Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:29 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times

Advertisements

I was wondering,is SC really dog friendly at all? We work with animals and some things I've heard out of SC aren't very positive- first with the fact that dog fighting is big in the south,second I heard a horrible story out of Columbia about a police officer shooting dogs...and lastly yet hardly worth mentioning a restaurant in the Myrtle Beach are called Dead Dog Saloon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 01:39 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,028,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I was wondering,is SC really dog friendly at all? We work with animals and some things I've heard out of SC aren't very positive- first with the fact that dog fighting is big in the south,second I heard a horrible story out of Columbia about a police officer shooting dogs...and lastly yet hardly worth mentioning a restaurant in the Myrtle Beach are called Dead Dog Saloon
I think most of the 'dog-fighting' takes place in the very rural areas of the state, I have not seen or heard anything like that taken place in Columbia or a police officer shooting dogs - do you have a source for that?

We just took our dogs to Hilton Head this past weekend, and there was a nice dog park near the beach and this time of year you can take them on the beach anytime, was fun, and they really enjoyed it. A lot of people have dogs in our neighborhood and a lot of the people I've met here have them as well, and have never heard any horror stories as you are suggesting you are concerned about.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:54 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
I recently moved to the Greenville area (with our dog), and it seems quite dog-friendly. Several of the downtown restaurants with outdoor seating allow dogs at the tables. The city of Greenville has one dog park... not sure about the rest of the county.

One thing I've been impressed with is the large number of rescue groups in the area. I guess, however, that it's a good news-bad news thing - bad that they're needed, but good that they're active. I have a friend in Taylors who is very active in Schnauzer rescue. I have a friend in Beaufort who is VERY rescue-focused, horses and all animals. My riding instructor and her husband have two rescue-Standard Poodles.

Louisiana was the last state in the US to outlaw dog-fighting - only within the last couple of months. As the other poster mentioned, dog fighting usually happens "way underground" in the more rural areas. I've lived in the south all my life and have never known anyone who attended or condoned dog fights. I have recently noticed several pit-bull type dogs being walked in very nice neighborhoods that are probably rescue dogs.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:36 PM

283 posts, read 900,437 times
I have a rottie, and have yet to get that ewwww, scared of your horrible dog sort of reaction. We still don't have any dog parks in town, but we do take him to a local walking trail at a nearby park, and take him for walks downtown.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:16 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykat&joe View Post
I have a rottie, and have yet to get that ewwww, scared of your horrible dog sort of reaction.
I first became aware of Rotties through the Karl the Dog children's books. I think they're wonderful, lovely dogs. And I've got a sweet "non-threatening" Cavalier.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:40 AM

187 posts, read 980,578 times
One of the few good things about SC is that it does seem to be dog friendly, even if there are plenty of people afraid of the happy creatures. You will come across a lot of small business owners and even employees that bring their dogs to the office.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:22 PM

362 posts, read 1,503,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykat&joe View Post
I have a rottie, and have yet to get that ewwww, scared of your horrible dog sort of reaction. We still don't have any dog parks in town, but we do take him to a local walking trail at a nearby park, and take him for walks downtown.
You must be talking about Hitchcock Woods -- wonderful place to take my Rottie. I've not met anyone yet afraid of my overly-anxious Rott. She loves to meet people.

The only problem that I found when I first relocated here a little over a year ago was finding a rental that would allow pets. The town itself is dog-friendly, but it seems that some irresponsible owners have made it bad for the rest of us responsible owners.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:25 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
SC will not force you away from owning certain breeds or require you to spay or neuter your animal. There are laws concerning tethering now. So I would say it is decently dog friendly.

Now, that is dog friendly, like a dog is a dog. I would not call it a furbaby place with lots of dog parks, etc.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:46 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinkit View Post
The only problem that I found when I first relocated here a little over a year ago was finding a rental that would allow pets. The town itself is dog-friendly, but it seems that some irresponsible owners have made it bad for the rest of us responsible owners.
Not sure if that's the case,in NJ it's also very hard to find pet friendly rentals...perhaps they just want to keep the rentals in good shape for future renters.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:24 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
I haven't heard anything about a police officer shooting a dog. In Columbia they have "bark to the park" at Finlay Park every year and I see a lot of people at Riverfront Park with their dogs. I think there is a specific dog park at Saluda Shoals Park in the St Andrews area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina