Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 06:33 PM

138 posts, read 511,912 times

Advertisements

I plan to move to HHI in the fall. I have never been there before, so will be moving there sight unseen. (have been through SC though). Based on everything I have seen in film, magazines, etc., it sounds just right for me. Recently lived in Biloxi but became dismayed with it and its very dirty.
I just have two questions, is HHI neat, clean and orderly (I really like a Stepford Wives environment), but just so its not like Biloxi with garbage and litter all over. Also, what type of job opportunities exist? I have been in new construction sales (homes and condo's) for years, also, manage large, luxury apt. communities and senior housing. Do you think I would have a hard time finding something? I have gone to the HHI MLS and have found some great, reasonably priced condos "on plantation" and "off plantation"...so Im thinking...now may be the time to sieze the moment. Any other thoughts or comments on life there would be greatly appreciated. Please dont take my comments on cleanliness as negative or judgemental..I'm just a clean freak. Thanks to all who post, I appreciate your candor and...see you on the island!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 06:58 AM

970 posts, read 2,949,839 times
Question: Why would you move somewhere, sight unseen, especially in this economy?

Old 03-06-2009, 09:15 PM

41 posts, read 238,858 times
Hilton Head Island is very clean and well kept, in my opinion. Especially if you're comparing it to Biloxi. On I-95, there are some areas where there are some litter/trash in select areas (not bad though) but 95 doesn't cut directly through Hilton Head (no interstate does) so Hilton Head is very clean.

As far as the job outlook, I think the job outlook anywhere is horrible right now in this economy, and Hilton Head obviously isn't much better in that regard. I also will add that Hilton Head doesn't have a lot of large luxury apartment communities like you were talking about. But, that doesn't mean they couldn't use some Just be prepared to pay a lot for the land.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:23 AM

187 posts, read 980,149 times
Most of the decent apartment complexes here have been converted to "condos." They are thus managed by independent property managers.

When home sales pick up again, I do not doubt you will be able to find a job. Hilton Head's economy has fared far better than other areas. While tourism is the key driver of the local economy, much of it is still based on construction and home sales, both of which are very slow right now.

Hilton Head is pretty clean. Occasionally you will see trash in the medians that was blown out of dump trucks but the town does a good job of quickly picking it up (they have a couple of roaming "patrols" just for picking up debris). The biggest eyesore is now broken down cars along the highway but again, they are towed fairly quickly if the owner does not move them.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,653 times
For what it's worth...I visited HHI twice and decided it is DEFINITELY for me! I'm in the process of buying a condo. Here are the aspects I love...low signage, businesses are set off the main road (278) behind a nice tree line, so you would believe you are driving on an unspoiled island; but, all the conveniences are readily available. I like Myrtle Beach; but, it has grown too large and congested for my tastes and future plans. I love the Sea Pines area, gated; but, accessible for $5 which keeps traffic down a bit. Also, the lighthouse at the Harbor Town marina (within Sea Pines) is a nice area. Loved my time at the Crowne Royal complex, nicely done, higher end and there's a bike rental there...the beaches are white, hard packed, you can literally ride your bike all along the Atlantic. I look forward to the day I can live in HHI full time; but, for now, my weekends will have to do.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:45 PM

HHI Fan and others that know HHI Real Estate,

Re the condo that you are buying...if I may be a bit nosey. Is this condo located "on Plantation" or "off Plantation". If I understand correctly, anything "on" is more pricey, but more prestigious than "off". I went to hiltonheadislandmls.com and saw some condos...older, and in need of updating..."on Plantation" for under 175k...but only a couple. Then I saw some "off Plantation", that were brand new 3 story townhomes with attached garage for 150-177k.
Here is a question that I have for anyone...and of course, I understand everyone will have a different opinion.
In your estimation, would one be better off...IN A RESALE SITUATION...to have something "on Plantation" that may be older and outdated, but renovated to new...than something new "off Plantation"?
I hope I'm not rambling too much here with the off and on...but my understanding is that this is a big deal. Based on my 25 years of real estate experience, location is the most important factor, however...not being from there or knowing the market...perhaps it is not so?
Thanks again for listening to me.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:20 AM

Keep in mind that a lot of the new "off plantation" units are surrounded by less desirable areas. New developments off Spanish Wells Road, Squire Pope, and Gumtree are perfect examples where you will have decent new construction overlooking messy yards and trailers. This is especially true with less expensive condos.

Where exactly are you finding new 3-story townhomes with attached garages, on island, for $150-177k? Even the apartments turned condo are selling for that or more, and they do not have attached garages.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:46 PM

Where exactly are you finding new 3-story townhomes with attached garages, on island, for $150-177k?

127 Ceasar Place, $172,900, 129 Ceasar Place, $169,900, 133 Ceasar Place, $168,900, 137 Ceasar Place, $149,900. They were built between
05 and 07. Again, there "off" Plantation. I would have no clue if its in a good or bad area. Did not realize any area on the island was bad? I found all of them at hiltonheadmls.com...can I say that on here? Sorry if I'm not suppose to.
Thanks for any advise.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:51 AM

Ah, I know where that is. I do not think anything off Gumtree is horribly desirable. Gumtree, Squire Pope, Dillon Road, and Mathews Drive have most of the problematic areas on the north end of the island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina