Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 05:40 PM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 21 days ago)

5,768 posts, read 4,765,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
John's island certainly has a lot of room and it will be used one way or another.
Sure will. For single family houses on .25 acre plots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 06:24 AM

8,284 posts, read 13,459,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
False. I want suburban areas to stop expanding all over creation. I want them to use open space within the existing footprint of development.

Metro Charleston has spread out so far that local governments were looking at putting a huge human waste treatment plant in southern Orangeburg county, just across a field and through some woods from a church where my ancestors are buried going back to fourth great-grandparents. The farming community there and the town of Bowman came together in large force against it, including my email to the Orangeburg County council, and yesterday the Charleston-area group rescinded its request to have the land rezoned for their proposed facility.

But they really figured, hmm, we’ve run out of room in the Tri-County region, so we’ll just cross on over outside the MSA in the country in the next county for our poop project. They didn’t know or care that my first and second cousins and their children and grandchildren live and farm there and are proud of their community. I was feeling it BIG TIME in letting the Orangeburg County council know how I felt about it, being just two miles if that from where my mother and perhaps I will have our final resting place. I was all over the MSA sprawl and land-raping concepts in what I had to say.

I don’t know where amidst the suburban sprawl that has touched virtually every corner of the Tri-County region they’ll find to process our waste. Too bad there must not be enough space left to build it far enough away from some big, spread out housing subdivision within the MSA. What gives? Hold your noses. I know it won’t be in Charleston proper.
That is crazy! I cant believe that an adjacent County would even think about putting a noxious municipal public works project in another County...unless maybe its a regional public utility that serves both. That would be political suicide for the politicos in the receiving jurisdiction. The only upside if there is one is that if the growth spills over into (Orangeburg) they could tap into it to support growth inside the County. At any rate, no one who lives in that area now would want to have one located near them...voluntarily.

Old 05-08-2024, 09:05 AM

13,028 posts, read 18,890,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Sure will. For single family houses on .25 acre plots.
And plenty of apartments like the ones recently completed and those under construction, not to mention those on the drawing board

Old 05-08-2024, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
That is crazy! I cant believe that an adjacent County would even think about putting a noxious municipal public works project in another County...unless maybe its a regional public utility that serves both. That would be political suicide for the politicos in the receiving jurisdiction. The only upside if there is one is that if the growth spills over into (Orangeburg) they could tap into it to support growth inside the County. At any rate, no one who lives in that area now would want to have one located near them...voluntarily.
It was for the Charleston Tri-County region only. WLTX had a story on it last night, and the Times and Democrat reported on it. Little Bowman and Cow Castle, my people’s neck of the woods, came together big and the rezoning request was rescinded. They said it didn’t suit their needs after all. That was convenient to say.

Old 05-08-2024, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
John's island certainly has a lot of room and it will be used one way or another.
Johns Island is close enough, but it has an urban boundary established years ago that has been upheld.

Old 05-08-2024, 09:27 AM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 21 days ago)

5,768 posts, read 4,765,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
And plenty of apartments like the ones recently completed and those under construction, not to mention those on the drawing board
Sure, there are ~4 along Maybank Hwy. And the overwhelming development on Johns is single family. Just like MtP.

Further, the majority of Johns Island isn't in Charleston. So they have no say in it's development. In fact, most of the people I know from there want Charleston to have zero say.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Sure, there are ~4 along Maybank Hwy. And the overwhelming development on Johns is single family. Just like MtP.

Further, the majority of Johns Island isn't in Charleston. So they have no say in it's development. In fact, most of the people I know from there want Charleston to have zero say.
The people who live outside the city on Johns Island basically want zero growth there. Same with many who live in the city. Regardless, there is an established urban growth boundary that will set the more developed portions apart from the less developed ones.

A quarter of an acre as you mentioned is best described as a city lot. City lots have a place within city boundaries. Larger plots will still be available in the more rural areas of the island outside the urban boundary. Wadmalaw will be a continuation of that, but with even more land per house. That news was in the newspaper just the other day.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:21 AM

And that’s the thing. Whoever believes I’m for nothing but stacked or attached housing from one side of the city to the other from north to south, east to west and diagonally is mistaken.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:57 AM

Fewer places for sprawl in Charleston County -

Don’t want sprawl around you? Don’t want your bucolic area raped by developers and DOT? Declare your community a historic settlement area. Charleston County Council just voted 5-4 to block the construction of large housing subdivisions in settlement communities for the next 10 years. Good move!

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/...EwB6O0uxW4jzRz

Old 05-10-2024, 09:23 AM

811 posts, read 385,008 times
The urban areas will run out of room at some point because we have forever immigration into the country plus major immigration from other regions of country.

Suburban and rural growth will continue to explode unless we end immigration. You've said you want to make easier for
people to enter country.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 05-10-2024 at 09:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina