Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 48,982 times

Advertisements

ok i know this has nothing to do with your problem but i have no one else to ask this so i figured i post in here. i live in sc. i got pulled over for having too dark tint (5% the darkest) the cop told me i had to get it removed by the court date. is there anyway i can get around this?! i wish i could just pay my fines but it turns out to take the tint off it cost more then i can get it put on for. i thought maybe if i told them my bmw isent running that maybe they wouldent do anything about it? im just wondering someones oppinion thats possablly in law enforcement or knows alot about laws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 08:55 PM

890 posts, read 4,326,874 times
I don't think there is anything you can do other than removing or replacing with legal tint. The law is the law and they have heard every excuse in the book and believe none of them. Some states allow darker tint on the rear windows, unfortunately, South Carolina is not one of them. Take it to a tint shop and tell them you need it replaced with the legal tint, they might not even charge you to remove it. Work a deal. Then tell the judge you had the old tint replaced and you are legal now. Bring the paperwork and your car as proof. Chances are they will reduce the ticket or maybe even drop it. Legal tint is better than no tint at all.

Last edited by scjj; 05-02-2009 at 09:23 PM..

Old 05-04-2009, 08:47 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,031,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinkit View Post
I have never understood the need, of some, to have tinted windows in the first place. My daughter had them on one of her cars, just 'cause she thought it was "cool" -- along with her piercing her tongue. Thank God, she's matured since then.
It preserves the interior of the car, keeps it cooler, provides protection from the sun, etc. I don't have tinted windows but I am just saying.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 48,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj View Post
I don't think there is anything you can do other than removing or replacing with legal tint. The law is the law and they have heard every excuse in the book and believe none of them. Some states allow darker tint on the rear windows, unfortunately, South Carolina is not one of them. Take it to a tint shop and tell them you need it replaced with the legal tint, they might not even charge you to remove it. Work a deal. Then tell the judge you had the old tint replaced and you are legal now. Bring the paperwork and your car as proof. Chances are they will reduce the ticket or maybe even drop it. Legal tint is better than no tint at all.

is there anyway i could just show them a picture of my car without the windows tinted from before? i just found it it would cost me a massive amout of money to get it removed... (3 of my windows down dont roll down b/c of bad wiring) you cant get tint put on if the window doesent roll down. this is so dumb i have to go through all this trouble for a dumb window. people are trafficing drugs all day long and they pull me for tint? makes me so mad

Old 05-11-2009, 07:52 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coronaextra667 View Post
is there anyway i could just show them a picture of my car without the windows tinted from before? i just found it it would cost me a massive amout of money to get it removed... (3 of my windows down dont roll down b/c of bad wiring) you cant get tint put on if the window doesent roll down. this is so dumb i have to go through all this trouble for a dumb window. people are trafficing drugs all day long and they pull me for tint? makes me so mad
I would seriously suggest legalizing the tint rather than committing perjury.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 24,041 times
I was stop in a small town for 15% on my tint the police did have a meter reader but it was at night when I got stop. I have never been stop by any cop and yes you can see through the windows. any suggestion before I head to court?

Old 04-29-2010, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 45,420 times
hello am deaf got a ticket and the highway officer pull me over and saw me and my friend signing each other i feel he made an excue to give me a ticket bec we were both deaf the office say am giving a ticket bec u have tinted window but i had my car almost 3 yrs and i got it like that at the dealer i even ask them about the window tinted thet they said it no plm it fine not dark so i went on get the car how can this offcier pull over for no reson and just me give a ticket just to fix his mistaken for pulling me over and he didn't even use a meter to test my window rated

Old 04-29-2010, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 45,420 times
Default have peace with deaf community

officer need give deaf ppl A chance to explain The situation i was trying to write down what i wanted to say on a note pad i guess he became upset and give me a ticket by making a excuse for my window tinted and that not right

Old 10-11-2010, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 21,903 times
my wife was pulled over and the cop said our windoow tint reading is 12 on the ticket but we have 35% smoke tint so its not possible so i went around to different police none could tell if it was to dark or not 2of the 3 said it looks ok then i found the cop who had the meter and he tested it at 15% in front of me and its not possible cause i had them tested back in 08 and it read 32% by a state trooper one week after i got the car so how do i prove that his meter is giving the wrong tint percentage ? specially since he read 2 different numbers i dont have no letter from the state trooper cause he said it was legal and i drove off ...

Old 10-17-2010, 11:20 PM

27 posts, read 72,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
If someone meterres it at 27 and that's the limit you should be fine. Maybe get a second reading as someone else advised and show up to court with the readings. It is not as if you can 'measure' tint by the naked eye- it was really the cops perception of the tint.

Does anyone else feel like the state of SC and various towns are trying to ticket their way out of the budget shortfalls?
No. Ticket quotas are illegal. PD's and gov't cannot order their cops to write X amount of tickets. The existence of ticket quotas is the biggest myth ever regarding law enforcement. LA County Sheriff Dept tried it decades ago, got sued, case law forbids quotas.

Many cops, troopers, deputies, haven't gotten raises in years now and are very unmotivated. If anything, they are writing less tickets than usual. BUT....it never seems that way to the person getting the ticket. Def understand why the public thinks that though, tickets suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina