Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,710 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with Savannah Lakes village in McCormack, SC? Any info would be welcome on the area. Has anyone recently located there? How do you like it? I am from MA and would like to relocate, (Tired of the cold and snow). Whats it like in McCormack?

Sully
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 03:05 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,478,176 times
Just FYI, it's "McCormick" not McCormack.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:09 PM

64 posts, read 304,011 times
Default Do you Fish?

If you are moving to Savannah Lakes because you like the water and fish then you probably will like it. The town isn't much, it has several antique shops but for other shopping or entertainment you will have to drive 30 min. or more. Lake Greenwood has several nice gated communities and there is alittle more to do in Greenwood. I can't tell you much about Savannah Lakes Village, only pass by on my way to fish Clark Hill or Lake Thrumond(dont know which one they decided to call it but it will always be Clark Hill to me) Hope someone can tell you more.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,882 times
We have been looking for about a year at places in Sc to relocate. We have looked at Savanna lakes three times. The lake is wonderful from all accounts and it is beautiful. BUT, we are not golfers. Are you? If you are, you would probably love it...and if you like fishing etc. It seemed to me that it would be hard to get to know people if you didn't golf, but I could be wrong. Plus, you pay substantially for that even if you do'nt use it. There are a lot of wooded cul de sacs. Very nice if you don't want to mow a lot of grass and you like kinda secluded. I thought it would be hard to get to know neighbors etc. These are just some of my thoughts. It is very nice there, though.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:43 AM

12 posts, read 52,875 times
Default McCormick, Savannah Lakes Village

We just returned from a visit there so I have a lot of info I can pass along. We are Michiganders (60 years old) trying to duplicate our home in the south. We live on a lake and love to golf. Savannah lakes is a beautiful village with a huge lake and 2 golf courses, and many activities. It is private, but you can pay as you go for golf and you can dock a boat for fees. It is by far the most reasonable $$ area we have found, and we have looked a lot. The only downfall is that it is quite isolated. Any decent shopping is 30 miles away. The town of McCormick is a tiny town, offering the bare minimum basics. We are trying to decide if this is the spot for us. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:18 PM

168 posts, read 694,903 times
My parents have lived in Savannah Lakes Village for nearly 10 years. I live about an hour and a half away in Lexington. I spend quite a bit of time at Savannah Lakes and will be happy to answer any specific questions anyone might have. We are transplants from Michigan.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:42 PM

Smile Hi mpaquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaquette View Post
My parents have lived in Savannah Lakes Village for nearly 10 years. I live about an hour and a half away in Lexington. I spend quite a bit of time at Savannah Lakes and will be happy to answer any specific questions anyone might have. We are transplants from Michigan.
We just returned from a visit to Savannah Lakes. We live in Michigan and are considering retiring there. We love the village, but are concerned about shopping, medical care, etc. I know of Evans, and Greenwood for shopping 30 miles away. I just wonder how isolated is it really, and when will the village develop some shopping and other businesses. Are there really any children living there, or just us older geezers.??? ,

Old 08-14-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaquette View Post
Question: Is there a lot of boating traffic on the lake? While we were there, not one boater on the lake near the marina and beach club grill. Is is difficult to get tee times for golf? It was really HOT there last week - 95 to 100. Is this typical summer weather? Does the wind ever get breezy? On land or on the lake? We are trying to decide whether to buy a lot. Our daughter moved to Charleston area and loves it. We'd love to live closer to her, but not too close - easy driving distance for overnite stays. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:35 AM

168 posts, read 694,903 times
There is a Food Lion in McCormick that you can do most of your grocery shopping at. If you're looking for things like Lowe's, Best Buy, fast food, etc. you'll have to drive to Greenwood (20 minutes) or Augusta (45 minutes). Same applies to medical care. The only kids I have seen there are ones visiting their grandparents. I made my first trip there back in 1996 and it really hasn't changed all that much. Sure there are more houses and people living there, but the shopping situation has not changed.

The boat traffic on Lake Thurmond depends on the time of year. It was very busy (by Lake Thurmond standards) over Memorial Day weekend. There is a large fireworks display around the 4th of July and there is quite a bit of traffic then as well. I was out there this past weekend and it was very quiet. Keep in mind that compared to just about any lake in Michigan, Lake Thurmond is pretty quiet. I don't think it's difficult to get tee times for golf, but you do need to plan ahead a few days in advance, especially for the weekends. The 2 SLV golf courses have group golf functions on a weekly basis for both men and women. My parents play a lot of golf and my dad works in the cart barn at Tara. It has been hot here the last couple of weeks. Over the past 2 weeks, several record high temps were recorded. Typically it's going to be in the 90's during the summer the some 100+ degree days. Breezy days are fairly uncommon, especially in the summer. Did you notice how many people have ceiling fans on their porches?

If you like to golf, fish, boat, etc. in a quiet, fairly close knit community, then I think it's a great place to live/retire. I love it there and my wife and I spend as much time as we can out on the lake during the summer.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:17 AM

Thanks for your views. I appreciate your input and after visiting there for two days with the realtor, I think you just confirmed everything that we already knew.. Now we just have to decide to make the commitment. Scary. Never lived anywhere else but Michigan, but our daughter moved to Mt. Pleasant a year ago and loves it. That is too hot and steamy and populated for us. We like the idea of peace and quiet and driving a ways to find our excitement. Oakland County is so busy with traffic, noise pollution, not to mention snow. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina