest away with Orangeburg, I still live in the metro area since I live in Calhoun County.

Old 02-28-2020, 04:40 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,867,150 times
I would look at towns around Greenville. About 3 hours from the beach, alot of outdoor activities

Old 02-28-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
I would look at towns around Greenville. About 3 hours from the beach, alot of outdoor activities
I agree. Especially since if she ever wants to further her education, the best agricultural school in the state is right in Clemson. And Greenville isn’t too shabby a place to live. I visited for the first time in my adult life a couple months ago, last time I visited I was only about 14 (so didn’t recall too much). And might I say, it may seem trivial, but I was in love with the concrete planted median on 385. I didn’t get a chance to see Main Street as I was there for a doctors appt, but I did drive by it. It looked very charming. I also didn’t get to see falls park. But that would bring me to another good thing about Greenville, if you ask me the prettiest lakes in SC are by far the ones in the Upstate that are at least partially if not fully formed by the mountains and foothills. Especially Lake Jocassee. I’ve only seen pictures, but gosh do they make me wanna go.

Last edited by BrandonCoombes; 02-28-2020 at 12:16 PM..

Old 02-28-2020, 12:08 PM

513 posts, read 576,657 times
Quote:
I agree. Especially since if she ever wants to further her education, the best agricultural school in the state is right in Clemson. And Greenville isn’t the ok shabby a place to live. I visited for the first time in my adult life a couple months ago, last time I visited I was only about 14 (so didn’t recall too much). And might I say, it may seem trivial, but I was in love with the concrete planted median on 385. I didn’t get a chance to see Main Street as I was there for a doctors appt, but I did drive by it. It looked very charming. I also didn’t get to see falls park. But that would bring me to another good thing about Greenville, if you ask me the prettiest lakes in SC are by far the ones in the Upstate that are at least if not fully formed by the mountains and foothills. Especially Lake Jocassee. I’ve only seen pictures, but gosh do they make me wanna go.
Very nice post about our area Brandon! You really should take a weekend and come see all of DT, Falls Park, and drive some of highway 11 (b/w Walhalla and hwy 25). This would put you right by Lake Keowee and near the entrace to Lake Jocassee, as well as pass you by Table Rock and Caeser's Head. You could even take 178 and see the new observation deck at Sassafras. And yeah, Jocassee is gorgeous and definitely leaves an impression.

Old 02-28-2020, 03:28 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,750,142 times
My wife travelled from Mount Pleasant to Cayce all the time to visit her Mom. My wife was a bit of an aggressive driver and the best time she ever made was 1 hour and 45 minutes. You would need to add at least another 1/2 hour to get to any of the beaches. People saying Columbia area to the beaches are in less than two hours are blowing smoke up your butt. If doing it during busy times, make that at least 2.5 hours on a good day.

Want a day at the beach from Columbia? Let us say 5 hours commute (both ways) and 5 hours at the beach. Leave at 9am and get home at 7pm. A day trip yes, but it will be an all day trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina