Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2024, 12:29 PM

3 posts, read 313 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

So, we just got a job offer near Oconee County and we are trying to decide where we want to go between Walhalla, Westminster, and Seneca. We are taking a trip up there but wanted to also get some feedback.

We have a 6 year old boy who would go to Oconee Christian Academy. We are a low key family - our son plays baseball currently. We will get involved with our church and community and go boating and do a little hunting perhaps

I guess what I am curious about are:

Kid activities - nothing major but we want to have access to all the sports like baseball, basketball etc.

Sense of coherence in a town (My wife loves the idea of a downtown with shops that you can walk to where its easy) Also loves town events like family type stuff

Crime (It doesn't seem like that is going to be much of an issue either place but is either place better or worse with that in mind}

And basically what's good about all three? Is one more retirement than another? We are close to 40 and just want a nice community, good church, and some fun safe family stuff.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 12:18 PM

803 posts, read 1,466,762 times
Of the three, I'd say Walhalla probably has the nicest downtown area...keeping in mind that they're all fairly small towns. Seneca is the largest of the three, and has a little bit more going on in general. It's the closest to Clemson and its associated amenities. Westminster is the smallest and most "remote"-feeling of the three.

Clemson/Pendleton/Central area, about 10-15 miles from Seneca, might also be worth considering. However, the recent growth and development around Clemson University has been either a blessing or a curse, depending on who you ask.

Where are you moving from? If you're coming from a bigger city, you might be in for a bit of small-town culture shock. I grew up nearby in Anderson, so it's no big deal to me, but I could see how it would take some adjustment if you're coming from a much bigger area.

Old Yesterday, 01:28 AM

3 posts, read 313 times
We would be moving from Cape Coral Florida but me and my wife are from smaller towns in Georgia and Texas respectively.

It sounds from your response Walhalla may be just what my wife has in mind.

I think we are ready for the shock and slower pace. Florida was fun for a few years buts its time to get in some space and on some back roads. Thank you for your response, it really does help to hear from locals.

Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 29 days ago)

770 posts, read 363,621 times
I recommend Seneca or Clemson for convenience just drive over to Walhalla for downtown. You'll be closer to the lakes in Seneca and Clemson.

Walhalla downtown isn't a major destination in my view.

Last edited by LakeMan45; Yesterday at 09:45 AM..

Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

803 posts, read 1,466,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinmb View Post
We would be moving from Cape Coral Florida but me and my wife are from smaller towns in Georgia and Texas respectively.

It sounds from your response Walhalla may be just what my wife has in mind.

I think we are ready for the shock and slower pace. Florida was fun for a few years buts its time to get in some space and on some back roads. Thank you for your response, it really does help to hear from locals.
Nice. I've lived in Houston for the last 18 years, but visit family back in the Anderson area at least once a year. There are definitely things I miss about it...the slower pace is a good thing IMO, the scenery is gorgeous, and the weather is generally better than along the Gulf Coast (yeah, upstate SC gets storms like they had last night, but that's nothing like a hurricane or tropical storm).

Old Today, 07:00 AM

3 posts, read 313 times
Yeah, so where we are from had the direct hit from Ian. That was an eye opener.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina