Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 07:30 AM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
The whole area around the mall has has a lot of growth the mall itself hasn't grown much from the last time I was there. I've seen new housing come up around that area also. Visually I have to say that Florence has had more growth then Columbia in the 9 years I have been here. From what I remember & I haven't been there in a while it has all been just in that one area. I'm sure I'll get crap over this.

Columbia's growth (or sprawl) is spread throughout the entire metro (Irmo/Harbison, Lexington, SE Cola, NE Cola, and downtown). Florence's growth has been around the Magnolia Mall and to some degree in South Florence (near Freedom Florence). So its more concentrated while Columbia's is more spread out. Also, Florence lagged for years and growth exploded in these two areas after the Civic Center was built (near the Mall) and the Hospital expanded in South Florence...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 05:21 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Columbia's growth (or sprawl) is spread throughout the entire metro (Irmo/Harbison, Lexington, SE Cola, NE Cola, and downtown). Florence's growth has been around the Magnolia Mall and to some degree in South Florence (near Freedom Florence). So its more concentrated while Columbia's is more spread out. Also, Florence lagged for years and growth exploded in these two areas after the Civic Center was built (near the Mall) and the Hospital expanded in South Florence...

I've only notcied a bit of growth in Irmo/Harbison it's so cluttered it's hard to tell. Now Lexington going out 378 has a lot of growth. I agree with you about Florence's growth being in only a couple of areas though. That might seem why it had a lot of growth. My soon to be ex-wife is from there so I highly doubt I will see Florence again.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:22 AM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
I am surprised that more development hasnt occurred around the Florence Airport. The area is basically a glorified trailer park sales center and not a good first impression into the area. I did read a master plan that has targeted that area for some sort of intermodal technology/manufactering zone because the airport has an old rail spur with bridge over 378 that connects into the CSX main East Coast Line.. So in theory some manufacturing, and even some office could be placed in the area and take advantage of both rail and air cargo not to mention the execs and engineers could literally walk across the street and fly commercially to anywhere in the world. Mcleod is literally blocks away.. which could add medical research and the like to the mix.

Additionally if Estate Road.. just east of the Airport is improved to Old Marion Highway and a new road built to connect it on through to W. McIver Rd.. The airport would have a more direct route to I-95 which could improve shipping options for ground transport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina