Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 07:37 AM

6 posts, read 18,830 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are thinking of relocating from the suburbs of NYC to Bluffton sometime this year hopefully. We have a 10 year old daughter who is currently homeschooled. Basically we are looking for a better quality of life for her and for us, close to the beach and away from the insanity that is NY at the moment. Can anyone provide me information on the schools in Bluffton? Since she’s homeschooled she’s currently learning at a higher grade level than her current 4th grade. We are looking for something academically challenging. She takes Latin at a middle school level. I couldn’t find much information on the public schools but was able to find some information on Hilton Head Prep. She also plays violin and would like to continue lessons when we move, are there any music schools or violin teachers in the area? If we buy a house in Bluffton, would the commute to Hilton Head Prep be too much? Are the kids there friendly and accepting? Also, in reference to the homes in Bluffton, are all the homes in communities? If so, how much freedom do you have with your own yard? Can you plant a small garden and install your own pool? Is Bluffton relatively safe? Sorry for they myriad of questions, there is just so much we don’t know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 06:08 AM

237 posts, read 283,566 times
You need to consult a realtor.

I can tell you this. I'd pick Bluffton over Beaufort for your needs. Latin, by & large, isn't taught in the local schools here outside of the parochial system. As for people being friendly & accepting, as long as you don't "New York" up the area, you should be fine. Start complaining & the natives will set you straight very quickly.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:37 AM

6 posts, read 18,830 times
Thank you for the reply. We think Bluffton is the better choice based on our research I just wanted some feedback from locals on how things are. Do you know if it would be insane to live in Bluffton and send my daughter to Hilton Head Prep on the island? We don’t plan on “New Yorking” up the area, that’s why we want to leave here, it’s dreadful. We are just waiting on my husband’s pension to be finalized, he’s a soon-to-be retired police officer. I just worry about my daughter making friends, she’s quiet and shy until she’s comfortable with people. She has a small circle of close friends here that she’s had since she’s three, so I worry most about her.

Old 01-20-2021, 11:22 AM

601 posts, read 458,997 times
I noticed that the only foreign languages Hilton Head Prep offers are Spanish and Chinese. Not even French. Weird.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:11 AM

237 posts, read 283,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann10583 View Post
Thank you for the reply. We think Bluffton is the better choice based on our research I just wanted some feedback from locals on how things are. Do you know if it would be insane to live in Bluffton and send my daughter to Hilton Head Prep on the island? We don’t plan on “New Yorking” up the area, that’s why we want to leave here, it’s dreadful. We are just waiting on my husband’s pension to be finalized, he’s a soon-to-be retired police officer. I just worry about my daughter making friends, she’s quiet and shy until she’s comfortable with people. She has a small circle of close friends here that she’s had since she’s three, so I worry most about her.
You will all do just fine.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:26 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
I don’t know anything about your questions, just wanted to thank your husband for being a police officer and welcome to SC.

Old 01-24-2021, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,108 times
My wife and I just moved down this past August from 'the NYC suburbs' so welcome and hope we can help!!
Our kids are grown but we have a good friend here that teaches in the Bluffton Public School system. She believes they are on par or better than anywhere she worked in NJ but still it's a 'government school' with significant bureaucracy which you likely escaped via homeschooling! IF any interest, the Hilton Head Christian Academy has just opened (this month!) their new campus on Bluffton Parkway. This is a brand new campus and looks to be quite awesome.
Regarding the commute to HHI . . . keep in mind that there is a significant bridge project moving quickly through the system and once that starts you can expect it to be quite difficult to commute since there is only one bridge onto the island!
Regarding housing, we made a big mistake and decided to rent for a year to fully explore exactly where we would eventually choose to buy . . . and this market has EXPLODED in the past couple of months. If we took a leap of faith and bought something in August '20 we would have saved tens of thousands compared to the market today. Having said that, there are sooooo many options here and TONS of new communities being developed in Bluffton and nearby Hardeeville and Okatie. Much depends on your price range. The more information you wish to share, the better we can focus our comments.
Finally, MUCH THANKS AND GRATITUDE for your husband's service to your community.

Old 01-25-2021, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post
I noticed that the only foreign languages Hilton Head Prep offers are Spanish and Chinese. Not even French. Weird.
Not at all weird if you look at the direction of the country and world.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:02 AM

601 posts, read 458,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Not at all weird if you look at the direction of the country and world.
Clearly some newer private schools are more forward-looking with the goal to educate future businesspeople rather than future upper-crust intellectuals (so offering Chinese rather than Latin and Greek). I guess some private schools also are rather small and perhaps not extremely well funded, so can't really offer four foreign languages.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post
Clearly some newer private schools are more forward-looking with the goal to educate future businesspeople rather than future upper-crust intellectuals (so offering Chinese rather than Latin and Greek). I guess some private schools also are rather small and perhaps not extremely well funded, so can't really offer four foreign languages.
My daughter actually took Latin in (private) high school and minored in Chinese in college. Guess she’s prepared to be an upper-crust intellectual businessperson! And, btw, found Latin much easier. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina