Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 07:57 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

Hope it's okay to ask a Hilton Head question in this forum? I live in ATL and am very active in that forum, but I've never been to Hilton Head and will be traveling there next week for the first time. We are a family of 5 (kids 4,6,8). Certainly we'll spend some time on the beach (despite the moderate weather this time of year), but was looking for some other ideas from those that have frequented the area.

We like outdoorsy things, history, shopping (to an extent), fun restaurants and coffee.

Any ideas for how we might spend out time? Places/restaurants/coffee shops we should visit. Any insider info we should be privy too?

Appreciate any and all insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2022, 12:13 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I’m not that familiar with activities for kids in Hilton Head, so I can’t make suggestions, but you might take a day and come down to Savannah. We’re just across the bridge.

The kids might like seeing the container ships from River Street. And the new Plant Riverside is fun to see. Kids enjoy the Pirates House restaurant (walking distance from River St). It’s very old, piratey, and haunted. Argh.

If you park at the Convention Center on Hutchinson Island, you can take a free shuttle across the river to River St. if your kids like boat rides.

Old 03-21-2022, 04:21 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
For kids, there's the Coastal Discovery Museum and I know there's another new museum for kids on the south end of the island, don't know the name. The Art Cafe where the kids can do projects. Depending on the time of year, there's a Pirate Cruise for kids from Harbour Town which is supposed to be a lot of fun, otherwise a dolphin cruise would be good.

There's a Zip Line where if you are under a certain age you have to go on with a parent. At least 3 miniature golf courses.

I'm only here part time, otherwise I'd know of more.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:22 AM

542 posts, read 1,108,255 times
Definitely visit the lighthouse at the harbor. You can walk up to the top for 4.50 a person, and the view is pretty cool. Lots of bike paths everywhere, so if y'all have bikes bring them, or you can rent them. We love Giuseppi's Pizza and Pasta House for dinner. Of course, you have to go to The Salty Dog Cafe for seafood, and a t-shirt. And, Savannah is a great day trip, as noted above. There's even a ferry that goes back and forth. I hope your family has a great time.

Old 03-24-2022, 06:02 AM

I think there used to be a ferry that goes to Savannah. I wish there still was. There's one that goes to Daufuskie Island.

Yes, the Salty Dog would be a good place to have lunch, good for families.

Old 03-25-2022, 06:33 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,265,662 times
You can’t go to Hilton Head without visiting Hudson’s Seafood. Located right on the intracoastal waterway, you can walk the docks and check out the local fishing fleet. Be sure to try the local shrimp, they are seasoned perfectly.

Old 03-26-2022, 11:00 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
You can’t go to Hilton Head without visiting Hudson’s Seafood. Located right on the intracoastal waterway, you can walk the docks and check out the local fishing fleet. Be sure to try the local shrimp, they are seasoned perfectly.
I agree.

Old 03-31-2022, 07:03 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
Awesome! Thanks everyone. We leave next week, looking forward to it!

Old 03-31-2022, 11:56 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times
skull Creek Dockside and Skull Creek Boathouse. Has play area for kids. I actually prefer these two places over Hudson's.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
skull Creek Dockside and Skull Creek Boathouse. Has play area for kids. I actually prefer these two places over Hudson's.
They are cleaner restaurants.

Fish Camp is also good for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina