Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 04:21 AM

15 posts, read 45,166 times

Advertisements

Thank you for reading my message,
Being as were Coming from England I believed that the cost of living would be much cheaper in America, especially in the south.
But it seems that couldn't be further from the truth, Property tax (for vehicle's), HOA fees, heath insurance, these are all extras I didn't expect to be so high.
The reason I've posted this message is because I've been reading how high the electricity and water bills can be in Florida, and I was wondering if the one's in Charleston are in anyway comparable, could you guys give me some examples of your utility bill costs per month please.

Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 09:51 AM

213 posts, read 1,022,053 times
it is almost impossible to compare utility costs unless are variables are exactly the same.

the house size, age, insulation, construction materials all affect usage. type of heat, etc.

contact the local utility company for the area you are considering and ask them for cost per unit. then ask what averages are for houses in a variety of size ranges in a variety of areas

- the elctric and gas company all have this info.

water and usually trash is supplied by local governments- so charleston different than columbia.

HOA fess are community dependent and vary greatly

property taxes are by local jurisdiction.

seems so hard to get an idea of costs, i know. just so hard to generalize. for instance in a 1200 sq ft 3 bedroom home in james island electric runs about 80 a month for my tenanats. In goose creek same size house is about 100 a month - could be the habits of tenants, temperature desired, etc.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:05 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,265,426 times
As someone who has lived in both FL and SC I will tell you that there is no comparison.

When I lived in FL I had a 1350 sf house with no insulation except for the attic. I kept it about 70 in the house year round. My electric bill was close to $300. My house in SC was 1756 sf and also only had attic insulation. My highest electric bill was $191, and that was the month this past summer where temps were over 100.

Water bill in FL ran me close to $100/month. Same 2 people with the same habits was $35/month in SC.

Trash will depend on if you live in a city limit (included in your property tax) or out in the county (I paid $15/month for trash service).

Vehicle tax varies by county, but it was $79 to renew my 2000 Olds and $27 to renew my husband's 1993 conversion van.

My property tax in FL was just over $1500. It was $316 in SC.

Not all locations will have an HOA. You mostly find that in the newer, gated communities. The neighborhood that I lived in did not have an HOA.

So, while it will vary from location to location on the whole SC will be more cost effective than FL.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:54 AM

31 posts, read 161,346 times
Question Just wondering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
As someone who has lived in both FL and SC I will tell you that there is no comparison.

When I lived in FL I had a 1350 sf house with no insulation except for the attic. I kept it about 70 in the house year round. My electric bill was close to $300. My house in SC was 1756 sf and also only had attic insulation. My highest electric bill was $191, and that was the month this past summer where temps were over 100.

Water bill in FL ran me close to $100/month. Same 2 people with the same habits was $35/month in SC.

Trash will depend on if you live in a city limit (included in your property tax) or out in the county (I paid $15/month for trash service).

Vehicle tax varies by county, but it was $79 to renew my 2000 Olds and $27 to renew my husband's 1993 conversion van.

My property tax in FL was just over $1500. It was $316 in SC.

Not all locations will have an HOA. You mostly find that in the newer, gated communities. The neighborhood that I lived in did not have an HOA.

So, while it will vary from location to location on the whole SC will be more cost effective than FL.

Isn't there a state income tax in SC also?

Old 03-03-2007, 11:12 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,540,890 times
I am originally from England. Overall, you will find the cost of living in SC lower than in the UK. Florida has gone crazy, because of hurricane insurance, and speculative buying of condos and homes, a lot of it by Brits!

A house in the UK that sells for $400,000, can be bought in SC for apx $175,000. There's your big difference.

Utility bills are higher in the south, because of air conditioning. You can't live without it.

Obviously petrol is much much cheaper. Cars are cheaper.

You biggest horror is going to be health insurance. You need to work for a company that offers health insurance - you can put your family on it also.
To be self-employed is becoming difficult in that respect.

On the budget plan, whereby you pay the same amount every month, you can expect to be $200.00 a month for gas and electric combined. (The company will set up the budget system for you).

HOA fee are only in areas where there is a collective fee, i.e. to pay for swimming pool, etc.

Supermarket food is about the same in both countries. Eating out is cheaper here. Clothing is cheaper here.

I personally would stay way from FL until they get their problems sorted out.

Your only big problem is health insurance - you or your spouse really need to be working for a company that offers it.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:14 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,265,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FultonFish View Post
Isn't there a state income tax in SC also?
There is. I believe it is 3% of your federal, but don't quote me on that. I am self employed, and had WAAAAY more expenses than I had income last year. I expect it will be different for this year (at least I hope it will!)

Old 03-03-2007, 03:36 PM

15 posts, read 45,166 times
Thanks for all of your great responses.
My wife and have two little girls 10 and 2 years old, could anyone give us an idea of what health insurance costs would run at as we both intend to be self employed.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:13 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,540,890 times
Unless you are quite wealthy, I don't believe you can afford it for 4 people. It would be better if one of you got a job with a company that offers insurance. What type of visa are you coming on? It's very diffficult to get into the US.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:24 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,882,672 times
Default Health Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie1972 View Post
give us an idea of what health insurance costs would run at as we both intend to be self employed.
I think you would be looking at $1200 to 1800 a month depending on the amount of coverage you desire.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:07 PM

31 posts, read 161,346 times
Thumbs down Don't faint

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
I think you would be looking at $1200 to 1800 a month depending on the amount of coverage you desire.

I have private health insurance just for ME runs about $2000.00 per month. Hubby is retired and is on medicare.
But I have a C-100 plan. I pay one huge deductible, $1000.00 per year but after that EVERYTHING is covered 100%. It’s very expensive but my prescriptions run me over $35K a year, so it’s worth it otherwise I’d be bankrupt and bed ridden till I die. This is why we are looking to move north somewhat, I'm in FL and it IS outrageous with homeowners ins. and taxes. I was paying about $1700.00 now it has jumped to $3600.00 per yer. Yet I had very little hurricane damage they dropped us and I am not near the ocean. So for us heading a bit north is our plan in about a year. I will be coming to the Lexington/Anderson area in April just to see how things are there.
I love to travel and see other parts of the USA and the south truly has my heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina